Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2022 wolverine x4-850. I'm thinking of buying an inferno heater that mounts in the front left wheel well. I looked at a youtube from Wolverine Nation that detailed the install and it looks easy compared to the under seat heaters. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with these Inferno heaters?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I installed an Inferno in my 2019 X2 and an under-the-seat heater in my Gen1 Wolvy. I would never install one under the seat if you ride through much water because the heater unit will be soaked in mud water, blow the fuse if it's running and water is up to the fan blades, and then blow steam on your windshield. It's a dumb location IMO unless you never ride in water.

The Inferno heater tucked in left wheel well is much better. I made a small rubber splash guard to keep mud from blasting the heater motor. I think it was kind of a pain making it fit, routing the air ducts, etc. It works, and I'm glad I have it, but I'm not sure I would do it again. Don't expect the defrost vents to blow the amount of hot air that your automobile blows. Also, IMO and others, you really need to also install a heater bypass valve to get good, consistent heat. Bypass Valve | Inferno Cab Heaters - UTV Heaters, Heater Kits I think it's probably the best choice for a heater.

Massive and others on this forum have some tricks for DIY heaters that capture radiator heat or heat from the engine compartment.

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah, I cannot imagine the under-seat-heaters lasting very long if you ride in any water. The entire unit would be soaked in mud/silt water with no way to clean it w/o tearing the machine apart. I sold that machine pretty quickly so I cannot speak to the longevity. The wheel well models don't get as muddy as you might think, but I still made a splash guard to divert most of the mud.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I cannot imagine the under-seat-heaters lasting very long if you ride in any water. The entire unit would be soaked in mud/silt water with no way to clean it w/o tearing the machine apart. I sold that machine pretty quickly so I cannot speak to the longevity. The wheel well models don't get as muddy as you might think, but I still made a splash guard to divert most of the mud.
That splash guard is a real good idea. Thanks for the picture. I'll be a copy cat.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wish I would have went with the inferno. The OE Yamaha heater sucks.

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 XT-R
621 Posts
I installed an Inferno in my 2019 X2 and an under-the-seat heater in my Gen1 Wolvy. I would never install one under the seat if you ride through much water because the heater unit will be soaked in mud water, blow the fuse if it's running and water is up to the fan blades, and then blow steam on your windshield. It's a dumb location IMO unless you never ride in water.

The Inferno heater tucked in left wheel well is much better. I made a small rubber splash guard to keep mud from blasting the heater motor. I think it was kind of a pain making it fit, routing the air ducts, etc. It works, and I'm glad I have it, but I'm not sure I would do it again. Don't expect the defrost vents to blow the amount of hot air that your automobile blows. Also, IMO and others, you really need to also install a heater bypass valve to get good, consistent heat. Bypass Valve | Inferno Cab Heaters - UTV Heaters, Heater Kits I think it's probably the best choice for a heater.

Massive and others on this forum have some tricks for DIY heaters that capture radiator heat or heat from the engine compartment.
How difficult is it to install? And how long did it take you?

·
Registered
255 Posts
How difficult is it to install? And how long did it take you?
It's not all that difficult, it's working in tight places more than anything. Routing the duct work and such took some time. For some unknown reason I had some small coolant leaks at the fittings that required double hose clamps and retightening. I would install 2 quality hose clamps at each fitting to begin with. I would just set aside a day to complete the project.

Raise the front end off the ground such that the radiator cap is higher than the heater unit and then run it up to temperature with the radiator cap off to burp the air out of system, then check and re-check your coolant levels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts