Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wasn't much of a test, but at least I was able to see it, sit in it and drive it.....

Anyways, I'm new here, and this is my second post (posted intro). I'm looking at getting a side x side and the Wolverine and Commander are at the top of my list. A dealer near me finally received one this week and I was able to go look at and drive it this morning. I have a few observations, booth good and not so much....

1. Build quality (fit & finish) looks top notch.
2. Roll cage looks and feels very robuts.
3. Styling looks better looks better in person than in photos. This one was green, but blue is my preference, at least of currently available colors (I'll get to that in a minute).
4. The size of the bed looked very acceptable for me. It will easily hold a deer. I'll get to function later.
5. THE CAB SIZE IS PERFECT!!! PLENTY OF SHOULDER ROOM, NOT CRAMPED. My right leg did rest against the center console, but it wasn't a nuisance by any means. (I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs for reference)
6. THE SEATS ARE AWESOME!!! VERY COMFY!!
7. Storage in cab was very pleasing.
8. Drive and ride was very smooth.
9. It wasn't loud in any way.

Dislikes
1. The bed seemed a little flimsy, particularly the side wells. I understand the light'ish capacity rating now.
2. Roll cage seems too tall. I'd like to see it 3 or 4 inches lower at the highest point. I had plenty of head room.
3. Tires...best I can tell, these Bighorns are not radials. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

A few other observations, not really good or bad.
1. Power seemed sufficient. I didn't have a lot of room in the parking lot, but I did stab it a couple of times. It wasn't overly impressive or disappointing.
2. I expected the throttle response to be better than it was. The RZR's have to spool up some rpm's before they really start pulling, it was one of the first things I noticed when I drove one. The Wolverine seemed better, but more lag than I expected with the constant belt tension of the Ultramatic.
3. I wish the bed dumped. No, I wouldn't use it often, but it would be nice to have the few occasions I would use it. I have to think that could have been included for an additional $200 of cost.

Overall, I was very impressed with the machine. I'm sure it will be very comfortable on the trails for extended periods of time. I'd love to drive one in a location where I could evaluate the suspension as that seems to be the strength of this vehicle.

I hear all kinds of stories about what their salesman told them, so I'll share a couple things the salesman told me. This one was green. He offered up that they had other colors on order, including red. I said, "I didn't know they were available in red." To which he responded, "they have other colors coming soon, I think even black." I just found that interesting. After driving it, he asked me what I thought of the power. I told him it was good, but didn't seem as punchy as the Can Am. He said that he believed there would be a 900 version of the Wolverine available by fall. That would peak my interest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I have heard and it's from good sources the next one out is going to be a direct competitor to the RZR 1000 and a purpose driven sport vehicle
A salesman at a different dealership told me that as well, and that is what I expect. Although, if the new sport ride has a new 900ish engine it would likely be a a simple drop in replacement which means minimal additional development investment to release a Wolverine 900. I'll be patient and see what they do.. Yamaha typically offers some incentives in late summer and early fall. Hopefully by that point the dealers will be willing to deal on price, plus add the Yamaha incentives.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree the cage is too tall. I thought all bighorns were radials?
I thought so too, but I did read somewhere that Yamaha worked with Maxxis to develop a bighorn specifically for their application. The tread on it isn't as flat as most radials I've seen. I don't recall seeing a 26x8 & 26x10 in the bighorn product offering. Also, there is no 'R' designation in the tire size on the side of the tire. I think that is required as a designator on radial construction tires.

·
Super Moderator
465 Posts
Big Horn 2.0's are 6PR too. It looks like Wolveine's are 2PR best I could read the little writing in the picture..

·
Registered
186 Posts
the new machine will be completely different from the Wolverine
YEP! 1,000 cc is what I've heard, suspect it will be a longer wheelbase as well and the lowest power Yamaha sport 1000cc engines currently makes is 160 HP, so it will be interesting to see what actually shows up at the release perhaps sometime in June!

·
Banned
504 Posts
YEP! 1,000 cc is what I've heard, suspect it will be a longer wheelbase as well and the lowest power Yamaha sport 1000cc engines currently makes is 160 HP, so it will be interesting to see what actually shows up at the release perhaps sometime in June!
probly more like 900cc with 115-120 hp

·
Registered
6 Posts
As far as the 1000cc? I will believe it when I see it... Even if they do build it, they will limit it to 52mph, just like the Wolverine and Viking.

·
Banned
504 Posts
. People know things about unreleased vehicles. People have driven them. Unfortunately, these people have also signed Non-Disclosure Agreements.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts