Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

I need an intercom that supports two headsets and also connects to a handheld radio

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Maggot 
#1 ·
In the winter while we are doing a lot of riding on the Arizona border, my wife and I find we don't get to communicate much, even though there is a lot to talk about. The scenery is spectacular. But it is hard to talk over engine noise, especially since my bad ear is on her side. I'd like to be able to use headsets to cut down on noise, and an intercom to allow us to talk back and forth, In the summer we ride with a club in the high mountains and forests. That group wants you to be on a CB or Family Radio channel while you ride. Does anyone know of a headset-based intercom system that will also let you plug in a handheld radio? And talk via VOX rather than using a push-to-talk switch. I've been over all the posts here and haven't seen this covered. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who responded. I've been following the discussion via my iPhone Max but wasn't able to log in and reply. Not sure why. But I'm back at my computer now so here goes: The Sena Tuftalk suggestion from fjrMurph sounds like a great option, but they cost $400 apiece! Yikes!. Maggot's suggestion of a motorcycle helmet system sounds good if I can find a system that doesn't involve a helmet. We ride slow with harnesses in a roll cage, so no helmets. I had the same idea as Punkinhead, and dug out the old portable system I used to use in a rental Cessna 172 that had no intercom. But I really don't wan to use my Dave Clark headsets, they'd get too dirty. But that's still on the table. JimClemjr's suggestion about reprogramming a Rugged Radio is probably beyond my skill set and the "big bucks" comment makes it less attractive. So after digesting all your comments, I'm thinking I need to find a couple of noise canceling, over -the -ear headset with mic booms and VOX capability, that will connect to each other and also with a radio through a system like the one Maggot described. Then I just need to make sure VOX works for the intercom function but not for the radio. I"ll report back where when I find all that. Thanks again to all, for your support and suggestions.

Reactions: Maggot
Discussion starter · #9 · (Edited)
Been researching this a little more... Bluetooth GMRS radio and should be able to pair with any helmet Bluetooth headset. Can get both for 50 bucks.

I have a bluetooth helmet headset now, along with a separate autocom system. I'll pick up a Bluetooth radio.
I'm struggling to find GMRS radios that will pair with headphones AND allow the headphones to keep their intercom role. One said this: Bluetooth compatible -allows radio to pair with Bluetooth headset for “hands-free” operations. So I guess it means we can both talk on the radios via bluetooth. But not use the bluetooth headsets as an intercom. Unless the secret is the autocom system. So far, searches for "Autocom" have taken me to a company that makes clutch parts. I did, however, find the Sena SR10-10 Bluetooth Adapter for Two-Way Radios or Mobile Phones. But I believe users said you had to leave it set to radio or to intercom but it couldn't do both at the same time.

So far the best intercom I've found seems to be the Eartec UL2D UltraLITE Full Duplex Wireless bluetooth units, a pair (or more) of self-contained headsets. They provide muffs for sound dampening and noise cancelling boom mics. All battery operated, so no wires. About $400 for two. But unless I can get some other system to pair with it they won't give me the radio capability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.