Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So they are building street legal builds!! Why not for other markets as well. Not just Canadian builds sent to CR.
I believe they are made street legal after delivery in Costa Rica by the main dealer/importer. JungleRider could answer with more detail but I'm virtually certain they are not coming from Yamaha with the street legal mods. In fact I think JungleRider told me that they fit some very basic clamp on blinkers and such that we may want to look at replacing/upgrading to some kind of nicer fitment. I think they just do minimum they have to do to get it to pass RTV inspection.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
Oh, I believe most would prefer theirs were now. Makes life easier travelig on pavement and/or shoulders of highways. I use my arm but some times you or I can't signal as effectively or long enough. Its a simple feature to add. duel element bulbs and flashers to switch as required.

Anyway, I wonder what kit or how they're implementing them if its every SxS they have a system of some sort.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh, I believe most would prefer theirs were now. Makes life easier travelig on pavement and/or shoulders of highways. I use my arm but some times you or I can't signal as effectively or long enough. Its a simple feature to add. duel element bulbs and flashers to switch as required.

Anyway, I wonder what kit or how they're implementing them if its every SxS they have a system of some sort.
Hopefully in a few weeks I can post pics and info of what I get. Fingers crossed that shipping/port/customs/trucking and etc. goes smoothly. LOL at anything going quick/smooth in Latin America.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe they are made street legal after delivery in Costa Rica by the main dealer/importer. JungleRider could answer with more detail but I'm virtually certain they are not coming from Yamaha with the street legal mods. In fact I think JungleRider told me that they fit some very basic clamp on blinkers and such that we may want to look at replacing/upgrading to some kind of nicer fitment. I think they just do minimum they have to do to get it to pass RTV inspection.
You are correct. Yamaha does not have or make a street legal version. That is something that is done here once it arrives in Country. There is no ‘kit’ used. Its pretty simple, signals, horn, turn signal switch, horn button, license plate light, a mirror, and a wire harness. Once I get the vehicles to my shop, I offer upgrades on those components, mostly quality mirrors and led signals. Most anything can be made street legal here, 2 strokes included.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm the last person who should be requesting this as I hardly ever post pics but I really want to see some pics of the RMAX in the jungle.
How about an X4 in the Jungle? Until the RMAX arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
awww it's taking a nap in the shade lol

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX4 XTR
494 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
I did an ATV tour while vacationing near Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica. They ran the tour out of the hotel where we were staying so all you had to do was pay the fee and you were done.

That morning, the guide pulled back a large tarp covering the machines complete with baloney skin tires, mismatched body panels (some were missing), bent handlebars and coolers strapped on the rear cargo racks... all had seen better days. The guide started the machines to let them warm up while he stocked the coolers with water and lots of cerveza!! He had a large cooler on his ride stuffed with "lunch" that included a variety of fruits and seafood, most of which I couldn't identify.

Luckily the group was small, 4 ATV's plus the guide and all were somewhat experienced riders. They showed you where the throttle and brake was, how to shift and that concluded the training session. The tour left the hotel @10:00 a.m. and returned around 4:00 p.m. It took us into the very dense jungle where we rode footpaths, creek beds and thru some of the worst poverty you could ever imagine. The tiny village's homes consisted of skid walls with tin/dirt roofs, no electricity or running water. The livestock lived with the people and the chickens had free range of the open air dwellings. We seen crocodiles on the river bank, heard howler monkeys in the trees and spotted all kinds of unusual birds and reptiles... it truly was another world.

We were frequently stuck due to the bald tires and one in the group got a flat, the guide had to go get a spare while we anxiously waited alone in the jungle... I'm glad we had plenty of beer! It was one of those experiences you keep for life and feel very blessed I had a chance to do it. It puts a smile on my face every time I think about it, what a ride!

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
Having lunch or beer there where you might be lunch for the inhabitants.!!!

I did a offroad ride in Cuba with suzuki 4x4 standard vehicles. 4 people squeezed in and I don't drive standard. Know how but not proficient. I figure its offroad so i'd be ok. but the leader took us along highway, across lighted intersections and through a town. I stalled it a few times trying to get moving. I was real nervous, if I had a traffic violation they'd throw away the keys. No license to drive there etc. Never again!!! Some dirt roads and such in the mix but not what I expected.

Reactions: Paul65 and BubbaJo

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I can't help but to post again due to excitement but I have to credit JungleRider with the photo though he didn't take it. This is at the main dealer/importer in the capital city of San Jose. Interesting to see how the thing is packed in an exoskeleton for ocean freight.

Somewhat surprisingly things are happening as fast or faster than expected at this point. Machine will be ready for me to pick up faster than I can get there to take delivery.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It’s an eye popping $38k including 52.29% Import tax and numerous other taxes and fees.

thevonly good news is that used vehicles in Costa Rica are expensive too as the import tax value is always “baked in” to the price of any vehicle so in theory this money is not Completely lost but just tied up in the vehicle until you sell it.
That Tax is enough to send a person over the edge! I won't complain about DMV taxes in Oregon any more!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts