Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the US but I have a house in Costa Rica way down in the Southern Zone where 4WD is necessary just to get around. I've been wanting a 4-seat SxS but I wanted something more sporty rather than a farm machine. In CR we can use them on any road and they end up being a "daily driver" of sorts for runs to teh store, beach, etc.

Being in Costa Rica the only brands I would trust for reliability and parts/service availability are Honda and Yamaha. No way I'd try to own and maintain a RZR there.

I was looking at the Talon 4 but then the RMAX4 was announced and I realized this was a much better machine for our needs.

So it seems that Costa Rica is getting Canadian spec machines so the top of the line choice for me is the RMAX™4 1000 EPS SE. I'm told there is no limited edition in Canada due to no maps for Adventure Pro. I am also told that the XT-R is not called that in Canada but called EPS SE and that the only difference is it doesn't have the Adventure Pro.

In any case I was trying to confirm differences. The Canadia Yamaha site doesn't give too much detail.

Specifically the Canadian site does not mention:
  • D-mode switch
  • interior lighting
  • Backlit switches

I know it doesn't get the Adventure Pro.

Any Canadians taken delivery of an EPS SE yet?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I haven’t taken deliver of mine yet but have one on order. Fairly certain it comes with interior lighting, D-mode and backlit switches. Hopefully I can confirm in the next few days.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Costa Rican dealer says it is identical to XT-R but without Adventure Pro. Not sure how he would know that for sure so was wondering what teh community thought/observed. Thanks for response.

·
Registered
905 Posts

Here is the Canadian RMAX. He's calling it an XT-R but it's actually an SE.
  • D-mode switch
  • interior lighting
  • Backlit switches
He talks about it having all the above but not the Adventure Pro. I've met this guy a couple of times when I've been out riding. What's a little confusing is that he talks about the LE model but I don't see it on the Yamaha Canada website.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Talked to a couple of dealers today and the LE wont be available in Canada for 2021. Maybe for 2022.

Reactions: Wolverinegramps

·
Registered
754 Posts
My Costa Rican dealer says it is identical to XT-R but without Adventure Pro. Not sure how he would know that for sure so was wondering what teh community thought/observed. Thanks for response.
What price are you quoted for your RMAX4 in Costa Rica? Be an awesome place to run a Side by Side. Your better off with Yamaha even over Honda. Good luck.

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What price are you quoted for your RMAX4 in Costa Rica? Be an awesome place to run a Side by Side. Your better off with Yamaha even over Honda. Good luck.
It’s an eye popping $38k including 52.29% Import tax and numerous other taxes and fees.

thevonly good news is that used vehicles in Costa Rica are expensive too as the import tax value is always “baked in” to the price of any vehicle so in theory this money is not Completely lost but just tied up in the vehicle until you sell it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
It’s an eye popping $38k including 52.29% Import tax and numerous other taxes and fees.

thevonly good news is that used vehicles in Costa Rica are expensive too as the import tax value is always “baked in” to the price of any vehicle so in theory this money is not Completely lost but just tied up in the vehicle until you sell it.
I figured it had to be high. But damn.... Mine was $21,500 for my RMAX XTR out the door and we don't have sales tax in my state. Well it will be worth it. I'm sure some good riding in Costa. Take it you can street legal it? It's only money can't take it with ya. lol

Reactions: JungleRider

·
Registered
905 Posts
in the video it clearly shows XT-R logos on the graphics. Maybe it was a Yamaha owned press vehicle in US spec and not a real Canadian version?
It doesn’t have the Adventure Pro so I don’t think it’s a US model. They call it an SE model here in Canada although it has XT-R decals. I can confirm shortly when I get mine.

·
Registered
905 Posts

And I thought it was expensive here.lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured it had to be high. But damn.... Mine was $21,500 for my RMAX XTR out the door and we don't have sales tax in my state. Well it will be worth it. I'm sure some good riding in Costa. Take it you can street legal it? It's only money can't take it with ya. lol
Yeah you can drive these (and ATVs/dirtbikes) legally on the road. We will use it as a "daily driver" was well as a toy. There are hundreds of square miles of jungle with a variety of "roads" and trails. Tons of terrain. Lots of water crossings. Plenty of mud in rainy season. Many places to explore. I like to ride to get somewhere as much as to just ride for the sake of riding.

It is a challenge to get up the road to our house. 4WD and some decent tires/clearance are necessary. You can make it with a rental cute UTE if you know the road and know how to conserve momentum but guests who rent a tiny SUV are usually stressed out and frazzled by the drive. The RMAX will make this childs play.

For a main vehicle I have an awesome Series 80 Land Cruiser diesel which is unstoppable but for day to day running around the SxS will be easier/faster/funner "daily driver" around town, shopping runs, beach, etc. It will be easier for wifey/kids/guests to hop in and go. The land cruiser is manual trans, manual transfer case, separate diff locking buttons, and it is pushing 30 years old so not so easy for people other than me to drive without a briefing first. The Land Bruiser will be used for longer explorations.

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
983 Posts
They call it the SE up here, even though it has XTR decals on it. I've seen a few of them now at dealers and they're all the same. I had an email chat with Yamaha Canada folks just after release in Sept, that said no LE coming here, and no adventure pro, nor USB outlet. He advpro can be purchased though.

in the video it clearly shows XT-R logos on the graphics. Maybe it was a Yamaha owned press vehicle in US spec and not a real Canadian version?

·
Registered
73 Posts
They call it the SE up here, even though it has XTR decals on it. I've seen a few of them now at dealers and they're all the same. I had an email chat with Yamaha Canada folks just after release in Sept, that said no LE coming here, and no adventure pro, nor USB outlet. He advpro can be purchased though.
Called the XTR here in Australia. As in Canada the only model available. And limited supply from December only.

WOLVERINE RMAX4 1000 XT-R = $ 28,249.00 INC GST

WOLVERINE RMAX2 1000 XT-R = $ 26,749.00 INC GST

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yeah you can drive these (and ATVs/dirtbikes) legally on the road. We will use it as a "daily driver" was well as a toy. There are hundreds of square miles of jungle with a variety of "roads" and trails. Tons of terrain. Lots of water crossings. Plenty of mud in rainy season. Many places to explore. I like to ride to get somewhere as much as to just ride for the sake of riding.

It is a challenge to get up the road to our house. 4WD and some decent tires/clearance are necessary. You can make it with a rental cute UTE if you know the road and know how to conserve momentum but guests who rent a tiny SUV are usually stressed out and frazzled by the drive. The RMAX will make this childs play.

For a main vehicle I have an awesome Series 80 Land Cruiser diesel which is unstoppable but for day to day running around the SxS will be easier/faster/funner "daily driver" around town, shopping runs, beach, etc. It will be easier for wifey/kids/guests to hop in and go. The land cruiser is manual trans, manual transfer case, separate diff locking buttons, and it is pushing 30 years old so not so easy for people other than me to drive without a briefing first. The Land Bruiser will be used for longer explorations.
Well your gonna have a great daily driver then with your RMAX. Good to hear you can make it street legal. Sounds like some beautiful riding for sure in the Costa Rica mountains. Much the same with me in Montana. Sweet deal with the Land Bruiser diesel. Wish I could get a Yota truck with a diesel in the states. You'll have to show more of your terrain and mountains once you have your RMAX.

Reactions: Wolverinegramps

·
Registered
905 Posts
Called the XTR here in Australia. As in Canada the only model available. And limited supply from December only.

WOLVERINE RMAX4 1000 XT-R = $ 28,249.00 INC GST

WOLVERINE RMAX2 1000 XT-R = $ 26,749.00 INC GST
If you were to pay full list here in Canada:

Wolverine RMAX4 1000 SE (XT-R) is more than $34,000.00 incl. GST and freight here in my province
Wolverine RMAX2 1000 SE is more than $31,000.00 incl. GST and freight

Some dealers will also add $400.00 PDI charge on top of this. Very limited availability here in Ontario. I’ve been waiting 6 weeks for mine now. I’m told it will show up any day. Limited production is due to Coronavirus.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well after 5 months of waiting it looks like my machine is getting closer. The main Yamaha dealer is San Jose sent this to my local Yamaha dealer today:

"container should arrive to port tomorrow, it should take approximately 10 days to have it in our office. Then RTV are on Thursdays, so we will do it 15th and deliver 16th.

everything has to go well.. we have had delays of all kinds, port congestion being the most that worries me"

RTV is vehicle inspection (they are street legal in costa rica so have to meet requirements with blinkers and such."

SO in a perfect world I'm just over 2 weeks from having a machine to my town in Costa Rica. Unfortunately I am not there at that time. I may have to make a special trip just to take delivery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well after 5 months of waiting it looks like my machine is getting closer. The main Yamaha dealer is San Jose sent this to my local Yamaha dealer today:

"container should arrive to port tomorrow, it should take approximately 10 days to have it in our office. Then RTV are on Thursdays, so we will do it 15th and deliver 16th.

everything has to go well.. we have had delays of all kinds, port congestion being the most that worries me"

RTV is vehicle inspection (they are street legal in costa rica so have to meet requirements with blinkers and such."

SO in a perfect world I'm just over 2 weeks from having a machine to my town in Costa Rica. Unfortunately I am not there at that time. I may have to make a special trip just to take delivery.
You’re getting the first one in CR. Mines second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You’re getting the first one in CR. Mines second
Well hello there Will. I'm glad we have the sequence clear and publicly posted now. First one is mine!

I know you very generously offered to not only have it gassed up and ready to go for me but you offered so kindly to have it broken in as well. You are generous but I don't want to put you out with all the trouble to take a brand new machine never seen before in the country out to bash around the jungle. You don't want to have to hassle with that so just park it in the showroom and put a red velvet rope around it and I'll take the burden of putting the break in kilometers on it.

Pura Vida!

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,490 Posts
So they are building street legal builds!! Why not for other markets as well. Not just Canadian builds sent to CR.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts