Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I read from deeyoh and wi rider talk about this replacement sheave I believe it was aHunterworks. coming from two technical guys I ask them if I had someone install one in my wolverine will it make rock crawling easier on the takeoff. It seems that when starting off now that it seems to strain the clutch and belt which.I think would be hard on the machine. Would the benifit justify the cost and is it worth changing the factory setup.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Definitely would make rock crawling much easier. Slug kit would make for a smoother engagement and harder lockup from 0-3mph. The sheave will allow a lower gear ratio for takeoff so you will get more torque to the wheels. It all works together.

I went with the Hunterworks sheave because it's a no grease design and I go through a lot of water.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Because I know it's just a matter of time before I swamp it (Goes above the intake). Once it's swamped with grease in there it's a huge mess and your not going anywhere. With no grease.. pull the plug and let dry out for a few minutes. Then back on the trail.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Been running with this setup for over 600 miles and no problems at all. Probably have 50 service road miles and the rest is hard trail miles on it. We'll see how it holds up, I'll be riding it hard until December.. then the wife takes over.

FTM... I put up pictures and video's in the Hunterwork section if you want to compare. I have no affiliation and just giving my opinions. Was worried how it would hold up with no grease and dust. Seems to be doing well and the dust isn't grinding the weights away or flat spotting them.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Been running with this setup for over 600 miles and no problems at all. Probably have 50 service road miles and the rest is hard trail miles on it. We'll see how it holds up, I'll be riding it hard until December.. then the wife takes over.

FTM... I put up pictures and video's in the Hunterwork section if you want to compare. I have no affiliation and just giving my opinions. Was worried how it would hold up with no grease and dust. Seems to be doing well and the dust isn't grinding the weights away or flat spotting them.
I'll check it out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What in the world is a slug kit? Does it come with sheave? I have little mechanical knowledge of that kind.of stuff. The big question is where in the world can you find.someone that could do the job correctly. Can't imagine dealer wanting to do something like that

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
What in the world is a slug kit? Does it come with sheave? I have little mechanical knowledge of that kind.of stuff. The big question is where in the world can you find.someone that could do the job correctly. Can't imagine dealer wanting to do something like that
I'm certain a dealer would install it, but they may or may not want to honor any drive train warranty after the fact. A slug kit is nothing more than small weights that get put into holes in the clutch itself. The added weight increases clamping force because of the centrifugal force created by rotation. The job itself is not terribly hard, and certainly not for a dealer. Essentially, its the same.procedure they would do to pull the clutch for repair. What area do you live? Maybe a member is near you who could help with the install. Here is a link for some information. KMS is the company who originated the slug kit.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you ford truck man for the info. I live in the center of the state of wv . A place called clarksburg.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank all for the info

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thank you ford truck man for the info. I live in the center of the state of wv . A place called clarksburg.
I'm somewhat close to you. I'm in Ohio, but can stand on my front porch and see Parkersburg. Actually picked my Wolverine up pretty close to halfway between us in Pennsboro.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will contact you this evening

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found that site online we're going to Hatfields next week I'll pass right by there I will stop and see him thanks again for the info

·
Vendor
764 Posts
Click the link below to see the slug kit along with a tech article and install video

I would highly recommend you install your slug kit and a sheave if you get one yourself

Polaris RZR XP 900, Polaris Ranger 800 - Wet Clutch Slug Kit

Todd

·
Registered
388 Posts
I watched the videos of that clutch work on that Viking a while back from JBS. Very good video you could watch it and do it yourself... but.... Unless you have the tools already, and a half way decent shop to work out of its gonna be a pain in the butt. If you don't already have the tools you are gonna spend some cash to get them. May be better off in some cases letting a mechanic it. They gotta eat too!

·
Vendor
764 Posts
I watched the videos of that clutch work on that Viking a while back from JBS. Very good video you could watch it and do it yourself... but.... Unless you have the tools already, and a half way decent shop to work out of its gonna be a pain in the butt. If you don't already have the tools you are gonna spend some cash to get them. May be better off in some cases letting a mechanic it. They gotta eat too!

The issue I have seen here is almost 100% of the time a mechanic will not do it right, why? Because this is not taking off a OEM part and putting a new one back on. If they are not willing to watch the install videos then they typically mess it up then the owner thinks its the product.

Our sheave is the worst, it ends up with grease back in it or leave the grease out and they put the cover back on etc. On a rhino, they leave off the shim etc.

Not really much tools at all and probably cheaper to buy the tools than pay a guy

Todd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts