Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Romeo Barrera is around I’d love his opinion on this.

I’ve been using ER for years in all of my vehicles and motorcycles. I’ve never experienced any failure of any kind, whether engine, gear boxes, trannys, etc. I’ve had about 6 vehicles and 15 machines. I have the 2019 X4 but haven’t used ER in it yet.

I see HW has Gear Butter out now and I know Romeo has been testing it. My question to him and any others who may have experience with one or the other is this:

What is your opinion, if you have one, on using ER products in the X4 engine, gear boxes etc?

What is your opinion, if you have one, on using HW Gear Butter in the gear boxes? Where else can/should it be used?

Thanks to all who respond with meaningful experiences and/or data, anecdotal or otherwise.

(I will note that ER is NOT designed for use in posi-trac or limited slip diffs.) and NO I am not a rep for ER lol. Serious inquiry! I’ve purchased stuff from Todd before so I know the gear butter is probably good stuff!

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,091 Posts
I've never used ER and what concerns me is that there isn't much information about it other than 'it's a metal treatment' and cursory research gives hints about being a chlorinated paraffin, which, if true, raises red flags for me.

There is an engine additive\treatment that I'm also testing that's safe for the wet clutch. I wish I could provide you some data points such as before/after temps of my gearboxes or wear tests, something I'm not set up to do, but I can tell you that I use the grease formulation (TinkSeal) in my daily carry as well as my AR-15 and my groupings are pretty consistent and both firearms function very well. Obviously my initial positive results are from putting thousands of miles on my Viking and now my X4 sheaves. I've been using TinkSeal on everything that moves from my soft cab zippers to my sway bar bushings to hinges and I use it in both my primary/secondary sheaves to lubricate the center shafts. I can tell you that what I love about the grease is that stays put and doesn't sling like high temp grease and that once the grease 'dries out', you essentially have a dry-lubed part just like your HW sheave/rollers. Rubber seals create a lot of friction and this treats the seals themselves, reducing friction from the seals as well as helps them last longer.

The 'insurance' which I hope to never put to the test is that if I should have a lubrication failure such as a seal blowing or whatnot, the metal should stay treated and damage should be minimized\reduced\eliminated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback! I’ll keep following in the event others weigh in with their experiences. Appreciate you taking the time.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Vendor
767 Posts
Energy Release is for engines and not just for gear boxes, does not have nano particles, it appears it is just snake oil!!! LOL

The reason you have not seen what we have commercially available is, it is a lot of trouble to make and expensive to make

Todd

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,091 Posts
From what I understand is that chlorinated paraffins do reduce friction but they're highly corrosive and toxic. If you're a racer that rebuilds your engine every other race then that may not matter to you. If it treated the metal and that treatment stayed after the product was drained for a decent amount of time without the corrosive effects then I could see the benefits but I believe it's only good while it's in there and may save you a catastrophic failure in a racing condition where you lose oil pressure\lubrication, but isn't a long term\daily driver solution.

Ceramic\nano additives\treatments are basically inert. They don't bond with the metal on a chemical level but on mechanical one, although you can have parts sent off to be professionally coated\treated with dry lubes\treatments or buy parts already coated. Examples in the firearm world are Nickle-teflon triggers (I'm using this), nickle-boron or black nitrided (I'm using black nitrided myself)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts