Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Here is the Kubota some of you may have seen at Hatfield & McCoy. It only goes about 25 MPH stock, 30 MPH with a suitable turbo (because it has a tractor transmission/hydrostat, and once you reach a point, even twice the motor won't garner even another MPH, but here's the fun...it will pull a freight train at those speeds when the trans/throttle is adjusted correctly, and will out-climb a Jeep, where momentum isn't key. Every time I go someplace big, I spend much of my time recovering other people with it. I can pull disable vehicles up inclines than many struggle to make by themselves. Truth is, if I had to get rid of all of my other toys, this Kubota would be the constant. Never buy one for speed, as if you do, you're gonna be pissed! But if shoving an old dead tree over is more appealing than finding a way around it, the RTV is the stuff! If you want to climb like a goat...yep - the stuff. Tired of the elements but still want to get back in there no matter what the weather...the stuff! High winds got you worried?...with about the same footprint as an Rmax, but 2700 pounds, you guessed it...the stuff. View attachment 99200
They look like quit the rig, good to have if the world gets crazy as diesel fuel stores better than gasoline long-term. Considering a work rig on the acreage, recovery vehicle/spare SXS, and something the 91 year old mother-in-law can easily enter/exit. She’s always hauling brush and garbage to the burn pile…stays busy with the Honda foreman quad with dump trailer. Looked around this morning appears they are not easy to find here in the PNW. Need to spend some money by year end or the tax man cometh. Definitely a shortage of equipment this year (as well as repair parts, pvc pipe, etc…).

That machine exists without a cab which is a factory build part of the machine like a truck cab. Its no a snap on option with doors etc. No dust no heat no rain no snow but climate controlled and windshield wiper. Like Hickabilly said. Its no speed demon but goes through everything. I was surprise about that with the tires on them. Also no front diff lock from the spec's I read long ago.

Reactions: Hickabilly
Discussion starter · #23 ·
Yep...after the first gen 1100 the X series (current) went to an outstanding tight limited-slip. Unlike CanAm, it doesn't leave you with 3-wheel drive...they both pull, until real bind starts to happen, and then the clutch finally lets one spin a bit, but just a bit. About as close as you can get to spooled and still have needed slip. Kubota does this for pretty much for the same reason most mixer trucks have one axle disabled...because if you forget to unlock the diff on concrete, something is going to give. They are too heavy to be forgetting to unlock, and it's REAL hydraulic power steering, and so you may not feel the bind until you done twisted an axle. And I imagine warranty claims would get stupid. Still, there has to be a better solution, that Kubota has yet to factor into the machine. But, to be honest, I have literally never found a situation where that unlocked front-end would have made a difference. Even in this photo, both fronts are digging...not that it mattered much! Last Winter...broke through the ice and that creek has a near quicksand bottom. At one point I was completely sitting on the tailgate, where the rear wheels dug a hole right at the bank, and the fuel moved away from the pickup and it died. That's a 12,000 pound winch and doesn't take long to eat a battery, so instead of wasting amps, I of course tree-strapped a snatch-block and got the bear back on it's paws. The adventures! 2" receiver front and rear with the winch on heavy jumper cables...that way if someone needs recovered, they can beat-up their own battery! 😁
Tire Wheel Car Snow Vehicle

Reactions: therebel19
Discussion starter · #24 ·
Alright, so this is a Yamaha forum...enough with the 'Bota. However, if you ever need something with max luxury/capability to compliment your RMAX, you should give one a test drive. They sell themselves once you take-off, and are nearly priced identical to the Wolverine. If you own property, it would most likely become where you spent your most seat-time. And when you start plucking the stranded from holes like nightcrawlers, you make a bunch of friends. I started charging people in the Hatfield trails 20 dollars a pop, if I had to drag them all the way to the trailhead. It goes forever on a gallon of diesel, but diesel ain't free. Peace. I done sold an X3 since sitting here, so my day was productive.

Exactly! With the 'Bota pushing against his driver-side bumper with my passenger side. Taking him backward wasn't an option, as there was a huge buried log perpendicular to entering that snot-hole. Basically, once you drop in, it's do or die, because you ain't coming back out the way you went in. I've seen lifted Jeeps framed-out in these holes, so he had no business attempting that in the first place. I have Sedona Buzz Saws (About the very best tire for this particular machine...they work miracles with the weight and 15 inches of clearance from my own fabricated lift on that RTV) and the combination of extra weight makes this thing dig to find bottom, and nearly unstoppable. I definitely would not take my RMAX where that Kubota goes. They are the biggest sleepers in the industry. People see an orange Kubota and they think, "Construction", or "Cattle-Ranch". But what those suckers really are is a compact bulldozer on tires. Literally built out of tractor parts. You will never find yourself with a slipping transmission in a mudhole. Even the brakes are sealed in an oil bath, not that you really ever need them...just let off the gas, and that Hydro stops like you applied the brakes. When the forecast calls for foul weather, I jump in that machine and go play! My dog loves that damned thing more than I do. Just let me start that thing and not let him in...I'd have a 100 pound dog wanting to mess me up. My dog has a thing when we park in the woods and I let him run...he comes back and claims the machine. Sitting on the hood is our old RTV, that had 30K on it. In the photo where my dog is inside, is the new one...the X series. Well, was new at the time. It's an 18 model year, and I already have put about 10,000 miles on it. I plow with those too, though, so not all of that is recreation. Best machines in the world, so long as you don't mind the fact that there are probably some humans that could catch you on foot! View attachment 99204 View attachment 99205
you have an AWESOME looking dog.

Discussion starter · #26 · (Edited)
Rite-on..appreciate it. He's my dude. Most awesome thing about him is that he actually IS the product of blue amstaff selective breeding, and not one these dogs that really have mastiff added to the genetics. Well, the most awesome thing would be the fact that my grandkids used to ride him, and he loved it. He's that people loving and stable. They have gotten big over the past few years (the kids), so he'd not go for that now, but he's super chill with kids. Doesn't like my sister-in-law, but that just means he's also very smart. Dog thinks he's a person...loves every activity we do, even kayaking and bicycling (he has a trailer we pull him in...gets geeked to do ANY of it) Been raising this breed my whole life, and not one unstable dog. But, you have to spend the money...backyard breeders is where the trouble is.

Dog Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Water Boat Plant Water resources Plant community

My family has had bullies for as long as I can remember. We never had any problems either. We also have also always had German Shepherds. They have been the ones that have been aggressive. I have no doubts the Bullies wouldn't have acted if someone had tried something with me as a kid or my kids now. But the Shepherds have been hyper protective. The Bullies always kind of set back a watched ready to protect while our shepherds get right there between the kids and anything that is strange that comes in the yard (human, animal, machine).

Now I have shepherds and bull terriers. The calmness of a your breed and the bull terrier is night and day. Give a 7 year old a mountain dew and your about 1/2 the energy of the Bull Terrier. They watch your face and will do anything to get you to laugh. They were right naming Spuds the party animal.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
hehehe...silly dogs are the best dogs. I've had a couple Shepherds - love those dogs too. We had a Dutch Shephard that would wear you out just watching him in the yard. However, he developed behavioral issues that were likely more our fault than his...if you worked with him every day, and played chase games, he was cool and obedient, and listened well. But we were young and busy and couldn't keep up with him as far as attention, and so he started destroying stuff and acting out. Luckily we had a good friend who was part of a police K9 recruiting program...actually, the same friend who turned us on to the breed. Anyway, he was eventually placed with a small-town police department, and lived-out his life there. Someone stole our other Shepherd (German) when he was about 6 months old. Always wanted a Bull Terrier...some of the original gladiators. I never got one because pretty-much what you described...super hyper. A good friend who has one says he's like a musclebound Jack Russell Terrier in the house, and in the yard he runs so hard that his back paws are shooting little chunks of sod out. I didn't believe that until I saw it with my own eyes!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.