Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall. I love my rmax 4. My only issue is it can be quite unpleasant for anyone in the rear seats. Has anyone experimented a way to make it a little more compliant? I already turned the switch counter clockwise to make it softer. Reduce pre load in coil overs? Add weight? Softer springs? I know each one will have it’s downside. As we are not hardcore I don’t mind loosing a little capability to improve the rear ride. The front is super cozy.

·
Registered
2021 rmax2 base gray
12 Posts
My rear also bounces too high on whoops and small jumps. I see can ams and razors eating up these same trails with noticeably better rear suspension performance. I'd love to know how to fix it myself, if there is a fix. Mines an rmax2 on the soft setting.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since the shocks don't have separate compression & rebound damping adjustments, a re-valve is the solution, or upgrade the shocks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know any shock tuners working on the Rmax at this time, if it were me, I would change the shocks. By upgrading to adjustable shocks, you can make changes that fit your needs instead of being stuck with someone else's settings.
Just don't expect any upgrades will change your car into an X3 eater. The Rmax is a short wheelbase, sporty trail machine, not a long travel performance car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, I'd start with what you mentioned, taking out spring and adding some wieght. The problem with the rmax 4, is the same as to why the back seats in a school bus bounce people as well, just seat placement. Thats why the front feels fine still too.

Not a lot of new shock offerings and spring kits for the rmax yet. But im thinking a good spring kit that isn't designed to meet a pay load rating would go a long ways on our machines for just trail riding.

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
1,031 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

·
Registered
RMAX2 XT-R
9 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Fellow on You Tube with an RMAX2 XTR recently upgraded his springs. You may want to contact him to get the latest details. I know initially he was pleased with the change. He is host of the channel called Island Mud Slingers. He rides with a bunch of Can Am, Polaris, and Honda guys.
Yep.
Island Mud Slingers

Reactions: PriceHill

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
445 Posts
Bandit tenders made my machine feel like riding on marshmallows and I kept the clearance without having to crank down the preload. They are really inexpensive (compared to a whole new system) With that being said, I totally agree with KTM and Rebel. Unless you have a trailing arm rear suspension with tons of travel your not going to get ridiculous absorption of the whoops at higher speed. Also mentioned above, the shorter machines buck like a "bronco".....i.e. remember the old Ford Bronco's? Incredibly capable off road machines but they're not high speed Baja buggies. If Ya don't like the bandits..... someone will probably buy them for what you paid for them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A softer setting on the shocks will make the rear buck much worse. Click it over to hard in the rear and the bucking won't be so magnified. The only real way to help this is to adjust the rebound in the valving and a higher compression setting. But then the ride will feel stiff on the the sharper, sudden bumps. I dont really believe "bandit" anything is going to be more superior to what fox can do.

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
445 Posts
A softer setting on the shocks will make the rear buck much worse. Click it over to hard in the rear and the bucking won't be so magnified. The only real way to help this is to adjust the rebound in the valving and a higher compression setting. But then the ride will feel stiff on the the sharper, sudden bumps. I dont really believe "bandit" anything is going to be more superior to what fox can do.
Don't knock it till Ya try it! I was a huge skeptic even after reading the reviews on the forum. I put them on in November and was totally shocked at the difference. I keep things pretty simple. I have windshield, Uhmw under armor, side mirrors and bandits. Not exactly a mod fanatic. When I got the bandits I figured I had waisted my money. Surprisingly the bandits were the best thing I've done yet. Cheep, easy to install, and really change the feel on the machine. My wheels stay much more planted and again the ride is way smoother. Too each their own though. Again don't knock it from an easy chair.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts