Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pretty straight forward demonstration.

Aftermarket machined sheaves allow further movement of the belt in either direction by allowing the weights shown to move further up and down their pathways. Also change the face angles/lip removal as shown in the links below. Some aftermarket modifications include the primary sheave modification, fixed sheave and secondary sheave with a spring plus shims. Sheave machinists always claim to have the lowest sheaves. If you use the cvt covers, then you can only go as far as the cvt cover limits you, unless you remove the covers all together as I do. Top speed has the similar limitations with the cage. Then the only real difference between the sheaves is roller reaction time and the effort and time interval for regular maintenance.

Additional reading if interested:

Original clutch mods explained: Clutch mods explained - by Glenlivet

Adding weight to your wet clutch for increased torque transfer: WetClutch Mod

Adding shims to your primary sheave for increased low end (be careful with cvt cover installed): Shim mod

Secondary spring weight comparisons to color: Secondary Springs

Some of my modifications: The Tinken CVT

I will update this post as time permits.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Tinken, I have been considering removing my cover but I'm not sure what all comes along with removing it. What are the disadvantages of removing the clutch cover? I assume it would still require extra cleaning and maintenance. I would love to get even lower gearing than I already have with the latest Hunterworks sheave. Not that there is any thing wrong with their current sheave at all, I love it but lower is better for my style riding.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mud. If you are a mudder, then the covers must stay on.

I don't go in the mud much, but I do go in deep water. Many vehicles don't use cvt covers such as Rock crawlers, Duners, snow mobiles, golf carts, etc. If no mud, then you just hose out the clutch to clean it. Many grind their covers around their secondary sheave, but the gains a very low.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Ok, I'm defiantly not a mudder so I may have to do this at some point. All I would need to do is have my spare stock sheave machined, correct? I assume Hunterworks can take care of that for me?

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, I'm defiantly not a mudder so I may have to do this at some point. All I would need to do is have my spare stock sheave machined, correct? I assume Hunterworks can take care of that for me?
Just add shims to your existing sheave, possibly a new belt. Hunterworks has them. I will update my original post with more information later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.