Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When riding my 700 grizzly in sugar sand, muck, and mud, except steep hills (cause we ain't got none in FL), I am in high range. The low range is not a big difference like in my 400 Kingquad.

What is the recommendation for the Wolvie in this regard? I understand that is you put big tires on, riding in low will help the stock clutch. But in a stock configuration in sugar sand, muck, and mud, should I be riding in low range most of the time? I imagine that sugar sand is harder on the drivetrain than it looks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would say I ride in low 99% of the time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a snippet from the Hunterworks site....this is the same advice I was given when looking at a Massimo.... guess lots of low range for me, like 99% as stated...

The Wolverine are larger and heavier machines than Rhino's were and they use basically the same clutching, that means this clutch runs hotter in stock form than the Rhino does. So expect the following: If you use tires larger than 27" on either, you will go through more belts more often and you might flat spot a roller weight more often.

The snorkels that are 2" really add to this problem. Riding slow in high range is a no no, use low range when driving under 30 mph for extended periods of time or doing any really slow manuvering. Using low range pushes more air into the clutch due to higher rpm and less load on the belt. If you use our machined sheave you can run faster in low range than stock.

·
Engineer
1,924 Posts
That's good advice. Think of it like pulling on a rope, which is basically what the belt is. In low range, you pull less on that rope and there for it is stressed less.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I plan on treating it the same as I did my Grizzly. Switch to high when I need to go on a road for a minute or anything over 20mph. Other than that, low. Same belt for 14 years.
my 2008 grizzly i had only had 2000 miles on it, traded it for the wolverine, but most of those miles were with tracks pulling a trail drag. i never looked at the belt or clutch. never had a problem. never serviced them. i have 400 miles on the wolverine so far and its been great. this one i will service the clutch and belt along with fluids and filters once a year. already use the wolverine more then i did the atv during the summer.

Reactions: MORSNO
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.