Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Was wondering if anyone had looked into how difficult it would be to make the bed tilt / dump?

2. Is it even possible with how it's designed?

3. Would it make things easier to service if the bed would tilt for access?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had a good friend come over who owns a machining shop and asked him about it and he said it was do able but would be difficult. The bed would have to come backwards to tilt or else it would hit the cage, and its bolted to some body work there behind the seats to so it would have to be modified. Even if it did tilt it wouldn't be better for servicing, but I wanted it to tilt to be able to wash easier.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Looking at the box it would be easier to do a steal liner inside the box that was hinged and to use that as a dumb be. The box on the wolverine is in a way integrated into the machine. Not sure if what I said makes sense

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have my bed off now and have a concept to making it a dump bed. Will let you know how I make out.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,630 Posts
Machines I'd seen some time ago. Had the bed tip up from the front (seats end backwards) this gave you access to the power train etc.

Yeh not the same thing but servicing would be so much easier.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’m in the process of building a dump Box. I’ll tell you what I did and what I learned to make it easier and YES in is doable. First major thing in the way was the front of the bed Which wraps around the room cage and is Fastened to the body so what i did was cut the front of the bed so noting holds the box when lifting. it worked but There was a problem-after I installed the Hinges in the rear i started to lift the bed after the front went up about 12 inches it would not go any more due to the front Catching the roll cage and in the rear the bed could not clear the frame any more. SO what I learned was (1)you have to lift the box probably Anywhere-from 1/2 to 1.5 inches from the frame to give the bed the Clearance it needs (2) the front of the bed will have to be modified. What I’m planning to do is cut the entire curve of the front of the bed and make it flat this will give me all the Clearance I need. And as for the frame Clearance I will weld some kind of frame that will attach to the under side of the bed that will give me the clearance WELL good luck keep us posted on how it’s going

·
Registered
53 Posts
Started with a framework mounted to the underside of the bed that would raise it about 1-1/4" . Plan is to have the hinge knuckle extend just past the bed so the the bumper will not interfere when tilted. Then cut the front of bed about 4" down from the top and into the outer fender on an angle to eliminate any interference with the roll bar.
As of right now that is the plan. Would really like to come up with a way do it without raising the bed to keep the stock look. Raised bed give it a good look though. bed lift spacer.JPG

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,630 Posts
Would sliding it forward some distance from the seat rack give you the clearance needed. I am not sure about the rear bumper reference. We don't have one by default.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have given this project a little thought in the past. I could offer two points that may contribute..... 1. The hinge point at the back I believe is critical to the geometry of the front arc of the bed so as mentioned the knuckle appears like it should be at the front side of the bumper, but what if the pivot point could slide back some, it would free the front of the bed. Drawer slide attitude for hinge mount would take a little height. 2. If you cut the bed in the front, along the outside corner of the perimeter with a crisp clean line on top and sides, you could attach a backup aluminum angle in that joint with clip-on concealed J nuts and trim head bolts to each side. Then unbolt the ones on the bed side to allow it to hinge up. That is not like pulling a latch, but to spin out 8 or 10 bolts with an impact would not take more than a minute or so and save a lot of fabrication for the latch and brackets.
Of course I would think of having some shock lifters like on SUV back hatch to help hold bed up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is no room to move it forward. The problem is the bed gets wider in front at the bottom as the fenders flare out. The outer fender will need to be cut to move the parting location up to clear the roll bar. My goal is to remount the cutout portion of the bed in its original position so all the plastic pieces can be reattached in their original position. Then make up an extension to meet the raised bed and close off all gaps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Was working on the pivot point that mounts to the frame today. Seems to be going well. Once that is done I will take the bed off again and mount the steel bed frame to the pivots in the back and see how that works out. wolverine.JPG

·
Registered
224 Posts
Was working on the pivot point that mounts to the frame today. Seems to be going well. Once that is done I will take the bed off again and mount the steel bed frame to the pivots in the back and see how that works out. View attachment 81870
Those are some really nice bends on your flat stock!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got the pivot point figured out. Need to tie in the hinge assembly to the framework on bed

Attachments

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
How did you make out with yours? Did you get it to work? What I did was cut the front off the bed about 8" from the top then remounted that into back into the original location. It worked out a lot better that way.Plan to make a transition piece to fill the gap. Do you have any pics of your mod?

·
Registered
108 Posts
No progress yet as my sxs is at my brother in-laws place. I Will be picking it up soon then I will continue the work by that time you will probably finish your dump box Ha ha if I get any pictures soon I will post them. Great job with the hinges I like the idea

·
Registered
53 Posts
Finally got this project finished. Probably the first Gen 1 Wolverine R-spec with electric dump bed. It makes access to the motor for servicing so much easier. Did it in 4 easy step that took over. servicing so much easier
1. Cut the bed
2. Built support frame and mounted bed to that.
3. Then made attachment points for DC linear cylinder.
4. Installed momentary reversing with on side panel.
Cylinder is rated to lift 330 lb so should be sufficient for normal tasks.
Will try and post video On YouTube sometime.
7516C6C2-1E0E-47D2-91C8-F74493C2428B_1599244091518.jpeg 7516C6C2-1E0E-47D2-91C8-F74493C2428B_1599244091518.jpeg 7516C6C2-1E0E-47D2-91C8-F74493C2428B_1599244091518.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts