Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone found them yet, I've read everything from 47 like the Viking up to 60hp.

The wolverine gets the job done for me and the clutch and exhaust will likely give it a kick in the pants although I haven't felt the need for more horsepower, which is weird coming from me.

Anyway I'm curious if anyone has any hard numbers.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is 35kW (47 horsepower) from info on the CARB site.
That's disappointing considering it has an extra cam. That should have been an hp and efficacy bump with no loss in durability. Seems like yamaha would have to nutf the engine to maintain the same output with dohc and 22cc more displacement.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps a turbo or supercharger is in our future?
I could turbo it, I have a friend with a fab shop that builds a lot of monster Toyota supra as well as turbo Lsv8.

I'm not looking to find the limits of the reliability..lol

I was hoping it was making about 55hp with the potential for 60ish hp. I do have the ability to put it on 3 dyno.. Maybe the next time I plan on loading it up I can bring it by for a base line run. I just don't know how to calculate the drive train loss in the cvt.

I looked for the carb info and couldn't find it.

The little bit I did said multiple models with 35kw for 2015, the wolverine is a 2016, So I'm not 100% on 35kw info.

For 2015 the grizzly 700, Viking, and v6 all should be 35kw and I believe they might count the eps models as different.
So that would be 6 models with 35kw

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the record I believe this had enough power. It's turning my 28 in thick mud with no problem. I am just looking for actual numbers.:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
There is only so much you can do to a big single at 7,000 rpm and keep the reliability. I drove my 2011 RZR 900 today. It has 41 more hp at 88 and its in a different league, its a much higher reving sport model. The 1000 cc 4 cylinder sport bikes get around 175hp but rev really high probably around 13,000 rpm or more. I'm really happy with my Wolverine at 47 hp and usually cruise the fast sections in the 40's. Now the mud guys can use way more hp to spin the large heavy mud tires. Yamaha should have installed a much lower low range gear in my opinion. My Wolverine goes 38 mph in low range at 7,000 rpm. A 28 mph gear at 7,000 rpm would have been better for me.

·
Super Moderator
469 Posts
My Ace 570 has 45 1/2 horsepower and it is the lowest stressed engine Polaris builds right now.

If the Wolverine 708 was stressed the same hp/cc it would have 56 horsepower which is in the range I expected it to have when Yamaha released it, but no. Why not? The suspension is good enough for it. The engine is good enough for it easily.

But most owners seem to be happy enough with the power, at least they say they are. My Ace weighs 850 pounds with its 45 horsepower. 47 horsepower just seems weak for 1300 pounds to me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
For the machine it is and where I ride its perfect, I want that torquey motor for trail riding that doesn't jerk me around and the single does that and its plenty fast for fast trail riding, Vtwins are jerky in the trails and the RZR twins are all top end which is fine just not in the trails I ride.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For the machine it is and where I ride its perfect, I want that torquey motor for trail riding that doesn't jerk me around and the single does that and its plenty fast for fast trail riding, Vtwins are jerky in the trails and the RZR twins are all top end which is fine just not in the trails I ride.
X2 Agreed!

But I can't leave anything stock..lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
A little more oomph wouldn't hurt! Maybe some clutch work in the future once I upgrade tires

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's still rattling around in my brain.. I can't figure out how

More displacement
Higher compression
A more efficient head design

Equal the same as the 686cc sohc

I wonder what's bottle necking the hp..

I'm puzzled

·
Super Moderator
469 Posts
Polaris up tuned the 900 motor in the 2015 Ranger to 68 horsepower from 60 horsepower last year in the 2014 Ranger. The same motor is 75 horsepower in the RZR. The complete motor in all three is the same part number. There are differences in the air box and exhaust for the RZR.

I bet there is lots more power available just in the ECM tuning for the Wolverine. In fact, the way they seem to run from the reviews on this forum, it might be possible they actually have more than 47 horsepower. This is just speculation with nothing in fact to back it up. The top speed available with a modified sheave would indicate more than 47 to me. Or maybe the good acceleration is just a really broad torque curve??

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Polaris up tuned the 900 motor in the 2015 Ranger to 68 horsepower from 60 horsepower last year in the 2014 Ranger. The same motor is 75 horsepower in the RZR. The complete motor in all three is the same part number. There are differences in the air box and exhaust for the RZR.

I bet there is lots more power available just in the ECM tuning for the Wolverine. In fact, the way they seem to run from the reviews on this forum, it might be possible they actually have more than 47 horsepower. This is just speculation with nothing in fact to back it up. The top speed available with a modified sheave would indicate more than 47 to me. Or maybe the good acceleration is just a really broad torque curve??
It feels like more to me.. That's part of what has more puzzled as well.. I'm going to have to dyno it or something..lol

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Wish I saw this thread earlier. Here is the Dyno sheet from Erins bike at HMF. Part of the reason this engine is making less HP is because of emissions restrictions, at least, that's what I read lol. But in all reality, it's Yamaha, they seem to have been playing it safe with the horsepower on engines for a long time. Part of that is their market. People who buy Yamahas buy them because they are well balanced, reliable machines. Yes, every machine will break down, but the more conservative, safe built machine will generally speaking outlast the high performance machine with all other conditions being the same. Am i happy with the HP? Absolutely not. My other ride is a Raptor 700 with the Big 3 done, it's a damned rocket ship, and even that could be faster. However, with an exhaust, fuel controller, and clutch kit, the wolverine does pretty damned good. I am still tuning mine, but it damn near pulls the front end off the ground when you mash it. The front end lifts to the end of the suspension travel and it just goes.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Wish I saw this thread earlier. Here is the Dyno sheet from Erins bike at HMF. Part of the reason this engine is making less HP is because of emissions restrictions, at least, that's what I read lol. But in all reality, it's Yamaha, they seem to have been playing it safe with the horsepower on engines for a long time. Part of that is their market. People who buy Yamahas buy them because they are well balanced, reliable machines. Yes, every machine will break down, but the more conservative, safe built machine will generally speaking outlast the high performance machine with all other conditions being the same. Am i happy with the HP? Absolutely not. My other ride is a Raptor 700 with the Big 3 done, it's a damned rocket ship, and even that could be faster. However, with an exhaust, fuel controller, and clutch kit, the wolverine does pretty damned good. I am still tuning mine, but it damn near pulls the front end off the ground when you mash it. The front end lifts to the end of the suspension travel and it just goes.
So we are looking at about a 4hp and 2ft more with an exhaust and fuel controller. This is to the wheels.. Plus mustang dyno are known to break hearts, so I'm assuming a 6-7 hp gain at the crank.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts