Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't worry about difficulty as far as having kids along. I've ridden all the trail systems except Ivy Branch and there's not a difficult trail on any of them, including the blacks. We prefer to stay somewhere around Gilbert because it's a central location that gives you easy access to 3 trail systems. I highly recommend taking the night tour out of Twin Hollows on Friday nights. It's also worth doing a 1 day Outlaw tour with one of the many guides just to get a bit of variety.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have had ZERO issues with losing any machines. And I have had a spare that sat at the cabin on every trip. That being said we may have had a windshield stolen, or it blew off somehow...

All our tools and stuff have been in the truck beds, no issues (knock on wood)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sunday Monday and Tuesday is the time we have enjoyed ourselves the most... literally pass like one other group in a whole day of riding.
Yep, we arrive Sunday morning and leave Thursday morning. As a bonus, the rates are usually a little cheaper.

Just so you know, some of the lodging doesn't include linens like sheets, pillows, towels etc. I discovered that the hard way.
Are they pretty safe to stay at?
None of the places we've stayed in the past have posed any kind of security threat. Anything can happen but I always felt safe. I've left my tablet in my rig more than once and it was still there in the morning.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Don't worry about difficulty as far as having kids along. I've ridden all the trail systems except Ivy Branch and there's not a difficult trail on any of them, including the blacks. We prefer to stay somewhere around Gilbert because it's a central location that gives you easy access to 3 trail systems. I highly recommend taking the night tour out of Twin Hollows on Friday nights. It's also worth doing a 1 day Outlaw tour with one of the many guides just to get a bit of variety.
do they allow night riding on all trails?

·
Registered
874 Posts
During the weekends the HM trails can be very busy and oncoming riders think they are the only ones on the trail. Beware of all blind curves and expect traffic. Collisions are no fun!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
During the weekends the HM trails can be very busy and oncoming riders think they are the only ones on the trail. Beware of all blind curves and expect traffic. Collisions are no fun!
we obviously want to avoid as much traffic as possible and any type of "i own the trails" montra that seems to be happening more and more with people thinking trails are race tracks. That's why we were hoping a trip around this time of the year would also help out on the traffic concerns, and then doing it during the week would double up on the minimal traffic.

i know how fast these machines can go, but i also know i'm no professional. The things you learn about yourself as you age lol

Reactions: TN_Max

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been on all the HMT systens numerous times and if you stay off the black trails you will be fine on any off them this time of the year. They have already done their spring maintenance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Warrior trails a couple weeks back had huge ruts on the black trails still. Going to Devil Anse etc in a few weeks. The black trails are nice because not nearly as many people ride on them if you needed to take a bathroom break out in the woods LOL

Reactions: Mad Dog_037

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have seen more people on the H/M trails in the last 6 mo on the weekends than ever before. Every recent weekend has been busier than any summer weekend before. I ride mostly outlaw trails on weekends and H/M during any weekdays. Pinnacle Creek, Indian Ridge, and Pocahontas systems are slammed on the weekends.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
They sound like managed trails and one you may pay to use. As tires get taller the ruts get deeper. My manage trails get graded now and then. We were done last year but spring riding may require addition later on. If its never done they become unusable for the major want to ride.

Reactions: Mad Dog_037

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I didn’t find the kid’s ages listed. You probably already know this but I’ll mention it. On the legal trails the rule states “No one under the age of 6 is allowed on the trails under any circumstances.”

Outlaw trails don’t have any rules.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have seen more people on the H/M trails in the last 6 mo on the weekends than ever before.
As they continue to close access to more and more of the outlaw trails, crowds on the HMT will increase proportionately. Closing trails while seeing record growth of riders seems to be counterintuitive. Even with the 8 week closure of the trails due to Covid, there were nearly 65,000 permits sold in 2020, up15% from the pervious year.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I didn’t find the kid’s ages listed. You probably already know this but I’ll mention it. On the legal trails the rule states “No one under the age of 6 is allowed on the trails under any circumstances.”

Outlaw trails don’t have any rules.
that is good info! My nieces are/will be 16 and 11, so they'll be fine. My one daughter and little man wont be able to go since they will both be under than 6 yr old mark. Doubt the boss will want to leave them behind. Sounds like we'll have to find a grandma and grandpa with an open room lol.. however one set just got a sxs themselves lol

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
702 Posts
I was at Rockhouse one time and came to a 4-way intersection with a trail cop checking two SxS, I rolled up, don't remember if I did/didn't have a helmet on showed my pass and we started chatting a bit about the trails. After a couple of minutes there were 4 ATV's came through and he stopped them and checked their passes, not a single one had a helmet on, not a word was said and one of them had a child on with them, couldn't have been 5 or 6 years old.

After they took off again he said "that's just plain ass dumb carrying that little girl around like that!"...that was it...

I guess it's like everything else, just depends on who the person is that is checking you out.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
And it’s low hanging fruit. 14 machines of us did the Wilmore Dam ride all without helmets through towns etc. Don’t show your butt and you’re fine.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
And it’s low hanging fruit. 14 machines of us did the Wilmore Dam ride all without helmets through towns etc. Don’t show your butt and you’re fine.
well crap i was planning on mooning people too

21 - 39 of 39 Posts