Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I have been discussing a trip 'down there' sometime next year. Would be timed with out kid's spring break, so basically this time of the year. (+/- a week).

He will be in a 2020 XT-R X4 and I will have our canned-ham. We don't want to go to the rocky crawling/super crazy challenging areas of the trails, but wont mind a little mud, mild hill climbs, and just normal trail riding. We both will have bigger tires than stock (he bumped up to 28s and i will be on 30s), but we are also not the types to try and race around trails.

We will obviously have the kiddos with us. Do you guys who frequent the trails have any suggestions on which ones to take? Areas to stay? Trails/areas to avoid? I have read that the trails are marked and such and given degrees of difficulty, which will be nice. We will have GPS devices with us as well to help guide us.

We will just want to make sure the trails will be open at this time of the year, and make it a great experience for our kids. This is still another year out so we are in no rush at this time, so i'm trying to come up with a solid 'game plan' so we can do some site seeing as well while we ride and while we are down there.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,490 Posts
Trails around hear and likely others are drying up or still a mud hole in many areas. No real fun for many especially if you're bogging down and getting stuck or close to it. That would be something to consider with those who know the turf and trails available.

Where ever you go Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we don't mind too much mud. I know all of us "northern" riders are experiencing the spring thaw/slush mud holes. Figured down there it might/should be less of that since they don't get what we normally do "up here" lol

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX4 XTR
491 Posts
BubbaJo,
I've been there twice now and would suggest the Rockhouse /Devil Anse trail system for the type of terrain your looking to ride, Bear Wallow is also a good trail system you can trailer to one of the days.
We stayed at Canebreak Cabins in Gilbert and the 2nd trip was at Twin Hollows campground, both excellent places.
CaneBreak is on the river, Twin Hollows is up on the mountain, Rockhouse trail is direct access from Twin Hollows and a 1/4 mile drive from Canebreak .

Reactions: BubbaJo

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX4 XTR
491 Posts
BubbaJo,
I've been there twice now and would suggest the Rockhouse /Devil Anse trail system for the type of terrain your looking to ride, Bear Wallow is also a good trail system you can trailer to one of the days.
We stayed at Canebreak Cabins in Gilbert and the 2nd trip was at Twin Hollows campground, both excellent places.
CaneBreak is on the river, Twin Hollows is up on the mountain, Rockhouse trail is direct access from Twin Hollows and a 1/4 mile drive from Canebreak .
In 10 days I'll be at Crumpler Mountain resort, new area for me but from what I hear it is going to be awesome !

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've watched a handful of videos from the trails and they look awesome. Devil's Anse was on my list of ones to visit just because i want to see the graveyard lol.. I'm a history buff and like that kind of thing

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,394 Posts
We have a group of (14) going in two weeks. The group has gone for years. Rockhouse and Devil's Anse are two of the group favorites.

Be Safe and Have Fun!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
watching videos.. they are two way trails right? they look pretty narrow in places, but hardly ever see traffic coming at you

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX4 XTR
491 Posts
watching videos.. they are two way trails right? they look pretty narrow in places, but hardly ever see traffic coming at you
Yep two way trails

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,490 Posts
Likely the same thing here. A lot of the trail are ~ 6ft wide and some stretch wider while others are narrower as were cut out for snowmobiles before ATV were as they are now. Those which were rail bed are in between. However, as you all know. ATV are being replaced with SxS's, 50" initially, 60 and now much more. When you see one of these coming towards you. Heading into the bush a ways is necessary but not so much as to drop off into a deep gully. Some are 15-20ft down being a rail bed where built for a certain grade. If I don't have line of site, a bicycle, ATV or SxS could be coming and many stretches I have knowhere to go. Stopping between two trees is the best I can do, but not at any speed to park in there. Hence driving near the machines limits is totally impossible.

Reactions: BubbaJo

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the country back roads to my old family property was just wide enough for one car/truck. If you encountered another you would have to find one of the many pull off locations. Even had a few places where you had to honk the horn incase someone was coming over a hill or around a blind corner.

but watching some of these videos there doesn't appear to show many places to pull off and let someone by lol.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Warrior is nice as well. Devil Anse is probably my groups favorite so far. I too use Canebrake cabins, awesome to deal with. If you stay on the green and blue trails nothing will be too much for the machines you listed. Warrior had a couple trails that had some good ruts in the blues but none of our group had any issues at all. Gilbert is a nice place to stay as well, all the stuff is really close and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
218 Posts
the 72" machines to me pose the issue, they are hard to get around. I have not had any issues with my machines yet. Only once got hung up in a corner with a RZR four seat coming the other way.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,490 Posts
I know and most are just a patch amongst the growth or rock here an there. Just enough to get over and into slowly. Some video I see the rider really moving, warping though the paths. Good to watch but not to drive in for me. I sometime show my wife what/where you all drive. While clarifying I don't go in that or like that. LOL

I learned a lot in the School of Hard Knocks. But not all been there or admit to being there.

·
Registered
356 Posts
We mostly do Buffalo Mountain, Devils Anse and Rockhouse because they are the closer to us. All of these systems are family friendly if you stay off the Black and Red trails.

One of the better resorts IMO is Devils Backbone. It's located right on trail 54/59 and provides access to all 3 systems. There's on onsite restaurant (opening 2021), pool, washdown station and the cabins are very nice. The cemetery is nearby as well as the town of Matewan that has a few places to eat and a lot of history. There's a museum dedicated to the mine wars, a railroad depot and many Hatfield McCoy sites and memorials scattered about Matewan and across the Tug Fork River in McCarr Ky.

Whichever you choose, try to take everything you will need since there is little in terms of retail shopping and dining. Williamson and Logan have a Walmart but that's about it. Go thru the week if you can, weekends get pretty busy and the 2 way traffic can be troublesome in places.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah we would plan on going during the week to minimize the traffic. Both of our machines will be under 65" wide even after the bigger tires and different rims. Also hoping that going early would also minimize the amount of traffic due to colder weather.

Hope to make more concrete plans come fall/winter when we know the kid's schedules and such for next school year. I knew a bunch of you guys frequented these trails and had hoped to get the response(s) that have been pouring in! Keep them coming! Maybe we can organize some sort of group ride around the same time? I don't mind being the red head step child in a sea of yamahas lol

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX4 XTR
491 Posts
yeah we would plan on going during the week to minimize the traffic. Both of our machines will be under 65" wide even after the bigger tires and different rims. Also hoping that going early would also minimize the amount of traffic due to colder weather.

Hope to make more concrete plans come fall/winter when we know the kid's schedules and such for next school year. I knew a bunch of you guys frequented these trails and had hoped to get the response(s) that have been pouring in! Keep them coming! Maybe we can organize some sort of group ride around the same time? I don't mind being the red head step child in a sea of yamahas lol
For the longest time I was the red headed step child in a sea of Polaris’s but times are changing for the better lol 😂

·
Registered
218 Posts
Most of what makes it fun to me is the different machines when you get to the harder terrain. You will have a good time, just plan for the weather and plan for hiccups as best you can. If you stay in Gilbert, the dollar store is right there and has everything. We have stayed at Ashland Resort as well but the stuff is not as readily available. We brought all our own firewood and all for that trip and planned for stuff to do in case the rain was too much.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sunday Monday and Tuesday is the time we have enjoyed ourselves the most... literally pass like one other group in a whole day of riding.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most of what makes it fun to me is the different machines when you get to the harder terrain. You will have a good time, just plan for the weather and plan for hiccups as best you can. If you stay in Gilbert, the dollar store is right there and has everything. We have stayed at Ashland Resort as well but the stuff is not as readily available. We brought all our own firewood and all for that trip and planned for stuff to do in case the rain was too much.
that is one thing i've been seeing from the videos is the vast difference in machines and setups everyone brings. One of the videos showed the wild horses. Being girl dads, we instantly knew this was one trail we would have to visit (and bring carrots). At this time we won't be camping since we are camperless at the moment, and my brother can't tandem pull his camper and X4. So we will have to rent cabins. Are they pretty safe to stay at? limited worries about tweakers coming in and pushing away your ride/trailer?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts