Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vendor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The HMF brand was established in 1997 by Hans Luenger in Cleveland, Ohio. At first, he built performance exhaust systems in his garage. As the business was growing, Hans wanted to expand and diversify his product line adding new products, including heavy-duty bumpers, winch mounts, skid plates, and other accessories for popular models of ATVs and UTVs.

Check this rear bumper designed specifically for your Yamaha Wolverine X2. It features relatively simple bolt-on installation and durable powder-coating finish. By adding a bumper to the rear end of your machine, you can not only protect it from damage when backing up in tight spaces or among trees but also strengthen it preventing added stress on the differential.

HMF Racing® - IQ Defender Black Rear Bumper - POWERSPORTSiD.com
https://www.powersportsid.com/hmf-racing/iq-defender-black-rear-bumper-mpn-9448086961.html

Features:
Made from .095” wall, heavy-duty steel tubing
Easily mounts to the frame - bolts on the stock location
Works with stock and HMF™ exhausts.
Prevents added stress on the differential by strengthening the rear end
Helps ties lower and upper frame together to help correct an inherent problem with the differential being stressed
Guaranteed to deliver a long-lasting service life

Fitment:
2019-2020 YXE85 Wolverine X2

Go to the product page at POWERSPORTSiD.com for more information.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here or call our experts at 888.903.4348​

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It looks great! I wonder how it reduces stress on the rear final gear.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I've mentioned this bumper to many on the FB group that were looking for options.
I'm not sure if it clears the OEM exhaust when the bed is lifted all the way.
I've asked those that bought it for a review and pics, but got none.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Vendor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! Did you just introduce that or has it been out for awhile?
As far as I know, it was introduced to the market a year ago.

It looks great! I wonder how it reduces stress on the rear final gear.
Honestly, I have no idea. That's what the press release said. I guess it increases the rigidity of the frame somehow reducing stress on the differential.

I'm not sure if it clears the OEM exhaust when the bed is lifted all the way.
The manufacturer always tests these things. HMF Racing specifically says that this bumper will not interfere with stock or HMF exhaust, and will not limit the tilt of the dump bed or opening of the tailgate.
Also, you can see it in this video:

https://youtu.be/23G4O_ipDIg?t=200

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've asked those that bought it for a review and pics, but got none.
I have one on my 2019 X2. Here's the only picture I currently have on my laptop.

20200627_082529.jpg

It's okay but it didn't fit very well. There was a lot of tweaking and swearing to get the 4-8mm fasteners lined up. The bolts they give you are too long to put in from the bed pointing down and it's nearly impossible to get a wrench in the channel to tighten it up with the bolt pointing up. I could have simply shortened the bolts or got replacements but I opted to make 2 nut plates to match the bolt pattern which made it much easier to install. What should have took 15 minutes to install turned into a 2 hour wrestling match... the bolts should have lined up much better. Also, a helper would have been hugely beneficial but I was on my own.

I like the way it looks and should provide some protection when erroneously backing into a tree or other stationary object although it should be a little wider to protect the fenders/taillights IMO. It does not obstruct the tilt of the bed but it does come very close to the muffler. I think it's a stretch to claim it's adding strength to the rear diff, the bumper is attached to the bed frame and swivels on the hinge pins with the bed. It would add strength to the bed frame but how that would prevent added stress to the differential is above my pay grade... that's just my observation and not disputing their claim. Honestly, that's the first time I seen that statement so I hadn't given it much thought.

There's not many bumper options for the X2 and this one checked all the boxes for me. I feel the OEM "brush guard" is more aesthetic than functional so I passed on it and the tilting bed limits the design possibilities for a DIY unit. Fortunately, I haven't had an opportunity to test it during an impact but no doubt will in the future.

Hope this helps,
Mike

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have this bumper with the HMF Titan Quiet Series exhaust. It’s kind of a pain to install, but it looks/works great! Very happy with it.

D8B646D8-D734-4517-8255-92937187604D.jpeg

94D5B34E-7AB8-48E0-B7A6-CF091D23735E.jpeg

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It's a good looking bumper! I like it better than the OEM, which is not much more than a place for me to hang LED pod lights. For me, the OEM bumper was a pain to install with a helper. I'd choose this one over the OEM bumper, it has much more protection.

I think they reason they don't have it come out to the side more to protect the sides is it would protect them when backing up. But driving forward it would catch on things.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think they reason they don't have it come out to the side more to protect the sides is it would protect them when backing up. But driving forward it would catch on things.
I agree but a couple of inches more would offer more protection for the taillights and it would still be inside the body lines.

Does the OEM protrude out beyond the cargo box and tailgate? The picture I've seen it appears to wrap under the box.

Mike

Reactions: Wolvie Hunter

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Thanks guys, I like that bumper and it's on my list of items to get ;)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Thanks guys, I like that bumper and it's on my list of items to get ;)
I bought mine from Weller Racing, along with a re-flash and the HMF Titan Quiet Series exhaust. He gave me a package deal.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Does the OEM protrude out beyond the cargo box and tailgate? The picture I've seen it appears to wrap under the box.

Mike
Yep, it wraps. I think the other one looks better.

A257042E-F5B0-4C52-9C66-A2D4332323E7.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts