1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
cool vid. has been posted here before.

·
Engineer
1,914 Posts
Yup, I posted this in the other thread. If you stop it at about 0:45-47 and tilt so that dead tree stands straight up, its a lot less angle. Still a very impressive climb for a stock wolverine. I talk to this guy a little bit, said he had just got it from the dealer and took it out riding.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yup, I posted this in the other thread. If you stop it at about 0:45-47 and tilt so that dead tree stands straight up, its a lot less angle. Still a very impressive climb for a stock wolverine. I talk to this guy a little bit, said he had just got it from the dealer and took it out riding.
Still looks to be about 45 degrees?

·
Super Moderator
546 Posts
If you need an idea of the real static stability of these sxs's you can get an idea from the picture below. The center of gravity is basically in an area close to the seat base and close to the center of the vehicle side to side.
If you draw a line from the cog through center of the contact patch of the tire, rear tire climbing and front tire descending you will know the STATIC stability angle of just the vehicle. If you add passengers or other weight to the vehicle it changes the stability angle. Passengers usually make it less stable climbing because of more weight up high and toward the rear.
Momentum greatly influences stability but the Wolverine in the video is close to static stability at the speed he is moving.
The RZR in the diagram below has a static stability angle of 62* and the Rhino is 55* measured from the diagram. This means that with the RZR sitting on a flat slab that you can tilt the slab up to 62* from flat (28* from vertical) without it turning over backward.
Most of the popular trail use sxs's will be in this general area. The long wheelbase sporty ones are probably the best and the short utility types are probably not as good, but there is no magic in this stuff. It is just basic weight placement and they all strive for the best stability but there are lots of things that go into the design that have to be crammed together to build what each manufacturer thinks is the best vehicle all around for them.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
You mean like this? 4X4 is a must!

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Super Moderator
546 Posts
Yes. Looks like his static stability would have been fine there.

Too bad about that dynamic stability going backwards.

Not being in AWD there was a big mistake.

I rolled down one backwards myself a few months back. That first roll is not too bad. But I didn't like the ones after that.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Looks like his static stability would have been fine there.

Too bad about that dynamic stability going backwards.

Not being in AWD there was a big mistake.

I rolled down one backwards myself a few months back. That first roll is not too bad. But I didn't like the ones after that.
Seen some other videos that are the same, lose traction in 2WD , slide back, then when they bite its all over.
Gotta admit the fear of this has kept me out of the Hot Tubs in Moab.
Even videos of The Launch Pad on Golden Spike trail looks awful steep. Maybe MrDwig can speak to that.

·
Super Moderator
546 Posts
All my off road vehicles are too short to do either of those. I don't know, it might climb Launch Pad but I wouldn't try the Tubs.

I probably would have tried them in my rock crawler but I never got out there. I stopped crawling with the big rigs about 10 years ago.

A sporty sxs should be fine with that though. I bet your Wolverine would climb out of the Tubs and do Launch probably pretty easy.

The thing about Hot Tubs is that you will only roll over one time and then you are at the bottom. It is that long open space that scares me. Of course I don't want to mess up my rig either. If I rolled my old crawler I would just fix it. A stick of tubing and some time is probably all it would take on it.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Seen some other videos that are the same, lose traction in 2WD , slide back, then when they bite its all over.
Gotta admit the fear of this has kept me out of the Hot Tubs in Moab.
Even videos of The Launch Pad on Golden Spike trail looks awful steep. Maybe MrDwig can speak to that.
We didn't end up in the hot tubs so I can't say much about them but The Launch Pad isn't anything. My buddy on his Grizzly 700 didn't even have an issue so I can't see any SxS having an issue. We actually didn't realize we did "The Launch Pad" until after we did it. We did a lot more of the named obstacles then we realized at first. We do a lot of rock crawling and hill climbs here in MO so having the added traction of Moab makes everything seem that much easier. I'm ready to go back already! lol

Reactions: noload and atkbike

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here's a climb we did up one of the local hills. I just used 2WD in low range. The incline of the hill is more than what it looks like on the video.

Reactions: Dozer370

·
July WOTM Winner!
207 Posts
Videos/pics never do the actual steepness on hills justice. Nice vid btw.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Because the camera is mounted to the Wolverine and is at the same angle which makes it look level. Watch a mountain climbing snowmobile video and see how to show the steepness....the camera angle can artificially make it look steeper to...look at the angle of the trees to see what is the actual straight up angle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks DOZER370 and MORSNO. I can see where the camera angle would make a difference but I'm kind of limited with it shooting through the cab. I was thinking about mounting the Gopro on a tripod aiming downward on different spots on the hill. I'd like to get some still shots also.

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
I wish my copilot would jump out and take some action shots to show some of the obstacles on our adventures....she loves her comfy dry seat too much.

Remember, aiming downhill with the camera is the same as uphill, it can look level, you need side angles to really show the steepness. It's not easy to get good footage unless you have another person filming from another vantage point.

This snowmobile footage shows some good examples of what I'm trying to say. When the camera is mounted on the rider or machine you don't see the steepness as well as when another person is filming from another vantage point. Look at the trees vs earth for true climbing angles.

Reactions: Overload

·
June WOTM Winner!
98 Posts
That has been what is so difficult to show, A person out side the machine is the best but even then if they tilt the camera it adds or takes away from the steepness. Check the link below my signature, please do not expect too much as I just started doing this. Most of the clips are with the Gopro on my head but the ones of Fins-N-Things a guy in our party wore it on his chest, the one of Wipeout Hill was done with an old camcorder and I scared her and she messed up and jumped. Oh well!

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Those videos are pretty cool and show more than most average trail rides Overload. Nice Arctic Fox camper in the pic too!

Reactions: Overload
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.