Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got mine in December and don't have a lot of miles on it. When going down the road, above 20mph, I start to get a very high pitched whining sound. Almost sound like a small jet engine. By the time I get to 35mph, the sounds just gets to where you can't stand it. No smoke or any sign or smell of anything. It is not the tires or the emergency brake. Anyone have an idea what it is? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i red this post earlier on the topic SOOO hoe is everyone liking the Wolverine ..Love the Wolverine. Have non-eps.

Bought it on Jan. 8. After playing on it for 2 days with family, it went straight into the woods.

The bad:

It's a mud slinger over 5-7mph. This isn't a problem, because we just put put around, however if I was running late to get to my deer stand, it would sling a little mud on me and my gun.

It was a bit louder than I thought. Once I changed the oil, it seems to have dampened the noise quite a bit.

The belt squeal between 32-37mph was nearly unbearable in that it would have probably given me a headache if held at that speed for 5 minutes or more. After about 200miles, the squeal is there, but the volume has gone down considerably, so it's a non-issue.

Oil Change - The factory put the filter on too tight. Dang near couldn't get it off, and was nearly to the point of having to drive a screw driver through it. Should be good now. However, I do suggest any new owners to go ahead and change the oil before you get too many miles to be sure you don't have this issue. I was about ready to shoot the damn thing.

The Good:

Man, this thing rides like a cadillac with stock suspension settings. We keep our hunting roads pretty clean, and don't rut it up much. However, we do get some spots that rut pretty bad - mainly from the heavier sxs's going through them. While some of the sxs's and 4 wheelers we have began getting stuck in these spots, the wolverine just idled through them no problem (stock tires).

I love the power and speed this thing has, and while I believe 53mph top end is more than enough, I like it, and the only reason I'd want it to go faster would be for the sake of being able to say, "yeah, this baby hits 60mph no problem."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the comments. Sounds like it's just the nature of the beast. I have a Grizzly 400 ATV and all you hear is the exhaust.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think the only reason people are hearing the belt whine more than the other Yamaha machines is the location of the engine in relation to the cab. I'd say you'd hear it just as much in the rhinos if you weren't sitting on top of the motor.

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
I put dynamat all around the center console underneath and that seams to have helped alot. I don't even notice it anymore.

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Yes, i'll take some later tonite and have them on in the morning.

Reactions: MORSNO

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Ok, I got em. A little later than expected, but here they are. So when I had my machine apart to do the clutch and lift I wanted to use the dynamat to do 2 things. reduce heat and reduce the noise. I took the bed off and put dynamat on the top of the heat shield and then wrapped some around the removeable center console. Then what I had left over I attached to the inside of center plastic. It did accomplish both objectives.The bed barely warmed up and we tested it in moab for a week. I was extremely pleased with how cool it was. The noise was also reduced a lot. I don't hear the whine like i did before. The whine was one of the first things I noticed when I got the machine. Now it's much more quiet. I can't take credit for this idea. I don't remember who started the first thread on dynamat but I wanted to do it since I read it a few months back.

Here is the center console:

And here is the inside of the console:

If I get more I will put more on the inside of the console. I don't have pics of the heat shield but I covered the whole top side with it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just hit 833 miles, don't even notice the squeal anymore (BTW, I wrote the copy/pasted good/bad post above).

Change the oil, and put some miles on it, the squeal will go down a ton. Like I said, it was nearly unbearable at first, now its unnoticeable.

On a different note, Saturday, I cornered 4 raccoons between the ms levee and the river, those dudes are agile as hell, but not quite as agile as the Wolvie, they were darting around like an NFL running back, it was fun as sh-t.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.