Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Lower mileage less add-ons or Higher mileage Loaded

High Mileage 2020 X4 XTR

7K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Chevymanrc 
#1 ·
First off this my first post on here :cool: so im going to try and figure out the polling system and add a poll.

Im looking at a few units, both used 2020 X4 XTR and was curious what you guys think as far as mileage goes. One is pretty much stock with OEM roof and around 600 miles but with a few dents and scratches. The other is cleaner looking and pretty much loaded (OEM roof, SATV windshield, Yamaha soft enclosure, rear bumper, stereo, 4 speakers, LED light bar) BUT it has 1300 miles. I really like the one with higher miles as it is cleaner looking but i would like to get the general opinion from you guys. If i did go with the higher mileage unit what do you think would be a good starting price considering the accessories and mileage?
Thanks

#4 ·
Lower is at 15k higher is asking 17k
First Welcome
Scroll on down when making a post and you'll see Poll option buttons.
Accessories don't add value. They may not be what you want, even if they are, don't let the dealer know.
Dealers have tried that on me before and I've told them that. They know they don't, but try to use that as another angle. A good dealer/salesman will admit it.

Plastics clean up easily. I've known guys to abuse machines then make them look good for resale.
You need to dig deeper. Look under the unit at the skid plate, A-arms, shock mounts, fluids and test drive for starters.
Price depends on locations and I think big dealers want to move used machines more so than smaller dealers. They make their money on new units and loans.
I will definitely be looking over both units good within the next week depending on work. Any major issues with these motor / drivetrain wise? I had a rhino 660 years ago that was almost bulletproof so I'm hoping Yamaha has only continued to get better.

#3 ·
First Welcome
Scroll on down when making a post and you'll see Poll option buttons.
Accessories don't add value. They may not be what you want, even if they are, don't let the dealer know.
Dealers have tried that on me before and I've told them that. They know they don't, but try to use that as another angle. A good dealer/salesman will admit it.

Plastics clean up easily. I've known guys to abuse machines then make them look good for resale.
You need to dig deeper. Look under the unit at the skid plate, A-arms, shock mounts, fluids and test drive for starters.
Price depends on locations and I think big dealers want to move used machines more so than smaller dealers. They make their money on new units and loans.

#6 ·
Mostly looking around mid atlantic region, IF i can get the guy down to 15-15.5 on the loaded bike do you think that is a "OK" deal? Ive been looking at a few 18 and 19 standard X4s but i think in the long run i would prefer the 2020 as it has the frame upgrades and rear swept a arms in the rear. :unsure:

#7 ·
I went to atv trader. com and searched around the Raleigh, North Carolina area (not sure what is considered mid Atlantic region). There are dealers out there with brand new 2020 X4 XTRs listed at $16,900 and bases at $16,100. Personally I could be tempted at the loaded one at $15,000 if they threw in a 4 year yes warranty. Otherwise I'd buy new at that price point.

#9 ·
Where was the 2020 XTR located for 16.9k if you don't mind me asking?

If you are paying that much I get a 2021. 2021 X4 base is $16499. The cage looks sleeker on the 2021 and they redesigned the doors, getting in and out is just like the RMAX, no more bashing your hip getting in, the pedals are in a better position too. Find a dealer that charges MSRP and no fees. They are out there, you just need to call. I paid MSRP for my 2021 I just ordered.
I do like the newer cage and door/entry design on the 21 for sure.

#8 ·
If you are paying that much I get a 2021. 2021 X4 base is $16499. The cage looks sleeker on the 2021 and they redesigned the doors, getting in and out is just like the RMAX, no more bashing your hip getting in, the pedals are in a better position too. Find a dealer that charges MSRP and no fees. They are out there, you just need to call. I paid MSRP for my 2021 I just ordered.

#20 ·
Base 2021 X4 comes stock with 27" Dirt commanders

#12 ·
Where are you in the Mid atlantic? I have seen some used ones in MD for like 14k for a two seat model.

Also my last two machines have been new and I have driven to WV for a better price. PA is close to the prices as well.

#13 ·
I'm in eastern NC but willing to travel a bit for the right deal. Honestly I started out looking to spend 13-13.5 on a used x4 base, then moved up to 15k or so for a 2020 x4 for the better frame, etc. Now I might as well just order a Rmax4 XTR limited platinum Denali premium. :cautious:

#15 ·
I didn't mean bring you down but at 15K your too close to a new 2021 with all the new upgrades (16,400). You might call around to different dealers and see what they can do on a new price and if there is any wiggle room. Otherwise stick to your guns at 13K. There will be stuff on the market again if you can wait.

#14 ·
I have been very disappointed in the prices of used machines. If its within $2000 of a brand new one, I'm getting the brand new one. I'll have peace of mind knowing I'm the one breaking it in as well as the 6- month warranty. I often wonder if they price the used machines to take advantage of people that are financing? I know the dealer cannot sell it wholesale, he would not stay in business. But near the price of a new one with the sales tax to boot?

I'm near you in central N.C. and its typical Eastern trail riding, mud and creek crossings. Where we ride you end up scratching the sides of the machine & for sure the skid plate and bottom of the A-Arms. You cannot hide this stuff, but it also doesn't hurt anything - its part of off-road trail riding on narrow overgrown trails. I would not be overly concerned about "trail rash", as its normal.

The miles on those two machines are nothing, 600 and 1300. I'm at 3020 miles in 18 months with an average speed of 7.6 mph (400 hours). My axles, A-arm bushings are all good, my ball joints and tie rods are good, and two out of four wheel bearings. I think what broke my wheel bearings was donuts and flipping over. I just changed all my wheel bearings. If they drove those machines the way I do you would be good for another 1500-2000 miles before you'd need to look at wheel bearings.

What are the hours? Higher hours means a slower average speed. Slow speeds on X2/X4 leads to higher CVT temperatures. Yamaha changed the primary and secondary service schedule from 3000 to 1500 miles. If I bought a used machine I'd at least pull the CVT cover and remove the primary & secondary and do the service. You may be able to make this part of the dealer sale.

#16 ·
Get a 2021 X4 they go for 15999 the XTR is 16999 i have been screwed personally every time I've ever bought a used toy. Someone has to have a solid reason to get rid of a 2020 after decking it out.......... I've learned used toys end up biting you and costing more than new at the end of the day.

#17 ·
Another factor to consider is interest rates, generally credit unions will finance new with better rates.

#18 ·
Good point - might get better financing on the new one!

I wonder if the prices on the used machines are artificially high to take advantage of people that don't qualify for great financing. Once they find something they "can get" ... they do so.

Reactions: therebel19
#19 ·
I always go through credit unions regardless, I used harley finance and they were 16%, I went to my credit union and got 4.9% Yamaha approved me for like 11% and my credit union came in at 4.7% even on my travel trailer is was several points, moral of the story is whether new or used, go to your bank first and get the pre approval, the dealers seem to adjust prices and remove freight fees and assembly fees and are more inclined to discount warranties and accessorize when they know you can walk out the door and buy from anywhere.

#22 ·
I have a 2020 X4 XTR, purchased new last January. I ride literally in the Everglades, lots of deep mud, water, swamps, etc. and I have 2500 perfect miles on mine. I’ve lifted it, bigger tires, tuner, etc...but in Respect to reliability, it’s been perfect. In fact, of the 50+ dudes I know that ride near me, mines the only one that hasn’t failed or broken. It’s reliable AF.

#26 ·
At that price I would just buy new. There's not enough savings to justify the used purchase.

#27 ·
Still been on the lookout for a good used one. What do you guys think about this one that just popped up semi local to me???
Thanks

#28 ·
Not a bad deal if you could get it for $15k. A brand new X4 is $16499. I would be tempted to find a dealer in your area that just charges MSRP + tax.

With COVID the prices are insane for used. I ended up ordering a new one instead of paying almost full price for a used one. Yes I have to wait 2-3 months to get it but I am ok with that

Reactions: Jraoffroad
#34 ·
Ok guys, thanks for all the help. I ended up pulling the trigger on the used 2020 above. This is my first SxS since selling my 660 rhino in 2009 or so. Ive not really got to stretch her legs yet but its my understanding that the base models leave a lot to be desired in the suspension area. I will post this in the suspension question as well but does anyone know if the 2021 XTR front shocks will fit the 2020 base models? And if so will it be a decent improvement over stock? I have a friend of a friend who has some OEM 2021 XTR piggyback shocks for sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.