Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. We're in the process of moving from Florida to the Bitterroot Valley in Montana. Trail riding will be our major recreational activity (can't wait!). It's a long story but I originally was going to get a 2 place, 50 inch SxS. My wife suggested we get a 4 place so family can ride too. Once I got over the fact that I'd be giving up a 50 inch trail machine, the Yamaha Wolverine X4 has bubbled to the top on my 'must have' list.

Two questions. 1. How do you all feel about your X4?? I'm a little bummed about the locked rear diff and the 51mph speed limiter. I still think it's a fantastic machine. What else should I know. Looking to buy in March. 2. Do you know of any active off-road groups in the Bitterroot Valley and/or Missoula, MT??

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

The people on here that have the X4's love them! The only complaints I really hear is, for the most part, the rear suspension and the non-square setup from the factory which both are easily corrected.

You personally may not see any issue with either of those. For a trail machine I wouldn't fret too much about the speed as it will most likely never come into play or be an issue.

·
Registered
428 Posts
They're great recreation machines and imo still one of the best 4 seat options, especially if you want a tighter footprint and a quieter machine. Many of us disconnect the sway bars to greatly improve the ride quality.

If you're aware of the fact that it's a recreation machine and isn't supposed to be an industry leader in power/performance/suspension-travel, you won't be disappointed and you will likely love it as many of us do. If you're looking for a high power, more suspension travel or latest and greatest refinement, you'd probably be better of spending the extra money on the RMax.

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
2021 X4 -2021 Kodiak 700- and 2 2021 PW50's
544 Posts
2021 X4 is a great machine, mine does 55mph, they are pretty quick to get there too, only gripe is they are kinda clunky and run out of steam on long steep hill climbs in higher elevation, but I was tearing it up this weekend on some shorter very steep hill climbs and the wolverine did great, I even caught some air.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
It’s not that the X4 is a bad machine at all, reliable, proven capable....... but you could just get an Rmax 4 and it will go all the same places only in much more comfort to you and your passengers, it’s much more capable in rough terrain due to suspension travel, you also won’t be wishing you could improve the ride more after purchase like the vast majority of people that get an X4, you won’t be limited on speed until 70 MPH, and you’ll have way more power when needed.
Maybe it’s not what you want or need and that’s fine but if you haven’t already, at least check it out!

Reactions: Jimbo

·
Registered
Montana, USA
160 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the Bitterroot. I live in the south end of the valley. I bought my X2 in late August and mostly run on my own land and the private roads in my neighborhood. I'm next door to the Bitterroot National Forest so I ride there some too. I haven't looked into any off-road groups. I hope you like snow. That's my front yard 15 minutes ago. 🥶

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.