Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swamped the wolvy cvt. So I tore bed off when I got home to inspect. Cleaned a little with break clean and wiped down. Washed covers and put back together. Pressured washed engine after I got cvt together and before I put panel back on. Problem is 38mph is top speed now. Took 28's off and put factory tires back on and still has engine cut out at 38 mph. Engine or cvt problem. Run and sound fine up to 38 mph. Thanks in advance.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Swamped the wolvy cvt. So I tore bed off when I got home to inspect. Cleaned a little with break clean and wiped down. Washed covers and put back together. Pressured washed engine after I got cvt together and before I put panel back on. Problem is 38mph is top speed now. Took 28's off and put factory tires back on and still has engine cut out at 38 mph. Engine or cvt problem. Run and sound fine up to 38 mph. Thanks in advance.

Did you take primary clutch apart and clean it?

Todd

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Sounds like it is not shifting out. Did you completely disassemble the primary sheave and clean and regrease the tracks and rollers (assuming it is stock)? If not, there could be crap at the end of the tracks preventing the rollers from sliding out all the way. The only ways it will top out at that speed is if you're in low gear, or if the belt ratio is not changing properly, or if you are just lacking engine power. But you said it runs fine up to 38, so that makes me think it is just not shifting out properly. If it isn't crap in the tracks, then could be the clutch slipping, but you would have noticed that on the bottom end, so it can't be that. Grease on the belt would behave the same way as a clutch slipping, so again, you would notice it on the bottom end. The only thing that makes sense here is that the tracks are full of crap.

EDIT:
LOL looks like Todd beat me to the primary while I was typing hahaha!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no. I just took cover off and reached what I could. Probably did get some brake cleaner on the belt though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LMAO...I always thought he said, "Man who go through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok." Haahahaha!
Thanks for help. Called Todd this morning and ordered the works. I was looking for an excise to upgrade to Hunterworks sheave kit. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission (insert dirty look from wife here.)

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Thanks for help. Called Todd this morning and ordered the works. I was looking for an excise to upgrade to Hunterworks sheave kit. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission (insert dirty look from wife here.)
NICE! You are going to absolutely love the kit, it is so much better than stock! I know what you mean about the dirty looks lol...I have spent way to much money on this machine! And still want to spend more!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Question: Ok this week had a very hard trail ride and with the Hunterworks Clutch system in place. Well heard a squeal noise then unable to move forward or reverse. Had some grinding noise and metal shaving blowing out the CVT vent. nice tow bill off the mountain and return to camp to look for the issue. Removed the covers down to the primary clutch found several bent and broken screws securing the cover to the primary clutch (8 screws on plate cover). Then took a look at the four bolt cage on the outside cover (one with the center pulley) found a severe wear pattern in this inner of the cage.

So returned to town to get similar bolts for the cover and replaced these two items onto the primary clutch. Again you could see a clearance problem going on and the inner plate touched the outside cover.

So no idea why these screws worked lose to do this and now Im seeing that even with new parts I'm still going to have a clearance problem..

Any suggestions? Also their is no space between the clutch and belt...

Also : this might be another topic Im having a very hard time switching into gears.....

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I am posting this from my phone so I will be short, but basically you are not supposed to run the cover on the primary with a hunter Works kit because there is no clearance. It's printed on the little piece of paper that comes with the kids.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am posting this from my phone so I will be short, but basically you are not supposed to run the cover on the primary with a hunter Works kit because there is no clearance. It's printed on the little piece of paper that comes with the kids.

Wow now my question what damaged did I do.. I followed the video instructions I was sent to . Piece of paper I did not see that....

Is this why its extremely hard to shift gears???

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Wow now my question what damaged did I do.. I followed the video instructions I was sent to . Piece of paper I did not see that....

Is this why its extremely hard to shift gears???
Honestly the damage you did is likely minimal. Pull the primary, clean everything off, make sure there is no grease left anywhere (I say this because if you didn't know not to use the cover, maybe you don't know not to have any grease). Look for any damage to the faces of the sheaves, and to the belt. If there are not visible chunks, you are good. Look at the inside of the cage where your screws were rubbing, if the wear groove is deeper than about 25% of the thickness of the cage, replace the cage. Other than that, just make sure to leave the screw cover off and clean everything up before you put everything back together. Then go ride.

Oh and as far as getting into gear...I suppose in theory it is possible if you stopped just right when a screw was hung up the cage that the gear box couldn't line up right for a different gear...hmmmm

EDIT:

Here are the install videos.

http://www.hunterworks.com/wolverine_sheave_install

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
If the machine made it up the mountain with no problems, could it be that the sheave nut worked loose and let the sheave slide out and hit the cage?
And, of course the covers got to go.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts