Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tore a CV boot on one of the rear axles yesterday ( diff side boot on drivers side). I'm tearing into it now and can't get the axle out of the diff. I've never tried to take an axle out of a rear diff on an IRS machine. I know on my old Honda 4 wheeler and my dads Rhino the front axles just pop on when you pull them, but this one isn't wanting to come out. My question is dot you have to do anything different on a rear diff that's locked all the time or will it just take a little muscle?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm almost positive you just need to pop it out. Might need a small pry bar. If you call the dealer they will likely just tell you if it just pops out. I'd use a small pry bar or large flat head screwdriver and find a spot for leverage and give it a quick pop.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. I've been looking into getting some pry bars for a while, guess now is a good reason to buy some. The good news is that once I got it cleaned up and tore apart, the boot itself isn't torn something hit the band( big one on diff end of joint) and knocked it back. Just need to clean it up, add grease, and put a new band on it. I was struggling earlier. Even with an impact, I couldn't get the nut off the end of the axle so I was trying to jerk on it with the hub still on there. Next time I'm gonna make sure the impact batteries are fully charged!

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
That's good news. How'd you get the band knocked off?

Tree limbs will find any weak part for sure. My tractor knows that first hand.. valve stems ripped off, battery line to starter (limb pinched it up and grounded it on the frame.. lots of sparks with that one), where it grounded was the mount for the radiator so it put a nice hole in the radiator too. bent pegs, and on and on. Weirdest thing was an ancient hoe and the backend was through the tire and the flat part of the hoe was sitting on the tread. Looked like a flat piece of rusted metal on the tire. Started pulling and holy cow had about 8 inches of a metal shaft into the tire. Hand full of plugs and good as new. LOL

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were riding in an active logging area(not working yesterday though) and one of the holes was tore up so bad by the skidder that there was no way we could get around so we blazed our own trail around and went through some of the brush they had cut off the trees and I got hung up on a couple pretty big pieces. It stuck me enough that I couldn't move forward even in low gear diff locked in. I got it completely apart now and checked it and got what little dirt and water was in the boot out. Went to the local shop and they didn't have any bands in stock so it'll be a couple of days before I get it back together but I didn't have any plans to ride anyway. I do appreciate the tips, and the new Craftsman 25 inch pry bar did the trick!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More tools is always good :D
Right! That was like when I replaced the front wheel bearings in my parents buggy a few years ago, we struggled all afternoon trying to get the end nuts off the axles and couldn't get it. Gave me perfect reason to go buy an impact!

Reactions: Test Master

·
Registered
575 Posts
I bought a tractor size socket set to get the 45mm nut on the clutch of the grizzly..lol if I ever need to work on a big rig I have a ratchet set..

·
Registered
388 Posts
A stick will leave you stranded done it to me many times breaking fuel lines on tractors they just aint outfitted to protect from them but we all ride all up in some sticks and limbs

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd say some a arm guards are in the works soon.

Reactions: chief
1 - 14 of 14 Posts