Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's how I ended up on this forum... I've been looking at property in West Virginia and got my wife to agree that if we buy property, I also buy a UTV to get around it and do some work. Her and I both had four wheelers about 10 years ago. They were a blast, but the kids were little and riding opportunities become hard to come by. As such, they got sold with low miles to some lucky buyer and I took the loss. My youngest is now 15 and we're starting to think about the next chapter in our lives. I mentioned wanting something get around the property on (assuming I actually buy something) and she quickly said...I don't want another four wheeler. I jokingly responded with "how about a side by side" and, much to my surprise, she said...keep it under $20k. You betcha, baby!

That got me researching UTVs and looking at what might make sense for me. I don't care about crazy power, big jumps, etc... I'm more interested in good performance, high versatility, and excellent reliability. After a many days and countless hours or research, I stumbled across the Wolverine. Seems to be exactly what I had hoped to find. Looking forward to following the forum and hopefully, someday, just maybe, joining the Wolverine R Spec club.

Rich M

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Welcome........I love my rspec

·
Registered
395 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

Wolverine R Spec would be a good choice. Kawasaki Tyrex and Honda Pioneer are all great choices too. Of course you can't go wrong with a Polaris Ranger either. Ranger is a little more work oriented but you can definitely have fun in them.

·
July WOTM Winner!
207 Posts
Welcome Ryder....

I as well did about a year of research, watching reviews, forum stalking and such. When the wolverine came out I was not too impressed to say the least. Small motor, average suspension travel, no flashing graphics/paint schemes, and just no WOW factor. I was settled on getting a commander but was waiting to see Yamahas release of the YXZ (being a Yamaha guy for yrs) before making any final decision. Then reviews started coming out on youtube and such and they were very impressed with the machine so I figured id give it an in depth look rather than the pass over I did in the spring. I started reading just about every post on this forum and watching more and more videos of the wolverine in action and came to the conclusion that there was not a better machine suited for my needs.
Requirement list I started with when my search started:
1) reliability
2) easy on the body....Raptor beats the crap out me the first few rides of the season
3) off road/exploring untraveled woods
4) 75% recreation 25% utility....utility being= can tug /pull/ carry items (tools, cooler, gas) for 8-10 rides.......dump bed is not required in my thought of utility
5) Handling....I like fast trail riding
6) enough motor to keep up with friends...most have the MAV/RZR

I've had my machine a whole 2 days and put 2 miles on it ( parking lot at shop ) but I am happy with my purchase so far. I will have an better conclusion if I had made the right choice come early fall but I do not expect a disappointment. I went thru the same process before purchasing my Raptor in 2002 and have never looked back. That
machine have served me well with no issues other than a ball joint 2 yrs ago and has been passed down to my sons. Wish I had done the homework before purchasing the kids 4wheelers thru the yrs, the Polaris Trailblazers had motor rebuilds/ball joints/bushings/ you name they had it.

Reactions: Ryder
1 - 7 of 7 Posts