Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tires I just order Sunday through Discount Tire Direct arrived today, 2 days later. They are GBC Dirt Commanders. I went with these because I've had them before and liked them plus I get 6 months to pay for them interest-free with Discount Tire and they don't carry others I was considering.
I got 27-9-12 for the front and 27-11-12 for the back to go on the stock aluminum wheels. They are an inch wider than stock tires. According to shipping weight, the fronts are 25 lbs. each and the rears are 29 lbs. each. The back ones look wiiiide! I saw a few posts where others had gone with these sizes and had no issues, but tires can vary. They should round out a bit after being mounted too. There's no reason to worry about the width and the machine will do ok with tires this heavy, right?
Others have gone with 8-ply that are heavier. Anyone have any feedback after doing some riding on heavier tires with respect to power loss?

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
The tires I just order Sunday through Discount Tire Direct arrived today, 2 days later. They are GBC Dirt Commanders. I went with these because I've had them before and liked them plus I get 6 months to pay for them interest-free with Discount Tire and they don't carry others I was considering.
I got 27-9-12 for the front and 27-11-12 for the back to go on the stock aluminum wheels. They are an inch wider than stock tires. According to shipping weight, the fronts are 25 lbs. each and the rears are 29 lbs. each. The back ones look wiiiide! I saw a few posts where others had gone with these sizes and had no issues, but tires can vary. They should round out a bit after being mounted too. There's no reason to worry about the width and the machine will do ok with tires this heavy, right?
Others have gone with 8-ply that are heavier. Anyone have any feedback after doing some riding on heavier tires with respect to power loss?

View attachment 19209

You will be just fine with those tires. As for power loss, call Todd, or log on to Hunterworks.com and get yourself a slug kit and machined sheave kit. You will be glad you did, and wonder how you ever drove the machine without it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might do that eventually when funds are available. I've got a new machine I've been throwing money at already. Just hope it will still be good in the mean time with these!

·
Engineer
1,924 Posts
They are bighorns on steroids. Great tire, the only thing that wears them is asphalt and I have driven many miles on the tarmac with them. I have the 11.0 fatties out back with them, but most Razors that I have seen run them use the 9.50 tire all the way around. You should be okay, get the wet clutch slugged asap, take off is tougher on it. Use molten lead if you can't afford the kit, 6-7 grams, follow 9g link in my signature.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I am considering now. What's a few hundred $'s more, right? Sigh.
But seriously, there are the 2 options I'm aware of- one being Hunterworks and the other JBS. Is there a reason to go with one over the other?

·
Administrator
2,189 Posts
Ok, I am considering now. What's a few hundred $'s more, right? Sigh.
But seriously, there are the 2 options I'm aware of- one being Hunterworks and the other JBS. Is there a reason to go with one over the other?
Maybe these links will help you:
http://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/121-cvt-sheaves-wet-clutch/4529-sheave-comparison.html
http://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/25-hunterworks/6473-best-sheave-just-got-better.html

Anything further, please visit the Sheave section of our forum. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
yes, I have 28x9x14 and 28x10x14 on mine with stock clutch and have done a lot of riding with them which includes lots of hill climbing. They are blackwater evolutions and are 8 ply. I have had no issues and am actually seeing better fuel economy. Sa far as power comparison goes I have noticed a small difference on take off but it is very little and I can still spin the rear wheels with no problem, since the wolvy is a torque monster it does not mind the larger tire too much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, I have 28x9x14 and 28x10x14 on mine with stock clutch and have done a lot of riding with them which includes lots of hill climbing. They are blackwater evolutions and are 8 ply. I have had no issues and am actually seeing better fuel economy. Sa far as power comparison goes I have noticed a small difference on take off but it is very little and I can still spin the rear wheels with no problem, since the wolvy is a torque monster it does not mind the larger tire too much.
Thanks for that! Good to hear. Really don't want to mess with it if not necessary. I got my warranty extended to 4 years for an extra $300 when I bought it. If something ever went wrong it wouldn't surprise me if a mod altering the clutch would be a sticky point. Hoping to get mine out in a couple more weeks to see for myself.

·
Engineer
1,924 Posts
Well here's the skinny on that. The Wolverine ultramatic clutch was originally designed for a vehicle that weighted 640 pounds, pulling with 40hp and 25 inch tires. Now, the same exact clutch (other than slight tuning) is pulling 1300lbs + driver/gear, 48hp and +26" tires. For every inch you go up in tires size, you loose 4% of your gearing capacity and you are already down 4% running stock tires. So a 28" diameter tire is actually a decrease of 12% in gearing, not taking the weight of the tire into consideration. It's definitely something to be concerned about, I'd check with your dealer to see what they think regarding your warranty service. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Haha, I just got in some 30" Outback Max tires for the YXZ. Going to see how they do on the Wolverine too. Been running the 28" Mega Mayhems with the Hunterworks sheave and it has been perfect.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Thanks for that! Good to hear. Really don't want to mess with it if not necessary. I got my warranty extended to 4 years for an extra $300 when I bought it. If something ever went wrong it wouldn't surprise me if a mod altering the clutch would be a sticky point. Hoping to get mine out in a couple more weeks to see for myself.
FWIW...they wouldn't warranty a drive line issue anyway with larger than stock tires on the machine, regardless of whether or not you have made any other modifications. That is unless you have a really nice dealer lol. Now if you kept the stock wheels and tires you could always throw them back on before taking to dealer for warranty work. Honestly, the sheave isn't that hard to replace, but getting to it is a bit of a pain. You have to take a lot of prices/parts off to gain access. I suppose I am one of those people who likes to be prepared, and because of that I wouldn't even consider running oversized tires without clutchwork. At the very least, you should slug the wet clutch, and run in low gear whenever you are not running at road speeds. This will help the clutch plates last longer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also have a question about tires for the Wolverine. Last Saturday I bumped a rock with the stock rear tire and it ripped the sidewall open about an inch above the rim. I was lucky and only about a mile from a dealer and was able to tube the tire and make it home. The next day we went on a 100 mile ride and I was worried about popping another tire open during the whole trip.
I want to get a tire with more of a closed tread design and will be happy with just 26 inch tires. Most of the trails up here are old railroad beds and the other trails are strewn with rocks, Lots of rocks. There are also a lot of access roads to the trails so the tires will see a lot of pavement. I've looked at the following tires.
STI Rocktane, Maxxis Viper, GBC Dirt Commanders and the Sedonia Ripsaws.
I really like the Ripsaws but I'm worried about the weight of the tires (32.6 lbs front and 34.6 lbs rear) with the stock clutch. I plan to do upgrades to the clutch and motor in the future but would like to have any opinions on tires for the time being.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.