Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add a heater to my 2019 X4. I have spent a ton of time looking on these forums and it seems most go with:

1. OEM Heater - Works ok not a ton of heat.
  2. Summit Heater - Blows alot of heat, slightly more difficult install.
  3. Inferno - Small, weaker, eliminates under seat placement. ( I don't really have deep water concerns)
  4. Inferno 32,000 BTU - Goes under seat, most powerful in the BTU category that I have come across being installed.
What I never seem to find is any description of the above's effectiveness in the cold. In the winter I intend to ride in my X4 with a soft cab and passengers. It is not uncommon to be in the teens with 10+ mph wind chill. Does anyone have experience with the above in those types of conditions? Which heater would provide the most heat based off experience? How warm can you get your cab?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have the OEM and it seems to work great for me, with soft upper doors (this fall!) I'd say it would be more than warm enough.

Around 26 degrees is about the coldest I believe I've ridden the RMAX in..

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a 2019 X2 and I installed the OE Yamaha heater. Not only was it a pain to install but the heat output is not that great when temps get down in the 20s. With it being under the seat, getting in deeper water fills it up and you then have a sauna for 20-30 mins. I wish I never got this POS heater.The worst part about it is that the heat ducts are un-insulated and with it being under the seat they are about 3-4 foot long before the heat exits. I wish I would have got the Inferno (wheel well mount). Whatever you decide,be sure to get a inline thermostat such as a Maxstat.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2019 X2 and I installed the OE Yamaha heater. Not only was it a pain to install but the heat output is not that great when temps get down in the 20s. With it being under the seat, getting in deeper water fills it up and you then have a sauna for 20-30 mins. I wish I never got this POS heater.The worst part about it is that the heat ducts are un-insulated and with it being under the seat they are about 3-4 foot long before the heat exits. I wish I would have got the Inferno (wheel well mount). Whatever you decide,be sure to get a inline thermostat such as a Maxstat.
Thats good info! My only concern is the inferno may not be strong enough especially when it comes to pushing heat to the back. I think its like 6000 btu weaker than the Yamaha one. If you drive around in low gear can you generate more heat that way?

·
Registered
2021 Rmax4 LE
136 Posts
Inferno I installed in Rmax4. Under seat. Been in some water and no issues but I dont drown it in 3' either. It works well. Not crazy strong but decent. Wa state isnt cold so 30degree trail riding will keep us 50-60 degrees with soft cab. Good enough for us. Not best at defrosting in snow so might need a rag to help. No thermostat but at 190 eng temps thats fine. Takes minute warm up. Install ok but duct routing sucked! I would buy again but it isnt a "killer" system. Old KRX with factory heat was much better.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thats good info! My only concern is the inferno may not be strong enough especially when it comes to pushing heat to the back. I think its like 6000 btu weaker than the Yamaha one. If you drive around in low gear can you generate more heat that way?
I don't have the inferno so I don't know how well it pushes heat out. Mine blows air decent for the small cab. As far as the btu rating goes.....well my heater actually cools the engine down when the temps get down in the 20s and that is with a inline thermostat. Engine temp gets in the 170s and that really doesn't give ya much heat in the cab. Now I also throw a piece of rubber mudflap in front of the radiator and this helps also.Without the inline thermostat I got about no heat at all. Another problem I have is I got the Weller reflash and my fan comes on at 190 degrees and this is not the best when trying to get warmed up when it is cold out. Running around in low gear helps but gets old pretty quick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got a 2020 x4 xtr with inferno wheel well, soft cab. That time of year I'm hunting so generally well dressed, and it works with those stipulations. Would not want to go flip flops and shorts when its 20 out. Doesn't do much for the rear passengers but those folks are generally warmer just by nature of sitting on top of the engine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I appreciate the responses! I’m gonna go with the Yamaha one just for the sake of a slightly easier install.
The Yamaha one is not a slightly easier install. From what I read the Inferno (wheel well) one is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts