Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found any heavy duty tie rods that fit the Wolverine? If I can't find a set, I'm thinking of getting a set of HD tie rods made for the YXZ and cutting them down to fit. Just need to find out if the threads are the same at the rack...

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Gixxer- I have not done any research to see if there are any HD tie rods for the Wolverines but the Rhino use the same tie rod end. Might be a good place to start. I am interested in a set of HD if they are available too because I have already broke one end.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Haven't found any but they are pretty strong. Sure you can bend one but they are cheap and very easy to replace. I keep a few in the trailer just in case. Rather replace a tie rod than a rack or spindle. I've hit big rocks and roots that stopped me dead quite a few times. While following my wife, I watched her hit a tree bounce back then hit it again and start climbing up it. LOL When in doubt "Gas it" doesn't always work. Thought for sure it was bent but nope still straight as can be. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Sorry... My brain jumped straight to the tie rod "ends" (5B4-23841-00-00) when I read that. Probably since that was one of the first things I broke lol

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Ok I had to do some digging myself now... So it looks like the Viking and Wolverine use the same steering assembly (1XD-F3400-00-00) so it looks like Wicked Built has a Rackzilla HD set for just over $300. Search "Wicked Bilt Rackzilla Heavy Duty Steering Rack & Pinion Yamaha Viking 700" on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Sometimes it's good to have a weak link. I'd rather bust a tie rod than tear up the rack.

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Engineer
1,914 Posts
You don't want to install HD tie rod ends unless you are adding a new HD racknpinion as well. Same thing people did on the Rhinos, all it did was break the stock rack. Tie rod end is cheaper to replace.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You don't want to install HD tie rod ends unless you are adding a new HD racknpinion as well. Same thing people did on the Rhinos, all it did was break the stock rack. Tie rod end is cheaper to replace.
What he said. Just carry a bunch of OEM tie rods. It takes 5 mins to replace. Last thing you want to do is replace a EPS rack.

My CanAm. Bent it but pounded it back in place on the trail with a hammer and rock. It only bent because I had 12 ply military tires on it and hit a rock going pretty fast. The tires didn't puncture so all that energy transferred to the next piece. Had I been running 6-9 ply tires, this would have simply been a typical tire plug. If I had heavy duty tire rods, I'm sure my steering rack would have been destroyed. These things are engineered a certain way. Best to leave them be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.