Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just needed some ideas on buying a trailer.

Enclosed vs Open trailer

Aluminum vs steel

Size?

other considerations? Maybe post some pictures or recommend a certain brand. Thanks for some ideas.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am in the market for a trailer as well. I have towed an all Alum trailer and an all steel trailer and didn't notice that much difference towing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i got a 6 x 12 for a $1000 bucks. its steel. its not the heaviest duty you can get, but it is all you need to pull a wolv. it has treated 2x6's for a floor. don't know the brand. I will look tho. oh and it has 3500# rated axle.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have a 16' car hauler for sale. That's plenty big enough to haul a Wolvie.

Personally, I wouldn't go any smaller than 6x12 myself. When I bought mine, I found a pretty nice homemade 6x14 tandem axle that works pretty good.

·
Banned
420 Posts
i got a 6 x 12 for a $1000 bucks. its steel. its not the heaviest duty you can get, but it is all you need to pull a wolv. it has treated 2x6's for a floor. don't know the brand. I will look tho. oh and it has 3500# rated axle.
Ditto. I have the same trailer.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Alum a lot of extra coin. My buddy and I both have tandem axle car haulers that we also use for our jeeps. The one bonus is that his trailer is 18 ft + 2 ft beavertail and we can easily get both our wolverines on that trailer. We almost always ride together and it is usually at least 2hr drive each way. Being able to buddy up and share gas expense is nice. It's also nicer than each riding alone down the hiway. We just alternate who's pickup we use.

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
I just bought a 77" x 12' aluminum. I wanted the 12' to be able to get a wolverine on there with tracks or a plow or both without being to hard to maneuver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
VZM.IMG_20151219_112758.jpg
6x10 Steel Trailer. Fits perfect just for the machine. Only problem is I need to load the wolverine ass first to get more tongue weight.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I bought a Rice trailers car hauler. It was about 2,200. I wouldn't get an enclosed trailer unless you plan to use it as a tent or need it for stuff that can't get went.

I went with a car hauler so I can haul multiple machines so trips down south, you can double up on people and save fuel and have someone to talk to on the drive there.

Hit a huge hole last trip to WV and bent the wheel. Yes, the hammer did the trick to round it back in place and pop the bead back on :O)

IMG_0158.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
If I was rich I would have an aluminum trailer. Never have to worry about rust or replacing boards. Since I am not rich I just have a 6.5x14 steel trailer with a 3500lb axle. Since the pics were taken I now have a piece of 2" angle across it at the first upright brace to center the weight of my Wolverine over the wheels and gives me a nice place up front on the trailer to carry coolers and gas jugs.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am using a 6x12 steel trailer. IMG_4868.JPG

·
Registered
718 Posts
Here is the 6x14 I bought when I bought the Wolverine and the new 16 footer I just got last week. Now I just have to decide which one to sell because I don't need both. image.jpg trailer.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm guessing the Aluminum trailer does not rust why people go that route. Weight does not matter much I'm guessing. I see everyone posting is using an open trailer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awesome, I bought a grizzly there in 2012, then sold it an got my wolverine this past october. Im from Keyser

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
The only reasons I would consider enclosed would be:
1....if I lacked garage space and planned to store the machine in the trailer.....or
2....if I wanted to camp in it on trips.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
I use an 8.5'x16'+V front tandem axle aluminum open snowmobile trailer. Tons of flexibility for year-round use, 3 snowmobiles, 4 ATV's, SxS + ATV's, plus plenty of room for coolers, extra gas cans, firewood, water jugs, etc. Tandem axle with brakes is another requirement for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a 8X16 enclosed that I made into a toy hauler for overnight trips with my SXS or my road bike and looking for a 6x12 open trailer to use for day rides.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts