Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everybody, I have the funds to buy a new Wolverine R Spec, and already own my FJ Cruiser and 6x12 box trailer. The opening at the ramp door is 69 1/4 inches. I dont have the funds for a new trailer, nor do I have the parking to store yet another trailer. I need my box trailer as I use it for storage when not hauling toys.

If I remove the plastic roof top covering the cage, and flatten the tires of the Wolverine R Spec will it fit in my trailer door opening (69 inches)????

HELP!!! I want a wolvey!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I noticed the rear shocks were only about 1/4 inch from full loose on the spring preload, but am willing to lower ride height to minimum if it will help? I also considered a few 50lb bags of sand to load in the bed to make it sag further.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Mine is 76" tall, I don't see how you could loose 7" very easy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am hoping its possible, I keep thinking 3-3.5 from flat rear tires. 4 inches of suspension compression VIA sand bags in bed, or ratchet strapping down the rear suspension .....

I am trying to hold firm on NOT spending even more money and buying a trailer too. I just bought a new box trailer 6 mths ago.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't know how often you ride but if taking it out and putting it away is a chore each time you'll likely ride it a lot less. I am in the process right now myself of buying a new open trailer due to not liking how my wolvy will fit on my current trailer. In my opinion I want confidence it's secure and I want t make it as easy to use as possible. Basically chop it as mentioned above or new trailer. Are you in a place where another small trailer can't he locked and tucked behind a garage?

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Just riding it for 100 miles will lose him about 2.5" LOL, da*n sagging springs...

Seriously though, Short of chopping the cage down, I don't see 7" coming off the overall height. The roof won't gain you much because the cage is angled upwards in the back. Compressing the suspension all the time will be pretty hard are the shock/spring assemblies. Flattening the tires will be a pain in the a$$, but will gain you the most drop in height.

You could always get real crazy here....buy a set of used bone stock grizzly wheels, or viking wheels, or anything with a 4/110 bolt pattern, and put JUST the wheels on the wolvy when you need to trailer it. No tires. Just wheels. If you go from a 26" tire to a 12" wheel, that's a 7" difference in height. Now, you are going to be missing an inch because the machine compresses the tires some naturally, but a sand bag in the bag will do that for you. So every time you need to put it in the trailer, just jack it up and swap wheels out. Put the wheels/tires you take off in the bed of the wolvy for extra weight. It could work.

BTW, I happen to have a full set of stock grizzly wheels for sale...lol. You just need to drill the holes out a little bigger because they are for 10mm studs and the wolvy is 12mm studs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know how often you ride but if taking it out and putting it away is a chore each time you'll likely ride it a lot less. I am in the process right now myself of buying a new open trailer due to not liking how my wolvy will fit on my current trailer. In my opinion I want confidence it's secure and I want t make it as easy to use as possible. Basically chop it as mentioned above or new trailer. Are you in a place where another small trailer can't he locked and tucked behind a garage?
Just riding it for 100 miles will lose him about 2.5" LOL, da*n sagging springs...

Seriously though, Short of chopping the cage down, I don't see 7" coming off the overall height. The roof won't gain you much because the cage is angled upwards in the back. Compressing the suspension all the time will be pretty hard are the shock/spring assemblies. Flattening the tires will be a pain in the a$$, but will gain you the most drop in height.

You could always get real crazy here....buy a set of used bone stock grizzly wheels, or viking wheels, or anything with a 4/110 bolt pattern, and put JUST the wheels on the wolvy when you need to trailer it. No tires. Just wheels. If you go from a 26" tire to a 12" wheel, that's a 7" difference in height. Now, you are going to be missing an inch because the machine compresses the tires some naturally, but a sand bag in the bag will do that for you. So every time you need to put it in the trailer, just jack it up and swap wheels out. Put the wheels/tires you take off in the bed of the wolvy for extra weight. It could work.

BTW, I happen to have a full set of stock grizzly wheels for sale...lol. You just need to drill the holes out a little bigger because they are for 10mm studs and the wolvy is 12mm studs.
Yea, I agree. If its a task every time to load it to go riding I will much likely ride less, and not enjoy it as much. Riding is all an hr or 2 away, so its gonna be every time I wanna ride it. Plus 2-4 hrs drive time hauling it. Sure I will use it around the house, and the local short runs to the store, plowing drive, and various things within a mile radius of my place. But real riding is all far away. I considered swapping bare wheels on rear to gain clearance but was hoping flattening them would do. Chopping the cage a few inches could be an option, anybody do that yet?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had the same issue. Had a beautiful 6 x 12 alum enclosed..custom v nose. My bone stock RSpec would not fit..not to mention having to get out of the bike once I had it in the trailer. Thought of the diff ways to make it fit..like you, but ended up selling the trailer for a new Triton alum deck over. It hauls way easier...and no more fussing w loading.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I had the same issue. Had a beautiful 6 x 12 alum enclosed..custom v nose. My bone stock RSpec would not fit..not to mention having to get out of the bike once I had it in the trailer. Thought of the diff ways to make it fit..like you, but ended up selling the trailer for a new Triton alum deck over. It hauls way easier...and no more fussing w loading.
My interior height is 75 inches. I have been dragging my feet on this purchase because I dont wanna buy another trailer. But some of the other fellas here say they clear the lower door height because the roof peak is so far forward relative to the rear axles. So the roof clears because the rear wheels are still on the ramp when the roof passes the door jam. I think if I flatten the tires, and use a few sand bags in the bed I can haul it just fine with my current 69 inch door opening,75 inch interior height. I will install an anchor point so i can winch the wolvy in without driving it in, then just strap down the rear. I think I am gonna roll the dice and try it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty much what your doing. No way would you go through that much BS every time. Sell your current trailer and buy the right trailer.
The dealer has 6x10 utility trailers on the floor as well, however they are open sides. If I am gonna buy another trailer I need it to be mesh sides so I can use it for yard debris, construction debris etc....I refuse to sell my box trailer as it serves many needs, but Lowes has the utility trailer style I need (high sides, with mesh enclosed) for a few hundred more than the dealer wants for the open sided trailer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealer has 6x10 utility trailers on the floor as well, however they are open sides. If I am gonna buy another trailer I need it to be mesh sides so I can use it for yard debris, construction debris etc....I refuse to sell my box trailer as it serves many needs, but Lowes has the utility trailer style I need (high sides, with mesh enclosed) for a few hundred more than the dealer wants for the open sided trailer.
You can grab a 20% off lowes coupon on ebay, and it makes it more manageable. Tractor supply carries the high sided 6x10 from Carry-On as well. Good luck. I need to offload my 5x8 atv trailer and pick up a new one. Looking at 6x12 utility trailers on craigslist.

·
Registered
198 Posts
just a short 300 mile round trip to find out is all.....
sorry Bobbed06 had no idea it was that far for you, I forget to think about things like that sometimes, I looked at some of the carry-on enclosed trailers down here at the tool sale today, they have a 7x14 with the 7ft ceiling in it, matter of fact I'm going back tomorrow to bid on one, dought if I will get it cause I'm cheep:D, but point is I wonder if you could trade yours in on one like that, if they would give you anything for yours, if its like most dealers probably not, but if it wasn't too far away id give it a try, just a thought

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry Bobbed06 had no idea it was that far for you, I forget to think about things like that sometimes, I looked at some of the carry-on enclosed trailers down here at the tool sale today, they have a 7x14 with the 7ft ceiling in it, matter of fact I'm going back tomorrow to bid on one, dought if I will get it cause I'm cheep:D, but point is I wonder if you could trade yours in on one like that, if they would give you anything for yours, if its like most dealers probably not, but if it wasn't too far away id give it a try, just a thought
I need my box trailer to keep my harley in until I get the garage built. I just moved, so things arent flowing well quite yet. Still lotsa work to do before I actually have time to play anyways.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can grab a 20% off lowes coupon on ebay, and it makes it more manageable. Tractor supply carries the high sided 6x10 from Carry-On as well. Good luck. I need to offload my 5x8 atv trailer and pick up a new one. Looking at 6x12 utility trailers on craigslist.

If I can get 20% off the carry on 6x10 mesh high sided trailer from Lowes I would be within a reasonable cost to splurge on a new trailer for "work :rolleyes: purposes" .......Then of course a new wolverine will accidently happen to end up in it....

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I don't know about where you're located but used enclosed trailers hold their resale value really well around here. You could maybe upsize with less out of pocket than whole nother trailer........unless of course you just need an excuse for another trailer. A man can never have to many toys....or toy haulers.

Reactions: Bobbed06
1 - 20 of 25 Posts