Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many you have been to Hatfield Mcoy?? Thinking of planning a trip next year. We always go west. Thinking of going east once.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I have rode Rockhouse, Bear wallow, Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek and Pocohontas. All are decent systems. Bear wallow and rock house are more technical. The others have technical spots but over all are more scenic. If you stay somewhere like Ashland Resort you can ride IR, PC and Pocohontas without having to trailer your buggy, plus if you find someone who knows the area, there are miles and miles of outlaw trails in that area

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Outlaw trails?? Sounds interesting.
Looking at Ashland and Buffalo Trail area
What kind of temps would I find in mid June ?

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Mid June will be warm, probably 80's but the creeks should still be fairly deep that early
The outlaw trails are way more fun than the official trails, but you can get lost pretty easily. Take a gps and know how to use it. Make sure you have plenty of gas if you're not with a guide and if you see no trespassing signs, don't go there. They will shoot

·
Registered
395 Posts
We have been going there twice a year for the last 6 years. We used to stay at twin hallow campground which is beautiful and the guy, Wayne, that runs is keeps it in top top shape. Only problem is that you only have direct access to Rock House which is my least favorite trail down there. I think they have been working on another connector but I am not sure the status. Its close to pinnacle and bear wallow but you have to trailer there. Rock house is just that, ROCKS. It really beats up your machine. I went through 12 ply tires last time I was down there.

The last 3 times we have gone, we stay in crumpler at ashland resort. There are campgrounds and houses you can rent. You can ride straight to Pocahontas, Pinnacle and Indian Ridge. The outlaw trails are great. Outlaw trails are the local trails that aren't necessarily part of the HMC system. You can also ride into riders paradise which is pretty wild.

Totally worth is no matter where you decide to go. I would definitely pick ashland if its you and a bunch of buddies. The area is a lot more depressed than Twin Hallow/Gilbert but the trails are way better. If you are with the wife and want a nicer relaxing camping experience (unless you are married to a wild one), then go to Twin Hallow and ride the green/blue rock house trails. Wayne will take care of you. Place is clean and new feeling and the view is BEATIFUL. Ashland cabins are good. Not as big and there isn't really a view. We rent crumpler house #3. If you do stay in ashland ever, do not rent Diannes Trailer. We got that last minute because that's all they had and it was pretty bad. It became pretty funny though so it was worth it. We would be cooking inside and the rain would be pouring into the kitchen. The lights would only work if you banged on the walls in random places.

Twin Hollow Campground and Cabins

Index :: Ashland Atv Resort

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you get on hot rod forums ( it's a jbs forum ) those guys can tell you all about the outlaw trails as most of them are from that area.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Rode all 7 locations we.go at.least 5 times a year the best riding in the.country. Plan a trip you will.not regret it. My personal favorite is Buffalo mountain. But all offer something different. If your interested I can recommend some great places to stay.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I love H/M but wouldn't call it the best on earth. Try windrock and wilderness trails, both excellent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts