Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
If the spring comes off will you have a hard start every time or could it be intermittent??

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been hard to start from day one. Until recently it was just a test mule so I thought it was a weak battery. With a hot off charger battery it will turn over. Anyway. I have no idea if it was ever there or where it is. May never know. I'm just gonna put a new spring on it and run it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting. My cold start is horrible. I just hit 20 hours on my bike, but I usually have to turn it over 3 times to get it running. Or else I can hold the key down while it sputters, but I would rather not put that kind of wear on the starter and battery. Once it has been started for the day, it runs and starts perfect for the rest of the outing.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. My cold start is horrible. I just hit 20 hours on my bike, but I usually have to turn it over 3 times to get it running. Or else I can hold the key down while it sputters, but I would rather not put that kind of wear on the starter and battery. Once it has been started for the day, it runs and starts perfect for the rest of the outing.
yours will turn over, mine would not, it would bet stuck on compression stroke.

When you say turn it over 3 times what do you mean exactly? Hit the key three times?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
If it was slow starting from day 1, then that spring must not have been in there from the factory. If anyone else has this, take it back to the dealer. I'm sure it'll be warranted.

MNDruggist, does it crank over fast and just spudders out? Turn the key on and you will hear the pump run. Wait for it to stop running before cranking it over.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
This sounds more like you need to let the fuel pump pressurize first. Turn the key to the on position for 5 seconds, then turn it to the start position. If it still isn't starting without stalling, you may need to double check the valve adjustment. Had your first service done yet? If not, my bet is valves need adjusted.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Valve adjusting on this machine is a booger, hope i never have to do it. You have to have shims to go under the shim buckets.

Have not looked at my manual to see when it is supposed to be done

·
Registered
106 Posts
Valve adjusting on this machine is a booger, hope i never have to do it. You have to have shims to go under the shim buckets.

Have not looked at my manual to see when it is supposed to be done
Todd I don't want to get on your bad side but I hope you do and soon. Bet I am not the only one who would like to see the video.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it was slow starting from day 1, then that spring must not have been in there from the factory. If anyone else has this, take it back to the dealer. I'm sure it'll be warranted.

MNDruggist, does it crank over fast and just spudders out? Turn the key on and you will hear the pump run. Wait for it to stop running before cranking it over.
Yes, it cranks fast and spudders out. I hit the key, it starts and rumbles for less then a second and then it dies. I always need to start it 2-3 times when cold starting for the first time during an outing. It runs great after that for the entire rest of the day. I usually have it hooked to a battery tender when not in use, and don't have the slow start as shown in the other video. One thing that I do, is use my winch as a front tiedown to a D-Ring on my trailer. I turn my key to the on position to power the winch. It is on for at least five seconds while I use the winch, but not again a second time before I start the engine.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Todd I don't want to get on your bad side but I hope you do and soon. Bet I am not the only one who would like to see the video.
You are not getting on my bad side, and I am not planning on adjusting them any time soon. I had 5 rhino's before I changed oil in one!!! LOL

Anyone know when the manual suggests adjustment? I don't know where my manual is.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Come on Todd I have already watched all your other videos. Show us something new. Your teaching videos are much better then the crap on TV.

DO IT DO IT............
Ok when they start clattering I will do it, might be a while don't ride it much

Basically, you take cover off, then cam chain tensioner out, whatever you call the thing that holds the cams in off, then the valve buckets and then swap out the right shim under the bucket to get the desired clearance and you need several shims to start the project

Todd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts