Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been keeping an eye on this machine since it was announced. I'm liking just about everything I'm seeing/reading. One thing that worries me is the ground clearance. 10.7" is not very much. Especially when it states "maximum" ground clearance on the Yamaha website. The front shocks are adjustable. So when they say "maximum" ground clearance, is that with the front shocks cranked all the way up? And with the self leveling rear shocks, will they continue to level the machine as you crank the front shocks up? Or will they just self "level" to their factory height no matter how high you adjust the front? Which would leave the front high & the rear low. We ride a lot of muddy dug out trails. If I end up getting one of these machines, I plan on putting on some larger mud tires on, but still, going through a rutted out trail where the center portion is a lot higher than where the tires ride, I see it getting hung up a lot.

For any current X4 owners out there, can you measure your ground clearance down the center of the skid plate where it's the lowest? Also include how high your front shocks are adjusted if you can. Pics are always a plus.

Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know we're all busy, but no one has 5 minutes to take a couple measurements? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! We'll see how long it takes before a small lift kit comes out.

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,092 Posts
Couple things to consider:

I don't know why they say 10.7". I've measured 11".
It has arched A-arms which adds a lot to usable clearance.
It has up swept sides, so at the rails you have nearly 13" of clearance

I don't know about you guys but when I see a big rock I try to ride it with my tires and don't try to steer over it so it's centered under my rig. Is this how you all approach obstacles as well?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couple things to consider:

I don't know why they say 10.7". I've measured 11".
It has arched A-arms which adds a lot to usable clearance.
It has up swept sides, so at the rails you have nearly 13" of clearance

I don't know about you guys but when I see a big rock I try to ride it with my tires and don't try to steer over it so it's centered under my rig. Is this how you all approach obstacles as well?
We ride a lot of mud & deep rutted out trails. Obviously the up swept sides is a plus, but the clearance at the middle of the skid plate is a concern. A 2" lift kit with 28" tires should put you around 14" of ground clearance. I can live with that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts