Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Greasing the Wolverine

55K views 73 replies 35 participants last post by  PapaSkeeta 
#1 ·
What is the best way to get a grease gun on the rear upper and lower arms fittings? Same with driveshaft. I had no luck at all.

#3 · (Edited)
I pop the top bolts out of the rear shocks and let the machine down for the rear nuckles. Front drive shaft is easy peasy and the one by the air box is a pain in the ass. Also use a good marine grease so water doesn't mess it all up .. grease often as rear knuckle bushings may be cheap but it's no fun replacing them

#4 · (Edited)
I thought about putting 90 degree fittings but no telling where they would end up pointing when tight PISS poor placement for sue. I found a 90 degree slider but it would not go on. Thanks:cool:

If you take bolts out of shocks does anything jump out at ya? obviously has to be jacked up where there is no tension, and when you let it down does it give you easy access to fittings? :confused:

#5 ·
Hay I found that thread on page 16 and that grease coupler that fordtruckman had on there is what I got and it wouldn't slide on are there different size fittings?

#6 ·
I put 90 degree fittings on mine and the lower ones hit the control arm. I ended up putting 45 degree fittings on top and flush mount zerks on the bottom. Still sucks though, just not as bad

#7 ·
I gave up on the slide on fitting, these grease fittings were too damned tight. I put 300lbs of weight in the bed...fixed her right up. The weight in the bed collapsed the suspension enough to use a regular straight grease fitting. This is on the list of my dislikes for this machine.

#8 ·
That's simple I'll get a couple of buddies to sit in the bed, give em a beer and I'll shoot the grease to it. Thanks

#9 ·
I did something a little different. I needed to clean out the trunkbox.. appears a big bag of Doritos exploded in there. LOL Filled the box up with water and got out the grease gun.

If no box, then a rubber kiddie pool to line the bed would work too.

#10 ·
Good idea! ....ok, not the Doritos but the water in the bed.

#12 ·
Absolutely.

#14 ·
so mini grease gun for the front drive shaft works. 300lbs of weight in the bed will allow you to grease the rear upper and lower a arm grease fittings.... what about the rear drive shaft???? what can you get in there?? All that sounds like a piece of cake.... id like to meet the engineer who stuck those there and shake his/her hand and congratulate them.

#16 ·
They have been exactly like this on the Grizzly's for years. You can almost get there......but not quite.

#19 · (Edited)
After giving everybody's trick some thought I tried this this morning and finally got the piss poor designed thing greased. I took my two tie down straps backed over them hooked the hook one each side of bumper, and tightened the hell out of them. You can pull the springs down to fully compressed and this will give access to the fittings.
. The front drive shaft isn't too bad the one in the front console if you turn the grease fitting strait up you can get it but you must remove the center console. I HATE WORKING ON HARD TO GET TO SHIT.

HOPE THIS MAKES YOUR MAINTAINCE A LITTLE EASIER:cool:

Reactions: Deeyoh and chief
#20 ·
Finally got that center u joint greased. Had to buy a mini grease gun then I shave one side of the coupler with the bench grinder. And heated the stem just enough to bend it ever so slightly. And removed the dog house and went from the top,. Now Iv got a 20$ special made grease gun. Just for one damn grease zert.

#21 ·
Dang it......Was Walking thru the big box store today and they had them mini guns on clearance for $8....new I shoulda picked one up.

#22 ·
I was thinking today. Just to detach the a arms, and install some 90 degree zerts. Has anyone done this yet or is there a reason why we can't.

#23 ·
I just realized that the best time for me to grease those is when I put on or remove the tracks as I have to disconnect the lower A-arm to attach a bracket for the tracks. It doesn't take long to undo the lower A-arm at any time as long you have a good floor jack.

#24 ·
Yea that's what I'm thinking. Just detach the a arms and. Install some 90s

#25 ·
I was able to get mine greased this weekend without too much hassle. To get to them all I did was grind a flat on one of my grease gun tips and that gave me room to hit all zerk fittings. I did have to remove the center console (dog house) to get to the rear drive shaft but other than that I didn't have to get to creative to get to the rest.

#27 ·
I had a picture but deleted it last night for some reason... Anyway, I just used a bench grinder and ground one side of the grease fitting tip (on grease gun) flat. So instead of it being round all the way around it has a flat side.

Here is a picture of one just like mine. I ground down the area inside the red box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.