Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I removed tires ,lower shock bolt and lifted A-arm so I could get a straight shot at the fittings.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
300lbs of sand, rocks, cement, someone you don't like, etc...in the bed for a few minutes while you shoot grease in. It compresses the suspension far enough to changed the angle to get it with a straight tip on the grease gun.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
there has been lots of talk about this problem in previous posts if you look under search,i use a 90 degree coupler and seems to work,others have ground the coupler on one side to allow it to fit over the nipple.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Jack up back end Pull top bolts on shocks pull top of shock out, drop Wolverine back down grease fittings cackling back up install shock bolt and go ride

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Has anyone tried 45 deg. grease fittings on the rear and using rubber or nylon washers, if needed, inorder for the grease fitting to tighten up at the correct angle so a grease gun will go on it?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
how about the drive shaft
the front fitting can be accessed on drivers side and the back one is under the front of the airbox,I usually reach down and feel when the nipple is on top under the airbox,then blindly put coupler on nipple using a mini grease gun with lithium grease.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I removed tires ,lower shock bolt and lifted A-arm so I could get a straight shot at the fittings.
. I looked a this ideal, but looks like the shock would just swing out and hit the brake caliper ?., still not allowing the A-arm enough travel up to get a straight shot on the zerts. ?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Yesterday I replaced my upper grease fittings with 45 deg. ones and used a hard nylon washer on the left one so it would tighten up at the correct angle, right upper one did not need the nylon spacer. Now a regular straight grease gun fitting will go on both uppers.

The lower rear grease fittings I was able to use a needle tip (about 6" long) from Tractor Supply on a mini grease gun. It was not a perfectly straight shot to the grease fitting but it was close enough that it took grease. This was with no weight in the bed, with just a little weight in the bed I'm sure it would have been easier.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's good to know

·
Registered
76 Posts
PapaSkeeta, What size are the grease zerks? Are they M6?

edit...nevermind. checked the service manual. The 4 on the rear are indeed M6

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is what I came up with to grease the Wolverine.

For the front driveshaft, if you shine a light in the area where the grease fitting is under the air box, then look thru the parking break boot you can see the u joint. Put the machine on a level surface and roll the machine until the grease fitting is up. Use a straight grease needle, the kind you might use to grease a flush grease fitting. This works well on the front u joint as well.

As for the rear A arms I found these flush M6 style grease fittings and you have to use the 90 degree style grease needle for the flush mount fittings. I have found that you can't use the 45 or 90 degree style grease fittings without them busting off. I found them here https://www.mcmaster.com/#grease-fittings/=16mj7bd item # 2421K31. And the snap in grease tip, item # 2906K93, look here https://www.mcmaster.com/#grease-fittings/=16mj8g2 grease fitting.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dusty, that's interesting! I understand the rear (A-arms) flush grease fitting solution. When you mention the U-joint under the air box, what's the straight grease needle you're referring to? If it's meant to grease a flush style fitting, will it work on the zerk fitting that's stock on the U-joint?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Since your greasing low speed and low load applications any type of grease would serve the purpose. The key is to keep them greased regularly. Because of the exposure to water I use a boat trailer wheel bearing grease in order to have better resistance to water washing out the grease.

It is a shame that Yamaha made it so difficult to get a regular grease gun on the zerks when regular maintenance, including greasing, is so critical to keeping our Wolverines in peak condition.

Reactions: Tracen8r and MORSNO

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Dusty, that's interesting! I understand the rear (A-arms) flush grease fitting solution. When you mention the U-joint under the air box, what's the straight grease needle you're referring to? If it's meant to grease a flush style fitting, will it work on the zerk fitting that's stock on the U-joint?
I think this is the type of grease needle he may be referring to. This is what I use from Tractor Supply. I use it on the regular grease fittings, but it does take a fair amount of pressure keeping it pushed into the hole in the grease zerk to force grease in without it coming out at the grease zerk.
Grease Needle Tractor Supply.png

·
Registered
60 Posts
I usually use a synthetic grease for my outboard and snow machines. Looking through the manual, Yamaha has suggested using a Lithium based grease so I went out and bought a tube of it and a new grease gun for the Lithium grease. At the same time I purchased the same grease needle that papaskeeta shows above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Papaskeeta is correct with the straight style grease needle.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts