Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda curious if any of yall are running a gps on your machine? And if so what brand and what you like/dislike about it

·
Registered
49 Posts
I shelled out the big bucks for the Garmin Zumo 590lm. Everything you could want and more. Water shock and fuel proof. Also added the Garmin state specific HUNT chip. Right down to the hiking trail, water sources and land owner info. A hefty price tag but a lot of info for years to come. ...... $849.00. Also used Ram Mounts for install. Pic will follow soon as I'm almost done with add ons.

·
Super Moderator
468 Posts
I use a Lowrance HDS-5 Gen 2 with Lowrance topo mapping. It works great and has a large screen. Marine grade totally waterproof, permanent mount.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
I use a Lowrance HDS-5 Gen 2 with Lowrance topo mapping. It works great and has a large screen. Marine grade totally waterproof, permanent mount.
That's awesome. You could drive into the lake and find fish too :D haha

·
Super Moderator
468 Posts
Yes, and if I was a little less lazy I could mount the transducer on a float on a pole stuck out in front and use the depth sounder too. LOL

Lowrance makes a gps only unit, HDS-5m, but the standard gps/fishfinder has the same circuitry for the gps and is usually cheaper so that is what I bought, and like you said I can use the fishfinder if I want to.:D

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just use google maps on my iphone. Main problem is lack of signal.

·
Holiday Winner!
131 Posts
iphone with ScenicMap app

Reactions: CDVhunter

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just use google maps on my iphone. Main problem is lack of signal.
I go that route too. You can pre-select your areas and download them while connected to wi-fi to use offline. The satellite images and terrain maps stay available for 28 days or so.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Cell phones do not have real GPS receivers! If they say they do it's BS!!!
They triangulate using cell towers! So if no signal around your screwed!!!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I use viewranger on my blackberry without cel service,as long as I download the area I want to use and works fine,so does the built in compass.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine does. In fact all the droids I've had for the last few years have. I use back country navigator pro and google maps in areas far from any cell towers. Accurate too when compared to known coordinates.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Mine does. In fact all the droids I've had for the last few years have. I use back country navigator pro and google maps in areas far from any cell towers. Accurate too when compared to known coordinates.
Sapper is correct, cell phones do not have a true gps receiver. Phone mapping is better than nothing in some areas, but in true remote areas like where we ride here in Alaska, a gps is required.

Edit: New Smartphones use a GPS chip in conjunction with cell phone towers and Wi-Fi networks—in a process termed "assisted GPS"—to quickly calculate the phone's position. So yes you can use an app, but it many areas it will not work the same.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use a garmin 64s hand held gps and mounted using a RAM mount.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts