Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Good cleaner?

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  danielplace1962 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have been using Simple Green as a cleaner but is there anything anyone else uses that works well to keep the plastics looking good?

#2 ·
Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Car

#4 ·
I just started using it so I can't say how well it works long term, but I recently tried furniture polish similar to Pledge and it shined up the plastics like nothing else! After some research, it is not uncommon for people to use Pledge furniture polish. Based on great reviews, I also bought a can of Maxima SC1. I have not used it yet.

#6 · (Edited)
As someone who previously had an exotic car detail business, I am opinionated and have wayy too many bottles in the garage.. I will say though - simple Green is way too strong to be used at full strength on any regular basis, it will fade things and even leave a light green stain. It's a good degreaser for cleaning tires and other things that are really filthy but as a general rule you only want to use as harsh of a product as you absolutely need to...car wash soap and some pressure (dont go crazy) are your friends. For general plastics, leave the pledge at home.. clean them and coat with 303 Aerospace protectant. It will help keep things from sticking as well as provide some SPF protection from fading. Use 303 on all vinyl seating, dash, etc. For plastic windows and windshields, use Plexus spray. A slightly cheaper alternative available at marine stores is called Klear-to-Sea.
The LE having paint makes sense to use a ceramic sealant, the most recent variants of semi-permanent paint coatings are actually really durable and legit compared to all the treatments car dealers used to sell decades ago. Whether or not the ceramic will hold up on non-painted plastic I am not sure... But I do believe some of the same companies making the coatings also make plastic coating, CQuartz being one of them. Once something is coated it really makes cleanup easy.

#7 ·
Great info thank you! Yeah I have used Simple Green for decades and is a great degreaser, and use it at 25-40:1, but even diluted it does not do well on shiny plastic or paint I've found...good degreaser as you say.

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated!

#8 ·
Several years ago Suzuki came out with a dirt bike wash that was AWESOME!! Turned out it was re-labeled product called M30. Neither are available anymore. I'm guessing (like birdnut said) that because of the harshness of the cleaner, some idiots out there didn't use it correctly and ruined their Audi... and sued. I still have a jug, but save it for tough jobs. I would love to send it somewhere and have it reverse engineered (chem lab) so I could make it!! Anyway,,, Yam-aha has a wash available in a squirt bottle, but haven't tried it yet. The M30 makes the rig look brand new!!!

#9 ·
I use ZEP truck and trailer wash to foam it and pressure wash it and then I use NanoCare Spray Wax on it to bring back the luster. The 22oz bottle product number is 128022, but the one gallon container is 128001. I couldn't find the exact 22oz bottle anywhere, but the one gallon container is a lot better value and easily available. I even dress the tires with it.
Product Dietary supplement Material property Liquid Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

#10 ·
Amsoil has a spray on product called “Mudslinger”. After you wash it just spray it on let it set for 15 minutes and wipe it off, or leave it on. Gives the plastic an extra luster and shine and makes the next cleanup of mud and dirt much easier.

Reactions: Gregger17
#11 ·
On my ATV plastic, I've always had great luck with Plexus. Never tried it on my ATV with a hydrodipped finish, so I'm not sure how it would do on that type of finish, or on paint,but on straight plastic, I really like it. My biggest issue with it is that it's expensive.....my local dealer carries it for $25 for a 13oz can.

#13 ·
i can't remember exactly which ATV/UTV manufacturer it was, but it was either Can-Am/BRP or Polaris said to use pledge in their owners manual.

i use SC1, and normal car wash soaps. I use a good clean stiff bristle brush on the rims, and a mit cloth/sponge on the plastics. Power washer comes in handy at times as well.. I recently got a foam cannon, and i'm not impressed

#14 ·
I throw -THIS- in my foamer and I don't touch a thing with a brush or wash mitt-ever. Power wash, foam, let sit for five minutes, spray off-dry, wax, and admire. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.