Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be there March 24th, 25th and 26th. Might ride a little on Sunday morning the 27th before going home. If you are there that weekend, look for a green Wolvy with a short, fat, old dude sporting goatee and a pony tail. LOL

·
Registered
388 Posts
i went up there right after i got my wolverine, it does well up there, i found some STEEP hills in there and was impressed with how the wolverine went up them.... the suspension will shine in this place at least it did to me bc I'm not used to riding in rocks and mountains and stuff down here so i thought it rode great, also the eps if you have that will pay for itself once you ride on some of those tight twisting hilly trails makes driving it a bit of a breeze have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chief. I went up shortly after I got mine back in the fall, but because of heavy rain, most of the good trails were closed. It handled the ones that were open like a champ. I have been up there many times on an atv, but the wolverine convinced me that I made the right choice to switch.

Reactions: chief

·
Registered
31 Posts
Went to WPG this past weekend only to find it closed,I had always wanted to go to sugar creek multi use trails and they were only 40 miles north of Mena . I must say say I am done with Wolf pen gap. sugar creek is what Wpg was 20 years ago ,trails not the groomed golf cart trails of today with a bridge over every damp spot. Come to speak of it there are no bridges at all!! My wife does not share my enthusiasm for the lack of bridges since she had to put her feet on the dash a few times to stay dry . So check it out it is worth it !

·
Registered
93 Posts
Im guessing all you guys are in Arkansas? I live north of Van Buren , any of you guys ride Fall Creek up by the community of Lee Creek? I ride there alot it's about 15 minutes from my house!

·
Registered
388 Posts
never have I'm from LA but am taking notes on where to ride from listening to yall.... I've only heard of/been to WPG.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am from Louisiana and WPG was always our destination simply because it was closest mountain riding around. It is also the closest for the folks from big cities like D/FW which has driven the commerceralization of the area and the refinement of the trails system.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You guys from LA need to check Mt Magazine state park . They have a beautiful lodge campground and good trails with absolutely breathtaking views ! It would be a weekend trip for you but they have maps of the trails and some of the nicest scenery on this side of the rockies!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't been to Mt. Magazine with the wolvy yet, but I have YouTube'd it previously and it looks like a fun ride. We are planning a trip there this fall with friends. Hopefully we can time it to coincide with the leaves changing. We did Wolf Pen last November and timed it perfectly. The trails were great and the wife just oooo'ed and ahhhh'ed the leaves all weekend.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any of you fellas ride the Fourche Mtn. AR. Multi use trail? It is about 15 min north of WPG.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Any of you fellas ride the Fourche Mtn. AR. Multi use trail? It is about 15 min north of WPG.
Have not rode it , pass it going to a friend of mines cabin by Lake Ouchita where we ride alot, good trails there but got to pay attention where you ride because I have heard you can get a ticket if caught on unmarked trail. A friend of mine that I have rode with says it's a good ride but from what I understood it is a long single trail to top of a mtn. Not sure how long. It is probably more like 30 to 45 minutes from WPG it is right off of hwy 270 marked by a small green sign.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I haven't been to Mt. Magazine with the wolvy yet, but I have YouTube'd it previously and it looks like a fun ride. We are planning a trip there this fall with friends. Hopefully we can time it to coincide with the leaves changing. We did Wolf Pen last November and timed it perfectly. The trails were great and the wife just oooo'ed and ahhhh'ed the leaves all weekend.
You will love Magazine if you like WPG ! Just be sure and book way ahead whether staying in lodge or campground, they both stay pretty booked up especially when the seasons change!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will ride WPG if other places are are not an option or I just want to ride with group that is riding there. Last year a friend and I crusied around on a gas motor golf cart in WPG covering over half of it in a few hours. The trip got me to thinking that either I need to get a less capbile machine or more challenging terrain. I think you should at least half to occasionally lock her in from time to time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are a few challenging places but from looking at the latest map, some have been closed. There is a place on 3 (coming from the east) that takes you up to High Point Vista. Most of it is just rocky, but there is a pretty steep and fairly long hill climb that has, at times, caused me to pucker up. Then there is the 614 loop by the mineshaft that can be tricky for less experienced riders. All 3 of the trails over the mountain from 6 to 8 were pretty hairy, but it looks like you can only get to Hawks Overlook (on 826) from 6 now, the other two are closed. I went over them several times on my rancher, but last time I tried it I thought I was going to die. LOL It looks like the challenging part of 8, on the east end, has also been closed. It wasn't too bad, but last time I took it, it was eroding pretty bad. I just hope they can repair the closed sections without making them too easy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Leaving this afternoon when I leave work at 3. Everything is packed but not loaded. I am so ready to go I can't stand it. I will basically be worthless today at the office. LOL I hope to see some more wolverines. Porkchop401 said he is supposed to be there this weekend, so a meeting might take place on the trails. WOOHOO, I am FIRED UP!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A rest stop at High Point Vista.

Wolverine-Highpoint.JPG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We always stay at Coyote Canyon campground. Melissa has full hookups as well as some cabins and a bunkhouse. You could easily stay a week and not see everything. The WPG trail system isn't all there is to ride. You can ride a lot of the county roads and get to a couple of water falls, and there is an overlook at a radio tower on top of a mountain. You can also take the county roads over to fourche mountain trails. There is the Blue Hole, which is an old quarry that has filled with clear blue water. There are a couple of other places on the map that I haven't been to yet.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I went to the blue hole following a group of people and it was about a thousand turns but it was worth it it wasn't easy to get to imo some rough trails with big rocks... we stayed at black bear cabins when I went up there they were really nice and people there were really nice and you could ride from there to the WPG on your bike no problem and like someone said above all the county roads are legal to ride so you can get to the water fall deal they have maps at those cabins that kinda show you how to get around they were hard to read but get a map talk to people in groups and between those two methods you can find some cool stuff to go ride to and see.. I HIGHLY recommend black bear cabins.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts