Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's supposed to brush 60 degrees here in Michigan this weekend. 60 in nearly mid December is unbelievable. I'll take as much of this global warming as I can get. Glad I opted for SxS and not a snowmobile.

So anyways, buddy and I are going on our maiden ride with our new machines. Not doing anything very hard core. Just going to run some forest service and county seasonal roads. I want to go easy until she's broke in.

·
Banned
420 Posts
It didn't happen if no pics.

Reactions: atkbike

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well first off, got nowhere near 60. More like 40 and on/off drizzle. Gotta love weathermen. We got 60+ miles in. We rode primarily on Camp Grayling (MI nat'l guard training grounds). We also hit a bunch of seasonal county roads. Lot of the ride was mellow through the woods except for the rollover (more on that in a bit). We did play in a sand bowl with some nice hills & some tight twisty trails.

The rollover: I was following my buddy and we were on a lengthy run that was very hilly with some tight turns mixed in. He had gotten a ways ahead of me so I was pushing pretty hard. I came hard into a blind corner that was soft sand and rutted quite a bit. As we (my 22 yr old son was riding with me) were carving the corner something caught and all heck broke loose. We still can't quite put together how we it all transpired. Both sides of machine show signs of dragging dirt. We ended up on the drivers side. Spartacus (my new nickname for the wolverine) received minimal damage. There is a small split in the top of the roof. Near as I can tell no tweaks in the cage. The ground was very soft.

Our bodies didn't fare quite as well. As I said we landed on drivers side. My left hand was pinned between the cage and ground. I finally managed to pull my hand free so I could get unbuckled. No easy task as I'm 6'5" and 380. Quarters are a bit tight. Once I managed to climb out I had to get my son freed. He was hanging by his belt and he is no small boy either. He goes 6'6" and about 230. He was finally able to brace himself to get the weight off the belt so I could release him.

After the adrenaline flow slowed my left leg thigh was hurting badly. It is currently very swollen and extremely sore. I am also feeling pretty good pain in my right calf and hip. My son's left hand is swollen significantly. My wife the nurse has us under observation and hasn't recommended seeking treatment yet.

Worse part....in the heat of the moment no pics were snapped. We were more concerned with locating our gear. We had cell phones, gps, tool boxes, tow straps, and spare tire strewn everywhere.

This is a pic taken on the camp grayling perimeter. Make sure you zoom into read the sign in the background. I have a couple video clips to upload when we get done streaming the basketball game.
image.jpeg

·
Banned
420 Posts
Well I hope you both are ok. Beat dem gators.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Well just glad nobody got seriously hurt. Other than that sounds like you had a good day

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Video uploaded

Finally got video uploaded. Hard to capture grade on video but these sand hills are steeper than they appear

·
Banned
420 Posts
Cool. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ITP hurricane Wheels

ITP Blackwater Evolution Tires 27 x 14x 11
27 x 14x 9 front

I recommend these tires highly nothing but traction and excellent trail thread pattern.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to my buddies yesterday to take my roof off to get the crack from the rollover incident welded. That part went well and it looks pretty good.

While we were looking the macine over I noticed something that I think may have contributed to the rollover. Both tires on the passenger side had grass and debris wedged between tire and rim. I think as I took the corner the stock tires rolled over on me. They were pumped up to 12 psi so I don't think under inflation was an issue.

I had new STI Outbacks ordered but I got laid off so I had to cancel the order.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts