Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running GMRS mobile mounted in their rigs?

Currently we carry a handheld GMRS portable to monitor off road Ch16.

FCC Licence was a cheap date for only $35 / 10 years.

We also have a MURS portable for friends so they can talk to us on our Garmin Tread MURS Group radio.

Thinking about mounting a fixed GMRS unit in the rig but there are a lot of options (power, brand, etc).

· Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
1,225 Posts
In the past we used hand held FRS from Midland. Ear buds and lapel mics. Ear plug in other ear to help control noise. Worked for us but we're never far from each other. Also works great when we are spotting while we're navigating technical terrain. I installed a Midland MTX275 in RMAX after Christmas. Plugs into cigarette lighter plug and has a usb-C outlet so I can charge phone or tablet while I ride. It's pretty sweet. I bought the stubby antenna and mounted it just below the roofline to avoid branches. Lots of them in North Cumberland. One of the guys on the forum helped me figure out the speaker in the mic. It's great for the noisy cab of the Rmax. I would buy it again.

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the past we used hand held FRS from Midland. Ear buds and lapel mics. Ear plug in other ear to help control noise. Worked for us but we're never far from each other. Also works great when we are spotting while we're navigating technical terrain. I installed a Midland MTX275 in RMAX after Christmas. Plugs into cigarette lighter plug and has a usb-C outlet so I can charge phone or tablet while I ride. It's pretty sweet. I bought the stubby antenna and mounted it just below the roofline to avoid branches. Lots of them in North Cumberland. One of the guys on the forum helped me figure out the speaker in the mic. It's great for the noisy cab of the Rmax. I would buy it again.
Thanks Madcap,
I was looking at the MXT275 and it looks like a good option.
Is there a trick to control the volume from the speaker in the mic?
I was hoping to avoid installing an external speaker.

· Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
1,225 Posts
Thanks Madcap,
I was looking at the MXT275 and it looks like a good option.
Is there a trick to control the volume from the speaker in the mic?
I was hoping to avoid installing an external speaker.
Volume controls are on the mic and very easy to operate. What was difficult for me to operate was the micro manual with the instructions. 🤣
The unit can be set up for base unit speaker, microphone speaker or both. With both selected i do not have the need for the external speaker although I was about to by it when someone pointed me to the options in the manual to turn on the mic speaker

· Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
1,225 Posts
Mounted it in existing holes in roof. Not an electronic type of guy so not sure about "metal ground plane" but it works fantastic how it is. The magnetic ones are insulated by a rubber protective pad as well. Maybe the grounding is through the cable back the unit. Sorry someone above my pay grade will have to answer that one.

Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Hood Cloud Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire

· Registered
358 Posts
Here's how I mounted my MXT275 stubby antenna. This style of mobile antenna doesn't need a large ground plane. I splurged for a nice adjustable mount. The midland rollbar mount that comes in the combo kit isn't bad but wasn't compatible with where I wanted to mount it on the center rear crossbar. Stuck out too much for my rear mesh window. Worked great before I put the mesh on though.
Automotive design Material property Cameras & optics Camera accessory Auto part

· Registered
358 Posts
Handset location on my X4. The double sided tape that comes with the mxt275 handset mount failed on me and even the good 3M tape I replaced it with eventually fell off from heat. I screwed it into the dash for permanence. I keep my base unit velcroed under my seat and plugged into the rear 12v. That may not be an ideal location for those that ford rivers and swamps, but works great for me in the desert. I know some like to mount the base unit up high on the front rollbar which is a great alternative. I just pull out the unit when I wash the interior.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Automotive design Gear shift
Peripheral Gadget Audio equipment Font Input device

· Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Take the mic apart and remove the lead weights in it and it won't cause near as much force on the plastic mic holder, or if you drop it, no damage done due to how light it is without the weights, (they just lift out, are usually (2) sort of kidney bean shaped about 1/4" thick). The lead weights serve no purpose except to make you think that you have something of high quality, because without the weights in the mic it weighs nearly nothing in comparison.

· Registered
358 Posts
Take the mic apart and remove the lead weights in it and it won't cause near as much force on the plastic mic holder, or if you drop it, no damage done due to how light it is without the weights, (they just lift out, are usually (2) sort of kidney bean shaped about 1/4" thick). The lead weights serve no person except to make you think that you have something of high quality, because without the weights in the mic it weighs nearly nothing in comparison.
Good call, I solved the problem but this advice would surely prevent the tape integrity issue. The handset does indeed have some heft.

· Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
1,225 Posts
Placed mine at the bottom of the console with base unit speaker facing out. It's a lot louder that way. Also wanted it close to my tablet to use USB-C for charging and near the cig- lighter port. I did not hard wire because I wanted it to be easy to unplug and remove everything for cleaning. It comes out in under a minute. Antenna cable goes out stereo plug with hole drilled in rubber plug for water tight fit around cable.
Works for me!
Agree.... the tape on the mic holder is useless. I'm gonna try alien tape before I drill but I anticipate drilling in the future. We ride some entertaining terrain so I'm sure it will need extra security. 🤣

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
1,225 Posts
Take the mic apart and remove the lead weights in it and it won't cause near as much force on the plastic mic holder, or if you drop it, no damage done due to how light it is without the weights, (they just lift out, are usually (2) sort of kidney bean shaped about 1/4" thick). The lead weights serve no person except to make you think that you have something of high quality, because without the weights in the mic it weighs nearly nothing in comparison.
Good Intel Papaskeeta. I learn something new here every day! Kudos!

· Premium Member
1,176 Posts
After about a year and 1,500 miles my plastic mic holder would not hold the mic in the clip because the plastic button in the holder had worn down and the mic would bounce out sometimes. I replaced the plastic mic holder with a chrome plated metal holder I found on Amazon, 2 of them for about $9.00, huge difference in quality compared to the cheap plastic holder.

This was at the same time that I removed the lead weights in the mic. Best thing I did from a practicality standpoint. It will surprise you that all of the micro electronics in the mic could fit in a 1'' square and the rest of the mic is just for show and ergonomics. I'm using the Midland MXT115, but pretty much all of the inexpensive mics are the same. If you have a speaker in the mic then that magnet will add a little more weight to it.

· Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Here is the Amazon link to the mic holder I bought that fit the Midland mic.

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's how I mounted my loudspeaker (zip tied to the rollbar crossmember) right near my head because I'm a half deaf artilleryman and need all the decibels. View attachment 109027
Great idea.

I am a half deaf RTO (probably from listening to the attached 1st LT I used to wander around attached to)😜

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Handset location on my X4. The double sided tape that comes with the mxt275 handset mount failed on me and even the good L3 tape I replaced it with eventually fell off from heat. I screwed it into the dash for permanence. I keep my base unit velcroed under my seat and plugged into the rear 12v. That may not be an ideal location for those that ford rivers and swamps, but works great for me in the desert. I know some like to mount the base unit up high on the front rollbar which is a great alternative. I just pull out the unit when I wash the interior. View attachment 109028 View attachment 109029
Great idea. I think I could then wire the power to the 2nd battery install under the seat and then use a shorter piece of cable to the antenna.

These radios is about 1/20 the size of the ANPRC 510 I used to lug around.. ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts