Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my glove box lid will pop open randomly while riding hard, and the latch doesn't stay shut well at all. Anyone else having the same problem or know of a fix?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Before I bought mine I rented 1 for a day and it had the same problem where if anything was in the glove box the door would open when riding on rough trails. Haven't studied it yet for a solution since mine hasn't done it yet. Let us know if you find a good solution.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Drill a snap on the outside of the box and on the dash. Get a piece of elastic band and put the mating snap on the band. Now you can snap it shut. Every SXS I have had the glove box doesn't stay shot.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
LMAO I thought I was the only one with this issue...I'll see if I have a pic on my phone, if not I will take one tonight and post it up. The whole factory latch setup is a cheap piece of shit and Yamaha should be ashamed to put their name on it. Either way, I took a heavy duty truck hood latch, the rubber ones you see on big rigs, and mounted from top down. It works pretty well, but is ugly as hell. It's all I could find at the time, and I needed a solution fast, so it's what I used.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yamaha used to sell a locking lid for the Viking, I wonder if it would fit the wolverine?

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I have looked extensively, but cannot find a parts diagram with the glove box area in it. The part number also does not seem to be valid any more when looking on current oem parts websites. I wonder if they don't make it anymore because there were issues with it staying shut lol.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Viking and Wolvy use the same lid 1XD-F160F-00-00 and lock mechanism. But...I dont know if the locking lid would fix the problem or you would still be able to open it buy popping it down like I did in the video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been following this forum for quite some time, and decided that this topic was the perfect reason to join. I HATE the glove box in the Wolverine! Mine pops open, as well, with very little effort and this is simply unacceptable. If anyone from the Yamaha design team follows this forum, this should be the subject of a recall. It's not just annoying, it's a safety issue. Objects can easily fly out of the glove box and strike the passenger, let alone distract the driver when his or her attention should be on the road.

While we're on the topic of the glove box, I'm finding it really hard to picture in my mind the precise moment when a bunch of rational people sat around a board room and decided it was a good idea to leave off a 15 cent rubber gasket to seal the box. Surely, someone would have said, "But won't water get in?", to which someone replied, "Well, let's just drill a hole in the box; you know, right where the front tire splashes into the wheel well." Like I said, I just can't picture it - but it happened! And don't get me started on the holes in the storage bins in the console and space in the dash above the cup holders.

Also (and finally), on the subject of the glove box: if you look at it from the wheel well side, under the dash, you can see that there was enough space to easily make the inside dimensions at least 2 inches larger in every direction! It just seems a little lazy to me, that's all.

There, my rant is over! I feel better now that I got that off my chest.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been following this forum for quite some time, and decided that this topic was the perfect reason to join. I HATE the glove box in the Wolverine! Mine pops open, as well, with very little effort and this is simply unacceptable. If anyone from the Yamaha design team follows this forum, this should be the subject of a recall. It's not just annoying, it's a safety issue. Objects can easily fly out of the glove box and strike the passenger, let alone distract the driver when his or her attention should be on the road.

While we're on the topic of the glove box, I'm finding it really hard to picture in my mind the precise moment when a bunch of rational people sat around a board room and decided it was a good idea to leave off a 15 cent rubber gasket to seal the box. Surely, someone would have said, "But won't water get in?", to which someone replied, "Well, let's just drill a hole in the box; you know, right where the front tire splashes into the wheel well." Like I said, I just can't picture it - but it happened! And don't get me started on the holes in the storage bins in the console and space in the dash above the cup holders.

Also (and finally), on the subject of the glove box: if you look at it from the wheel well side, under the dash, you can see that there was enough space to easily make the inside dimensions at least 2 inches larger in every direction! It just seems a little lazy to me, that's all.

There, my rant is over! I feel better now that I got that off my chest.
Good points! Can't figure why they did that either. Also the middle console cover should have been made a millimeter or two thicker. Hopefully Yamaha will look at the rants and raves when designing the Wolverine 2.0. It would just make a great machine better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Should be able to fashion a gasket and use some silicone to plug the holes, or maybe run a true drain with a check valve.

Agree, Yamaha should provide a working latch system.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've never had any problems with my latch and I sealed up the bottom with some plastic glued in the holes by the hinges and a bolt with some silicone through the hole in the bottom corner.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,421 Posts
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only Wolvie owner that has a glove box that doesn't keep water out. :mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts