Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mornin'! Getting ready to pull the trigger on a windshield for the front of my '23 RMAX2. Trying to decide whether I should go with glass or the anti-scratch polycarbonate. My concern with glass is...what happens in a rollover? Will it shatter? Hopefully I'll never have to find out, but I'm told it's not a matter of "if", but "when"...sort of like laying down a motorcycle. Regarding the "scratch-resistant polycarbonate" - is it really scratch resistant? Just want to see what your all's experience with either one.

Thanks!

Tim

· Registered
5,033 Posts
Regarding the "scratch-resistant polycarbonate" - is it really scratch resistant?
Its is scratch resistant but not scratch proof. Mines taken a lot wacks from tree limbs and so far I can't see any scratches. The main thing is how you clean or keep them clean. Always use plenty of water and soap and wipe up and down or left to right. Never wipe in a circle.

I believe the glass is safety laminated so I don't think it will shatter and put pieces of glass all over your in the event of a roll over or crash.

· Registered
'21 Max4, Full Poly Windshield, Custom Soft Top, Badlands 5000# Winch,
122 Posts
I use scratch resistant polycarb. As 'Rebel mentioned they take a good licking and you dont have to worry about it landing in your lap. Cleaning it out on the trail is kind of nuisance. I carry plenty of micro fiber rags and spray bottle filled with water. so when we take "Soda" stops ill spray the windshield and wipe the windshield in a wiping/rolling action so the dust it collects doesn't rub across the poly. (if that makes sense o_O)

· Registered
469 Posts
Poly are great if you plan on taking the time to clean and take care of them. I wax mine and have one on each machine with very few scratches. I carry a sprayer on the trails to rinse it off and plenty of microfiber towels.

· Registered
2022 RMAX4 XTR, Freedom UTV Glass windshield, Trail Armor UHMW Skids and A Arm Guards
899 Posts
Glass for me no question. This is the first glass I’ve had and I used every form of poly for the previous 15 years. All will get micro scratches it’s just how long will it take. It’s amazing to be able to clean mud or whatever off with whatever you have. The big advantage poly once had was being much less expensive but in today’s market if you shop around and don’t get OEM there’s not a very big difference now when comparing quality products in glass and poly. Glass is still typically a little more expensive and will almost certainly be heavier but again not by a huge amount in either category. Laminated safety glass is used by virtually all reputable manufacturers now days so it’s the same material as car windshields. As a paramedic of 25 years now I’ve literally been to hundreds of rollovers both car and utv as our service area covers Brimstone Recreation and parts of Royal Blue and I have rarely seen a car windshield become displaced from a rollover and typically only minor to moderate damage to it. I have yet to see one displaced in a UTV crash. The last upside to glass I’ll bring up is replacing the windshield when something does happen. My local body shop contacted their glass supplier and they said they could cut a new piece of glass and my local shop could have it installed for under $115 if I were to chip or break it. With poly you will replace it at some point and it’s a whole new purchase. Poly does have the advantage of more designs available. If choosing glass then a few things to consider, I’d recommend one that has a wrap around the ROP design to the metal frame, and yes I’d prefer a glass windshield with a metal frame. In off camber situations the ROP’s often strike rocks or trees and anything, glass or poly, that goes to the edge is susceptible to breaking from the impact. Also get a glass windshield with venting. Lastly make sure install is either a few simple bolts or one that utilizes the quick clamp system Yamaha has for ease of removal if desired. Then regardless of what you buy for the front get one for the rear. The relatively lower pressure behind the windshield sucks lots of dust in from behind without a rear windshield. @MassiveOverkill has some very informative videos on the topic on his YouTube channel. Here are links to what I chose and whatever you decide on good luck and post pics 👍

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Mornin'! Getting ready to pull the trigger on a windshield for the front of my '23 RMAX2. Trying to decide whether I should go with glass or the anti-scratch polycarbonate. My concern with glass is...what happens in a rollover? Will it shatter? Hopefully I'll never have to find out, but I'm told it's not a matter of "if", but "when"...sort of like laying down a motorcycle. Regarding the "scratch-resistant polycarbonate" - is it really scratch resistant? Just want to see what your all's experience with either one.

Thanks!

Tim
I would say it depends on your expected riding style.
Poly for more sever off-roading and glass for trail easier riding. poly is quite a bit stronger than glass, but glass is more expensive and and doesn't scratch as easily.

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Another vote for hard coated polycarbonate. I've had them on both my X2 and RMAX. They have taken a serious beating from tree branches. I have a windshield wiper also. I never touch or use my wiper on a dry windshield. I've used my wiper to clear my windshield numerous times when it's been plastered with mud and dirty water. Thousands of miles and still looks like new. I can't believe how they stand up.

· Registered
2022 RMAX4 XTR, Freedom UTV Glass windshield, Trail Armor UHMW Skids and A Arm Guards
899 Posts
I can assure you glass has no issues in severe riding environments. Ultimately it’s just a personal preference and after 15 years of poly I prefer not to have poly lol. Both will serve you well and you’ll find your own likes and dislikes with whichever you decide on. So far over a year in and I haven’t found a downside to glass yet.

· Registered
2022 RMAX2 XTR
88 Posts
Another vote for glass. My rear window is plastic and has several small scratches from normal use. My glass front window gets whacked by branches/brush daily and has none. I don't see the downside to glass.

· Registered
2021 Rmax 2 LE
2 Posts
I really like the OEM poly windshield that folds down. Very nice for those warm days on the trail. I have no problems with scratches. I clean it with soap and water when we get home and then apply a product called Plexus which is specifically designed for plastic. I even take a can on the trail along with some microfiber towels to keep the windshield clean.
Plexus Plastic Cleaner

· Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm on a glass windshield on the KRX, my first. I've had it two years now. Well, I've had glass two years now... I smacked a low hanging tree limb and cracked the heck out of the first one. It's possible hard-coated polycarbonate wouldn't have sustained the same amount of damage. I'm on the second glass one now. I really like the clarity and not having to worry about scratching it when its covered in mud on the trail.

The main reason I'm posting this - I learned that any glass shop can replace any windshield if it is NOT curved. So if you do a glass windshield, look for one that's flat and you'll easily be able to use a local glass shop for replacements.

· Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
1,225 Posts
Glass for me no question. This is the first glass I’ve had and I used every form of poly for the previous 15 years. All will get micro scratches it’s just how long will it take. It’s amazing to be able to clean mud or whatever off with whatever you have. The big advantage poly once had was being much less expensive but in today’s market if you shop around and don’t get OEM there’s not a very big difference now when comparing quality products in glass and poly. Glass is still typically a little more expensive and will almost certainly be heavier but again not by a huge amount in either category. Laminated safety glass is used by virtually all reputable manufacturers now days so it’s the same material and car windshields. As a paramedic if 25 years now I’ve literally been to hundred rollovers both car and utv as our service area covers Brimstone Recreation and parts of Royal Blue and I have rarely seen a car windshield become displaced from a rollover and typically only minor to moderate damage to it. I have yet to see one displaced in a UTV crash. The last upside to glass I’ll bring up is replacing the windshield when something does happen. My local body shop contacted their glass supplier and they said they could cut a new piece of glass and my local shop could have it installed for under $115 if I were to chip or break it. With poly you will replace it at some point and it’s a whole new purchase. Poly does have the advantage of more designs available. If choosing glass then a few things to consider, I’d recommend one that has a war AP around the ROP design to the metal frame, and yes I’d prefer a glass windshield with a metal frame. I’m off camber situations the ROP’s often strike rocks or trees and anything, glass or poly, that goes to the edge is susceptible to breaking from the impact. Also get a glass windshield with venting. Lastly make sure install is either a few simple bolts or one that utilizes the quick clamp system Yamaha has for ease of removal if desired. Then regardless of what you buy for the front get one for the rear. The relatively lower pressure behind the windshield sucks lots of dust in from behind without a rear windshield. @MassiveOverkill has some very informative videos on the topic on his YouTube channel. Here are links to what I chose and whatever you decide on good luck and post pics 👍

Well there you have it! Dang Crow..... that review makes me wanna throw my poly in the trash and buy glass. Nice review! If they made a flip up glass, I would be 100% in AT ANY COST. I love the versatility of my SATV flip up poly....BUT.... it does have a ton of micro scratches. At times when the sun is just right, I can't see a thing! LITERALLY!
I love the cool air with it flipped up in the summer. It's only okay in the winter. And rain is a total PITA.....a wiper will scratch it. It works for me for now. I totally love the versatility but I will replace it with glass when it's finished.

· Registered
899 Posts
Well there you have it! Dang Crow..... that review makes me wanna throw my poly in the trash and buy glass. Nice review! If they made a flip up glass, I would be 100% in AT ANY COST. I love the versatility of my SATV flip up poly....BUT.... it does have a ton of micro scratches. At times when the sun is just right, I can't see a thing! LITERALLY!
I love the cool air with it flipped up in the summer. It's only okay in the winter. And rain is a total PITA.....a wiper will scratch it. It works for me for now. I totally love the versatility but I will replace it with glass when it's finished.
Even new certain sun angles will make poly look just like a big oil slick rainbow that’s impossible to see through. Just the nature of the material.

· Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
1,225 Posts
Ya.... it helps but I usually just flip it up till I'm around the corner and the suns at a different angle.
I'm not bashing my flip up.....I love it and have praised the versatility that I need so often in the ever changing climate I ride in. Again if they made it in glass I would buy it at almost any price.

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Wolverine x4 Hunter Edition
54 Posts
SATV flip up on mine for almost 3 years. I did install a manual wiper by step bitting the top center hole in the bracket. I use rain x for plastics about once a year , but that's it for detail polishing. The windshield gets the same 50/50 simple green and water, soak (out of direct sunlight if possible), and a 1500 psi pressure wash the rest of the machine gets after each ride. I have one scratch from a small rock that inadvertently got in the wiper one ride awhile back. I use Honda polish on the whole vehicle and some overspray does get on the windshield, no film or damage. I use only micro fiber towels on everything when drying and polishing. Our RZR has a Rayfab dot glass windshield, manual wiper, and lower flip up vents. You can see fine scratches from the wiper in the glass surface telling me the previous owner used the wiper to clear heaving muddy water off during riding. If I had to do it again I'd spend the extra on glass for our x4, probably the alpha since its removable with quick release clamps and will mount to the rear of the cage.

Reactions: RugbyRef and Sid

· Registered
5,033 Posts
Ya.... it helps but I usually just flip it up till I'm around the corner and the suns at a different angle.
I'm not bashing my flip up.....I love it and have praised the versatility that I need so often in the ever changing climate I ride in. Again if they made it in glass I would buy it at almost any price.
Same with flip down. I love the versatility. Fall through spring you never know what the weather is going to do. Summer time it comes completely off for as much air flow as possible.

If I got glass, I'd probably lightly tint it.

· Registered
2022 Yamaha RMax4 LE
248 Posts
I got glass for the clarity and ease of cleaning. I’ve had several branch and rock strikes, and have bumped the ROPS off rocks a couple of times, but no problems so far. I have the USA glass windshield, vented w/ manual wipers. I really like the idea of some of the poly designs that can’t be had in glass, but I dislike the amount of care and cleaning. There’s some compromise either way you decide. After taking a windshield full of mud, I like that I can use the wiper and keep going. Sometimes I have to splash a little water on it for the sticky stuff, but I don’t have to stop and get out any special items for it. A flip windshield would be a nice option to have sometimes though.

· Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,681 Posts
Glass all the way. I ran poly for years and even brought my RMAX home with the OEM poly but decided to try glass anyway. Let me tell ya. I'll hever go back.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts