Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally was able to get out yesterday and when I was loading up to come home I heard a hissing coming from my right front tire. After cleaning it up I found like 5 small rocks stuck between the wheel and tire cauing air to leak out.

Anyone know anything I can do to prevent this? I'm running original big horns at 12 psi. First time this has happened to me while out mudding.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Better tires with stronger sidewalls. Those OEM tires have no sidewall strength.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Finally was able to get out yesterday and when I was loading up to come home I heard a hissing coming from my right front tire. After cleaning it up I found like 5 small rocks stuck between the wheel and tire cauing air to leak out.

Anyone know anything I can do to prevent this? I'm running original big horns at 12 psi. First time this has happened to me while out mudding.
Are you on stock rims? What is the width and height of the new tires? If the tread width is on the conservative side(narrow) you will experience this issue more often than with wider tires. Also, some brands have "rim protectors" that may not protect the rims much, but do help prevent the rocks from getting wedged in there. A lot of this has to do with the particular situation. I have had it happen on stock tire a bazillion times lol, but very few times with aftermarket. FWIW Roadymi was on the right track, even though he thought you had OEMs still. The BH's you are running are only 6-ply rated correct? A stiffer sidewall, like the 8-ply's I run would help prevent the wall rolling over on the rim, which is usually how the rocks get in there to begin with.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Running STI 14x7 wheels and a 26x9x14 on the front.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Those 14" wheels are giving you less tire sidewall putting the bead closer to the ground than a 12" would provide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts