Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Have about 140 miles on my new XT-R and will soon be changing the oil per the "break in" mileage recommendation.
I'd really like to change the oil myself for this break in oil change since I don't have any other maintenance to do.

Has anybody changed their oil themselves who can shed some light on do's and don'ts as well as any insights that make it easier.
I didn't notice the underbelly protection is welded on and it seems to get to the oil filter you may have to take off the driver's side wheel well mud flap for easier access to the oil filter, but I'll let those of you who have done this chime in.

Thanks

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
Reactions: elliswyatt

·
Registered
153 Posts
Massive's tutorial is pretty much all you need to know. In fact, since you inevitably will find yourself drawn to all sorts of mods and "improvements," best to just comb through here for all of Massive's posts and save yourself a lot of trial and error frustration. Anything you might be thinking about he's probably already done. Where does he find the time. Don't know why his wife hasn't left him.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Massive's tutorial is pretty much all you need to know. In fact, since you inevitably will find yourself drawn to all sorts of mods and "improvements," best to just comb through here for all of Massive's posts and save yourself a lot of trial and error frustration. Anything you might be thinking about he's probably already done. Where does he find the time. Don't know why his wife hasn't left him.
He's the man.
My brother is like him I'm sure. A guy's guy that can and does do just about anything you need them to do.
Smart women don't leave those types of guys, if nothing else, they're good to have around. LOL

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I also used MO's instructions. I'm nearing my third time.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 R Spec Special Edition in Tactical Black
28 Posts
This weekend I upgraded all the fluids in my machine to synthetics. Transmission, final and differentials to Amsoil 80w 90 severe gear and for the engine Yamalube 15w 50 performance synthetic and OEM filter (to maintain the yamalube warranty on the motor). Watched a few videos and referred to massive's instructive posts... love the info on this forum SO helpful!!! Thanks everyone

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been changing my own, followed Massive's guide the first time around.

On my most recent change I was tight for time before leaving on a trip. I was able to swap the oil filter without taking the fender panel off (on an X2). You have to be careful not about dirt/dust contamination, but it saves a ton of time. Is anyone else doing this?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think its much easier removing the panel then using a oil filter wrench end cap. Then I follow the manual to a T adding the ~2.5qts start up and run then add the last qt. I fill to 3.5qts max with oil filter.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The first time I took off the inner fender it was a pain, just because of not knowing how. The second time it was much easier. Then 3-4-5 times, its super easy now. I replaced those two plastic push pins with screws & nuts. I didn't know it was possible to remove the oil filter without taking it off!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts