Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have a question about the reverse gear in the transmission on the Gen 1 Wolverine. Does it have a reverse chain like the Polaris's usually break? Or is it and actual gear like the forward gears?

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,455 Posts
No chain, gear drive in the transmission via shafts to the diff's/

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to hear. I am kind of blown away that Polaris would use a chain in their high horsepower machines.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,455 Posts
I tried to create a pdf of the tranny and rear but the doc is print protected of so I am getting a error to that. If you want I can post an image file of them.

Chain in any drive is bad news if the snap you're stuck and stranded.

I've attached the images that clarify these two area's. There is something about a middle gear. I am not sure what its all about but no chains shown nor expected on this. I doubt any of this is changed in the x2 builds either.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Tripplec, but I looked it up on the OEM parts now. Back to the Polaris's ( and maybe other makes ), I guess guys are snapping them a lot trying to reverse out of a mud hole or up an incline. What a terrible design! Here's your $28,000 Turbo S with a reverse chain! LOL

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,455 Posts
Ok, few ATV's use a chain. Only sports 2WD ones I have seen (don't like them, noisy hot rods!)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I just went onto the OEM parts pages for the Rangers and Rzr's and all of them have a chain for the reverse gear. Another reason the Polaris's are broke down on the trail.

Reactions: Tripplec and Budro2

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Us old timer Yamaha ATV guys have been saying this for years, Yamaha builds a solid machine, Polaris builds sporty machines that are non-stop maintenance nightmares. Look at the square tubing a-arms, no bushings to be found just bolts through a round pipe with a grease zerk (ya that'll hold grease and last for years.....), sloppy fit everywhere, chains, etc, but it looks cool! I've had 3 Polaris snowmobiles, I know about the maintenance required to keep it together and drivable (never had an engine problem though). Polaris depends on its customer to do all the research and development to keep things around for more than a couple years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts