Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just need to get out. Temp -2. This thing is so much fun. IMG_1408.jpg IMG_1409.jpg IMG_1410.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
I must really be a puss because it's hard for me to get motivated to ride when it gets under 40. Although riding on frozen water sounds awesome.

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were out for about 4-5 hours with a stop at the restaurant. Took some video but can't upload them.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
wish i could get on the ice. been to warm not enough ice for me to take the buggy out there yet. 5" ice not enough for me.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I must really be a puss because it's hard for me to get motivated to ride when it gets under 40. Although riding on frozen water sounds awesome.
I think it's all about what your body acclimates to. In the fall / early winter 30 feels cold. By early spring when I've been through weeks / months of teens to sub zero temps, I'm going out in 30 degree temps without a jacket on. People up here (not me) spend upwards of $10K for a snowmobile hoping they will get 2-3 months of riding season. We don't get the snow we used to. They will ride at any temp if there is snow. I am way more protected in my wolverine even with just the wind deflector than they are.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
got out of snow machines because we don't get the snow we used to. right now here at my house we may have 5" on the ground. we usually have more then 2' by now. same goes with ice this year. coldest i ever road in with the sled was -36. way to cold sleds barely started. but we were headed back home last leg of our trip around gaspy bay.

Reactions: Marley

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, as a fellow Minnesotan, how does the wind deflector treat you when it's only 0 degrees? One of the primary reasons I'm looking at a Wolverine is for ice fishing and keeping my kids a little warmer than hanging off the back of my Grizzly. Do you need a wind shield or is it tolerable with the deflector? What lake are the pictures from?

·
Registered
207 Posts
That looks fun as hell. Unfortunately not much snow in AZ. Just tons of rocks and sand. And hot as hell

·
Banned
420 Posts
This was this morning probably 6-7 inches on the ground. We now have 14-18 inches.

image.jpeg

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Registered
51 Posts
I People up here (not me) spend upwards of $10K for a snowmobile hoping they will get 2-3 months of riding season. We don't get the snow we used to. They will ride at any temp if there is snow..
A new mountain sled up here is $16k plus...but there is at least 4-5 months of good riding. Check out Fernie Alpine Resort or Island Lake Cat Skiing.

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, as a fellow Minnesotan, how does the wind deflector treat you when it's only 0 degrees? One of the primary reasons I'm looking at a Wolverine is for ice fishing and keeping my kids a little warmer than hanging off the back of my Grizzly. Do you need a wind shield or is it tolerable with the deflector? What lake are the pictures from?
I have the front windshield and the rear plastic shield. I was wearing uninsulated carhart coveralls, a tshirt with a sweatshirt over it, hat and work gloves. I never got real cold, just chilled. I could have stayed out all night. Normally i would wear more or better gear but if things got too cold i could go to the bar and warm up. It really was very tolerable with that set up. Not sure about a deflector with a rear shield, may not work so well. We were out on Prior Lake.

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Banned
420 Posts
Haven't been out in the 14-18 yet. Maybe today.

·
Banned
420 Posts
At least 18" now. No problem. No speed records for sure but it chugged along fine. Hills are a little tough but never got stuck. Also this was all on unplowed roads in our subdivision with me making the virgin tracks most places.

Reactions: atkbike

·
Banned
420 Posts
Correction I did go up one offroad hill.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I haven't had snow too high to go through yet with the OEM tires. Quite amazed actually.
Dealer said 2 foot is about the limit then...buy a sled - or get tracks.

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the video working. Lake donuts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts