Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a grease leak today on my new machine. Driver side front shaft. Anyone had an issue like this? After 111 miles in 12.5 hours.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the bushing(??) is pulling out of the wheel assembly it sticks out at the top about 1/16" and not at the bottom.

Sorry for my lack of terminology fellas I am not much of a mechanic..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know from atv picking that piece is filled with bearings and grease, have you been doing any hard rock crawling or recall striking that tire hard on rocks or stumps?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, did not hit anything out of the ordinary or that I would remember. There is one section of trail about 1/2 mile I was on that has alot of rock and tight turns but that was it. Going to take t
it to the dealer and let them check it out and fix it. 1 week old. 111 miles and 12.5 hours. Stuff happens I suppose, but should not have came loose that quick.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i agree, my last two grizzlys have never had any issues like that, any usually those parts go when the CV boot is torn, no small rips in that by chance is there?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I should also note i am far from a mechanic also, thats why i buy yamahas :D and i mean that

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went out tobthe garage and looked at the wheel. There is one scuff about an inch and a half long. Nothing major. Nothing bent or gouged out. I'm guessing it the CV shaft there, just like in a truck. I will call the dealer in the morning and send the pics and see what they say.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Looks like the bushing(??) is pulling out of the wheel assembly it sticks out at the top about 1/16" and not at the bottom.

Sorry for my lack of terminology fellas I am not much of a mechanic..
I'm no mechanic wither, but that looks like the inner bearing seal is coming out. As tight as things are normally there, I'd check the axle nut and make sure that's not coming loose.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Looks like the spindle seal is leaking. Make sure that axle nut is tight. The nut will pull the axle into the spindle tight and let the seal form around the cv shaft. Also, a rock or something could have jammed in there and torn the seal but very unlikely.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Looks like a good case of warranty repair IMO. I agree with the axle nut being loose, but I wouldn't touch it. Just take it in and let them fix it for free.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The service department at my dealer called this morning. From the pics I sent, he says everything looks normal. Wipe the grease off and go ride and check to see if more grease appears. If it does, call back..
Also they noted on my account that I called about a cv issue and if one comes up they will fix it.
I'm not exactly relaxed but, I will run it and see if more grease comes out.

Coaching my boys football team for the next few days. Won't get her out of the garage until Friday or Saturday.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
The service department at my dealer called this morning. From the pics I sent, he says everything looks normal. Wipe the grease off and go ride and check to see if more grease appears. If it does, call back..
Also they noted on my account that I called about a cv issue and if one comes up they will fix it.
I'm not exactly relaxed but, I will run it and see if more grease comes out.

Coaching my boys football team for the next few days. Won't get her out of the garage until Friday or Saturday.
I am sorry, but it's time to find a new dealer. That is the most boneheaded thing he could say. Wipe the grease off and see if more comes out...WTF?! There is a seal there for a reason, grease should not magically be appearing. I would call another dealer if I were you. Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Well, it is a new unit. Could be on there from assembly. Yamaha does grease their vehicles unlike some others. LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which is what he eluded to also. There was extra grease on a new machine on the lot as well. Like I said not exactly relaxed about the situation. But I have a copy of the email I sent with the pics. Time will tell.

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
I am sorry, but it's time to find a new dealer. That is the most boneheaded thing he could say. Wipe the grease off and see if more comes out...WTF?! There is a seal there for a reason, grease should not magically be appearing. I would call another dealer if I were you. Just my 2 cents.
I would have to agree. Any dealer worth anything would tell you to bring it in and they'll take a look at it. Sounds like to me he doesn't seem too concerned about keeping you happy now that you've spent money on a new machine.

I wouldn't be as concerned about what's leaking out as much as what's getting in. Clearly the seal is bad that's why grease is leaking out, what's keeping water and dirt from getting in?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
That's the thing, not sure if grease is actually leaking out or it was there from assembly. Clean it off and see if more comes out or not.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
That's the thing, not sure if grease is actually leaking out or it was there from assembly. Clean it off and see if more comes out or not.
This is tricky though, as more may not come out until damage has been done- i.e. overheated and smoked bearing. Judging solely by the picture provided, it does not appear the grease could have come from anywhere else. Let's think about this, there are not grease points up there, and those are sealed bearings. That quantity of grease would not have come from assembly, I don't buy that for a second. I would be genuinely concerned here. However, in the event that it does fail, at least the OP has done his part, and contacted the dealer, who has it documented. I just would hate to see it come to that is all. I would be calling a second dealer...

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Well, if it was me. I would just pop the axle out and have a look. No sense in wondering if that seal is bad. Don't know if you had your axles out FTM but it's double sealed. One seal around the cup of the axle and another around the spline shaft. When I greased mine up, I put a bit to much between those seals and had some come out like that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts