Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I jacked my front end up today to see if any play was in the wheel bearings and when I check going from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock there is absolutely no movement . But when I shake the wheel from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock I have some movement I would say an eighth of an inch. When I shake the wheel and put my finger on the tie rods I feel a little movement there how much movement should there be and is an eighth of an inch to the point I should replace the tie rods.

Secondly I had the The Wolverine up to 45 mile an hour on road and let off of it and felt a terrible vibration in the floorboard this is the first time I have felt anything in the floorboard as far as vibration I was wondering if anybody has experienced this or if it could be my front tires which are the big horns with the combination of the movement in the tie rod ends. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I now have 1400 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I jacked my front end up today to see if any play was in the wheel bearings and when I check going from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock there is absolutely no movement . But when I shake the wheel from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock I have some movement I would say an eighth of an inch. When I shake the wheel and put my finger on the tie rods I feel a little movement there how much movement should there be and is an eighth of an inch to the point I should replace the tie rods.

Secondly I had the The Wolverine up to 45 mile an hour on road and let off of it and felt a terrible vibration in the floorboard this is the first time I have felt anything in the floorboard as far as vibration I was wondering if anybody has experienced this or if it could be my front tires which are the big horns with the combination of the movement in the tie rod ends. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I now have 1400 miles on it.
Well, jacking up the front end to check for play is good for a wheel bearing check, but not for tie rods, in my opinion. To check tie rods I always have the vehicle with all four tires on the ground. If I am by myself, I crawl under and pull side to side on the tie rods looking for movement. If it is enough to be felt in my hands, it is enough to keep an eye on. If it is enough to make a "click" or other audible sound when moving, it's time to replace. If I am not by myself, I have someone sit in the vehicle and slowly turn the steering wheel side to side, just enough to put pressure on the tie rods, and I watch and listen for movement. Now, this is just me, and I am not a mechanic for a living, so take it at that. Here is a link for the correct way to check for play, but not everyone has a dial indicator lol.

As for the vibration, this is very tough, as vibration is so subjective, and hard to convey without feeling it yourself. Is this the first time you have had it on the road at that speed? If not, and this is a new occurrence, there is the definitely the possibility that your ball joints are worn and need replaced. Again, hard to tell via the internet lol.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much
Mr Ford Truck Man I wil go to the link and check out procedure.
I'm certainly no mechanic either I just need to know when to take it to one.

·
Registered
575 Posts
There will likely be some movement in the side to side direction. There is going to be some play between the gear mesh in the rack. That small movement should be well within the safe range.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wolverine has the vibration in the floorboard, it was the plastic guard behind the tire not the one that extends out past the frame but inside the fender well. I didn't think that little plastic shield would make all that vibration but I picked up a stick and wedged it behind it to see if that was where it was coming from and it quit. I'm gonna put some foam tape behind it eventually.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much I'll check that out. That was first time I expieranced it, but it was the first time at that speed for a long time on the blacktop.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smith 89 . You were 100%correct on vibration, where I was in the mud and brush debris forced that flap just far enough from the firewall that it had just enough room to vibrate. Thanks again LL

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FORD TRUCK MAN you were also 100% on checking the tie rods when I let it down on all four wheels and had someone turning the steering wheel I could hear knocking in each tie rod end.
1400 miles and tie rods worn some ,the way that I Drive that machine doesn't upset me at all.
This is truly the off-road machine of the year and I love it

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
FORD TRUCK MAN you were also 100% on checking the tie rods when I let it down on all four wheels and had someone turning the steering wheel I could hear knocking in each tie rod end.
1400 miles and tie rods worn some ,the way that I Drive that machine doesn't upset me at all.
This is truly the off-road machine of the year and I love it
Cool beans man. Glad you got it figured out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts