Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys please check the amount of play at the connection of the half-shaft to the differential on all four corners. My passenger side front half-shaft wobbles like a RAZR half-shaft, probably almost 1/4" of side to side play, as if the bearing was nonexistent. All three other shafts have nearly zero play, which felt normal to me. My buddy's teryx had zero play at all four corners. My father in law's RAZR S 900 had the same 1/4" of play all around, which seems weird to me. My grizzly doesn't have play like that at any shaft. The whole reason all this started is because a guy I was riding with noticed a sizeable stick(1.25" diameter) stuck between my A-Arm and my half shaft. That's when we noticed the excessive movement and got concerned. Can anyone confirm if this is normal or at least the same on your wolverine?

Thanks,

FTM

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sounds unusual. I guess I did not know that RZR axle's wobble so much? If you jacked it up and put is on blocks, or had someone drive in front of you and watch, the axles should not wobble whatsoever. If they are, something is wrong and it could actually lead to premature wear on the bearings. The axle would move up and down with the suspension travel, but is should spin like like a balanced wheel with no wobble. You should expect the axle to have a little in/out play at the boots and maybe a hair if you pull it back and forth. Easy way to check would be put it 4wd, diff lock and drive it in high gear at about 20-30 miles an hour. You would feel the wobble in the wheel while on the gas pedal. Check down by the disk break too. Make sure the cylinder on the end of the axle after the joint looks the same as the other side, that is pushed all the way in and looks centered. I don't think the stick could make a difference but maybe it somehow pulled the outside of the shaft back through the steering knuckle a bit.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds unusual. I guess I did not know that RZR axle's wobble so much? If you jacked it up and put is on blocks, or had someone drive in front of you and watch, the axles should not wobble whatsoever. If they are, something is wrong and it could actually lead to premature wear on the bearings. The axle would move up and down with the suspension travel, but is should spin like like a balanced wheel with no wobble. You should expect the axle to have a little in/out play at the boots and maybe a hair if you pull it back and forth. Easy way to check would be put it 4wd, diff lock and drive it in high gear at about 20-30 miles an hour. You would feel the wobble in the wheel while on the gas pedal. Check down by the disk break too. Make sure the cylinder on the end of the axle after the joint looks the same as the other side, that is pushed all the way in and looks centered. I don't think the stick could make a difference but maybe it somehow pulled the outside of the shaft back through the steering knuckle a bit.
I think you may be misunderstanding what I am saying. It isn't a wobble while driving, it's just an excessive amount of radial movement at the splined shaft end where it is connected to the differential. I have seen this on rzrs because they have the fake awd crap so each axle is activated individually from the other when a different wheel is slipping. Either way, I posted this on jbs as well and someone there actually went out and checked there axle and they too have substantially more play in the front passenger than the other three. So, apparently its normal. Weird.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone help me figure out what is going on with my front differential. When im driving the machine it feels like it is in 4 wheel drive even though it is not. I took the front tires off and the drivers side wheel feels like it is sticking, and the passenger side is smooth. Im no sure if this is normal, but Im thinking the bearing might be bad. I've taken it in and out of diff lock and 4 wheel drive to see if it might be sticking, everything seams to be working right except for the sticking on the front driver side diff. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts