Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2016 R Spec with Fox shock upgrade.
Don't have more than few miles on it and noticed the rear springs are rubbing on the shock.
Had it to the dealer for some accessories mounted and mentioned this. When I picked the machine up I was told this is "normal".:confused:

Anyone have this issue? Any other replies from dealers or Yamaha..?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Same thing happens to the 900s RZR's that have the fox shocks. Not sure if I would call them an upgrade. I know the ones on the Polaris trails sag really bad too. Good news is they actually have spring upgrades for those.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the Fox option was around C$700.

The problem is different than the RZR one I think. The RZR uses a 2 part spring with a spacer - Yamaha uses a single spring with variable rates wound into one.

The spring is bowing in on one side and making contact with the lower part of the shock (not the threaded area). There is a plastic (?) collar where it rubs against. I'll try post a picture.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Ah, not the threaded area so it's not that bad. I know they all have a little flex but bowing that bad isn't normal. My plastic collars are pretty scratched up with the KYB's. More from mud/rocks between springs and collar but I'm sure it still rubs some.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pictures showing the machine fully weighted down with dog cargo and rear spring bowing to touch the shock.
IMG_6256.jpg IMG_6291.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Spoke with 4 dealers today,was told there is no fox shock upgrade.All 4 dealers told me the same thing, U.S. units have KYBs,Canadian units have Fox shocks.They said you can buy Fox,or any brand shocks, have them installed before you pick up the unit,you get the KYBs that came off of it.One dealer said if you really wanted a unit with Fox shocks,it is possible to get a Canadian unit for the same price,also said the Canadian units have reflectors on them,U.S ones don't

·
Registered
75 Posts
my unit is Canadian and it has KYBs on it maybe because its camo i dont know .There was a blue r-spec with fox shocks on it in the show room

·
Registered
718 Posts
my unit is Canadian and it has KYBs on it maybe because its camo i dont know .There was a blue r-spec with fox shocks on it in the show room
The fox shocks are a new addition. All of the originals had KYB

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There were 3 machines in stock at the dealer: Blue, Camo and Green (alphabetical order...)
I got the Blue one because it had the Fox shocks and was the same price as the others.
Was going to go Camo but figured all things being equal Fox shocks and blue was ok.
Hoping that was a good choice...!

The fox shocks are a new addition. All of the originals had KYB

·
Registered
718 Posts
There were 3 machines in stock at the dealer: Blue, Camo and Green (alphabetical order...)
I got the Blue one because it had the Fox shocks and was the same price as the others.
Was going to go Camo but figured all things being equal Fox shocks and blue was ok.
Hoping that was a good choice...!
I don't know that it will be any better or worse. From what I've heard over the years, the Fox shocks that come stock on machines aren't the full blown high end ones that you would get if you ordered a set aftermarket. I know that I ever want to change I'm gong with Elkas. I checked and its $2800 US for the Wolvie.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know that it will be any better or worse. From what I've heard over the years, the Fox shocks that come stock on machines aren't the full blown high end ones that you would get if you ordered a set aftermarket. I know that I ever want to change I'm gong with Elkas. I checked and its $2800 US for the Wolvie.
I think a guy would have to ride them and test them at the same time to notice any significant difference. For what i'm using mine for I think I'll be happy. If I need to get my speed fix I have a KTM dirt bike and mountain sleds with 160hp for that..!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There aren't any part numbers I can see on the Fox shocks but looking at the Fox website I would say they are a variant of the Fox 2.0 Podium RC2.

The demanding requirements of performance UTV vehicles demand a large diameter, piggyback reservoir shock. Now available with dual-speed compression adjust, rebound adjust, and bottom-out control - you can fine-tune your ride and handling to suit personal preference and terrain.

·
Banned
504 Posts
Elka jumped way up on it's prices for some models. Radflo is developing shocks for the Wolverine now. I want to check them out. The ones they make for the Viking are amazing.

I think a guy would have to ride them and test them at the same time to notice any significant difference. For what i'm using mine for I think I'll be happy. If I need to get my speed fix I have a KTM dirt bike and mountain sleds with 160hp for that..!

·
Registered
48 Posts
i don't understand the logic of Yamaha with this one.. to me the KYB looks to be better quality than the fox shocks. they seemed to be more protected and the gaz bottle seem to be bigger. i don't know about the ride...i really don't know anything about shocks i only compare photo of the US SE model and the Can model, i am from Canada so i will be with the FOX shocks. My friend has a new rzr 900 and the are FOX shocks and i don't like the idea of having the same one has a POPO.. fells more cheaps to me,,,maybe they are not the same model but Yamaha advertise them like it is a upgrade !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts