Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wassup fellas. Last week I took the buggy on some of our old 4 wheeler trails around the outskirts of town we used to ride 15+ years ago. Little stroll down memory lane so to speak.

Anyways, seems I got a small puncture somewhere. Can't find the hole, and it's a slow 3-4 day leak down. Yesterday I pulled the valve stem core, deflated the tire as much as possible, filled it with fix-a-flat (normally use slime), and put a bit more air in it. Stock tires, but it should do. We'll see.

Well, my grandpa was a farmer for 30 years, and he once told me that he did this to all of his smaller tires as soon as he gets them (trailer, truck, 4wheelers, sxs, etc.)

He said he did this, because it seals any future punctures before much air leaks, pretty much preventing flat tires from minor stuff, and allowed him to run the tires beyond bald in most cases which bought him time.

When I get time, I'm going to do this for the remaining 3 tires using slime. Figure it can't hurt if he did it for 30 years, and continued doing it even after farming.

I was just curious if anyone has ever done this themselves, or even heard of it?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I just put Quadboss sealant in all 4 tires yesterday actually.

IMG_4011.JPG

Reactions: Chief7

·
Registered
105 Posts
We put it in almost every ATV and UTV we sell. PCC (Puncture Control Compound) is what we use. Works like magic and it's not water based so it won't rust steel wheels over time.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
A 3-4 day leak should show up in a bucket of water. I carry a quart of slime for emergency situations. I don't like to routinely use tire sealant for couple of reason.....huge mess when you change tires and I worry about throwing out of balance especially in real cold temps.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
This is literally the first time I have ever used any type of tire sealant due to concerns mentioned above. I am using it because of leaky beadlocks that I am tired of fighting. I can see it being a mess but I plan on buying new wheels and tires later this year so that'll be someone else's problem lol.

This stuff is supposed to be good down to -33f and hopefully it wont effect balance even though it wouldn't effect my riding style much if it did throw them off some.

That's all how I justified spending $50 on it and giving it a try anyway lol

·
Premium Member
557 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
cabalas leva in the 2003 arctic cat 300 and still same tires. time to change them. always went flat before i put it in. no problem since. 2008 700 grizzle with slime. no problems but had bighorn originals on it. slimed the factory tires on the wolverine and put kold kutters in them and have new bighorns with wheels that have what ever they put in them. supposed to be some balancing thing and sealant .

i am a firm believer. i guess you could say

1 - 11 of 11 Posts