Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. We’re going on our first trip to Hatfield and McCoy at the end of the month. The lodge we rented is right off of the bear wallow trail system. But we were going to go down early and try to hit some of the historical stuff from the feud. What’s the best stuff to see? And the easiest places to access those trails ? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think Bearwallow is the only one I haven't ridden so far but I've been wanting to go, I'm not much help with this one...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Matewan is where a lot of the feud occurred and where the Matewan massacre happened.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Cross the river from Matewan into Kentucky. Down the road a bit on the left is the tree where someone got hung. The tree isn't there any more but there's a sign. On the right will be the cabin where someone got tried. It might not be the same cabin - it was probably rebuilt at some point. Beats me. Down the road where the trial cabin is you'll find an empty yard where there used to be a cabin where a bunch of hatfields or mccoys got massacred. A pretty boring thing to visit if you ask me. As you can tell, this stuff doesn't interest me much but a lot of people seem to get a kick out of it.

The one thing I do recommend seeing is the Hatfield cemetery where Devil Anse is buried. You have to park at street level and walk up a fairly steep hill but it's worth seeing because there are a lot of really old graves scattered about, many of them infants. You can't help but be amazed that back in the day before excavators someone managed to hand dig those graves with a shovel in that rocky soil. The area is scattered with Hatfield cemeteries so you'll need to find the right one. Whoever runs the place where you're staying will be able to give you directions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts